Being an unmotivated Psychology Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgyluvly

Reaction score
Hello, I’m a new member here so here’s a little background on me.

I’m fresh out of highschool and a freshmen in college as a Psychology major. I’m taking all online classes so I can balance school, work, and my relationships. My career goal is to become a clinical psychologist. I’m really stuck between a PhD or PsyD, but I’d honestly prefer clinical so probably a PsyD.

My issue is that I currently have only been in college for a month now and I hate it already. I want to drop out due to my lack of motivation, how much I’m slacking, procrastination, and my poor study schedule. I have cried multiple times because of how stressed school is making me and how poorly I’ve been controlling my school life.

However, lately I’ve seen a lot of working Doctors online and in person who inspire me. If they can do it, I can definitely do it. I don’t want my laziness and mental health to stop me from my goals.

What are some tips that you’d recommend for me? What are some ways for me to implement an effective study plan, boost motivation, have control over my school life, and generally be grounded?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My career goal is to become a clinical psychologist. I’m really stuck between a PhD or PsyD, but I’d honestly prefer clinical so probably a PsyD.
Sorry you're going through a rough patch. Since you're just starting post-HS education, I would try to focus your attention to the present, try to enjoy what you're learning, and allow the future to slowly sort itself out. It's obviously important to have direction but not at the detriment of applying unnecessary pressure. And there's nothing in particular that somebody has to accomplish their first year in college to eventually become a psychologist.
I have cried multiple times because of how stressed school is making me and how poorly I’ve been controlling my school life.
Are you overbooked between school, work, and other responsibilities? If you are genuinely past your mental, physical and emotional limits, no amount of skills or strategies will solve things and a brief pause from school could be beneficial.
I don’t want my laziness and mental health to stop me from my goals.
Laziness and mental health are really different, even if they produce the same outcome so figuring out what’s contributing to your current difficulties is really important. Often times, when folks make progress on their mental health, other things get a bunch easier. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Of course school is stressful and finding a school/work/life balance can seem impossible sometimes! The great thing about studying in Psych is that while we are learning about how to help others we can also learn about how to help ourselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m taking all online classes
I think this is a big problem. I teach undergrads and have seen the effects of online college, and it is not great. A big aspect of college is the social relationships you make with students and faculty. This helps to alleviate stress in many ways. Additionally, it is just a ****ty way to learn for the average college student (not all students, just the typical student). I would find a way to start taking classes in person and see if your motivation, studying habits, and general well being improve.

I think this is a big problem. I teach undergrads and have seen the effects of online college, and it is not great. A big aspect of college is the social relationships you make with students and faculty. This helps to alleviate stress in many ways. Additionally, it is just a ****ty way to learn for the average college student (not all students, just the typical student). I would find a way to start taking classes in person and see if your motivation, studying habits, and general well being improve.
I agree. I was less motivated in my online classes as an undergrad because it was so unstructured compared to in-person courses. My worst grade was in an online introduction to music course, actually, if I recall. I’d suggest doing in-person courses if at all possible to get the full college experience, and to join some social clubs to see if that makes any difference.