will hurt my chances to be in a masters program while applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brb2022

Reaction score
i recently got accepted into a masters program in which i would start in fall 2024. i am planning to apply to med school this cycle (mayo 2024). im wondering if it would not be wise to apply while im still in the masters program, and if i should wait until after im done with it. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the anticipated graduation date in spring 2025?
How certain are you that you could successfully complete the degree in that time frame? Some schools will make the offer of admission contingent on completion of a degree one is currently undertaking (so as not to poach students from masters programs and hurt those programs graduation rates). If you don't graduate on time you don't get to move on to med school if you are lucky enough to have an offer.

Reactions: 1 user
i recently got accepted into a masters program in which i would start in fall 2024. i am planning to apply to med school this cycle (mayo 2024). im wondering if it would not be wise to apply while im still in the masters program, and if i should wait until after im done with it. thanks!
I really think you should wait out a cycle and apply towards the end of your masters program.
Part of doing the masters is proving you can handle the type of classes they have, and applying when you have just begun will give you no new grades to show med schools. You’ll want to throw all your attention at your new classes and not at writing application essays.

Reactions: 1 users
First, does your master's program have a linkage? Your ability to get an interview in the spring will be contingent on your performance in the fall.

You made a bet on yourself by enrolling in an SMP and trusting the linkage process (which may include schools that consider your SMP a feeder pathway) to get you into a program quickly. Otherwise, you should wait until your 30 hours of SMP coursework have reported grades before applying regular decision again.

Reactions: 1 user