Being In A Fraternity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was in fraternity and I'm an active alumnus. It's one of those things that you get out of it what you put in, and it is amusing that so many people pigeonhole members of the fraternity as pink shirt and cargo-short wearing alcoholics.

To wit, there are certainly those kind of brothers in fraternities all across the country, but there are also brothers from many different walks of life, and these brothers aren't as easy to stereotype. There are brothers that are pre-med/pre-health and there are also brothers in business, brothers on university athletic teams, brothers who are leaders in student government, etc. Out of my pledge class, one of my brothers just finished his MBA from a top 10 b-school, one just finished his master's in economics and is pursuing his PhD, another is a realtor, another is a small business owner, etc. One thing I really liked about my chapter was we were incredible diverse in pretty much every category.

I can say without reservation that it's an individual decision and absolutely depends on where you go to school. "A" Fraternity may be excellent at one school and lackluster at another, while it may be the opposite with "B" Fraternity. It varies from organization to organization and chapter to chapter. If you want to pledge, I say go for it, and check out the different chapters at your school and see where you feel like you are the best fit.

Also, I don't know about other schools but at my undergrad school, the Greek all-male GPA was higher than the all-male GPA for the university. Most chapters have clauses in their bylaws that tie academics to remaining in good standing with the chapter, i.e. usually you have to keep your GPA above a certain point, or you can be on probation/permanently removed from the brotherhood.

Join for the parties & chicks (or dudes, if you roll that way, I had a few brothers who did), stay for the lifelong friendships, service to the community and brotherhood.

Members don't see this ad.

Like I said, I understand WHY they do those things (the money makes a bit more sense). I just don't like them. Pledging is expressly a form of "brainwashing." Not that there aren't plenty of examples of similar ideas in other parts of life, but that doesn't mean that I'm a big fan. Especially a lot of the initiation rituals that I know happen at my university (i.e. elephant walk).

I think even the frat boys here call them frats..

The "elephant walk" is not part of any ritual for any Greek-letter organization. It may be a local tradition but I can guarantee that anything like that is not going to be found in any ritual book. Rituals are meant to be symbolic and meaningful to members and initiates.

The "elephant walk" is not part of any ritual for any Greek-letter organization. It may be a local tradition but I can guarantee that anything like that is not going to be found in any ritual book. Rituals are meant to be symbolic and meaningful to members and initiates.

Although that was just an example of one particular ritual, how can you be sure of this? As far as I know, initiation rituals are extremely guarded secrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although that was just an example of one particular ritual, how can you be sure of this? As far as I know, initiation rituals are extremely guarded secrets.

The elephant walk is a hazing event that SOME fraternities do, NOT a ritual.

The elephant walk is a hazing event that SOME fraternities do, NOT a ritual.

I'm not part of the greek system, I'm not privy to the lingo, and I honestly don't care what the proper term is. It's part of the pledge/initiation/hazing/ritual/whatever-you-want-to-call-it period and that's all my point was, as clearly evidenced throughout the thread. :rolleyes:

If it's such a well guarded secret, how come you know :confused::confused::confused:

I was in a social fraternity so I can comment. Take this for what it's worth, but the Greek scene varies across universities. I went to a large state school where each chapter had their own house and a fairly good reputation. Guys were clean cut, not douches, and cared enough about their grades to not do anything ridiculous (for the most part). Definitely consider the image of the chapter before joining and paying dues. There's nothing worse than thinking you're joining the best chapter on campus and then find out that girls are generally creeped-out by the majority of the members and the guys are all shtty. Ask some upperclassman girls and they'll at least direct you away from the tool bags.

Dues: I was dirt poor coming to college and would never have dreamed of paying the $4,500+ dues that my chapter charged its members each year. Luckily I got a full-ride and was able to remain active throughout all four years. Some chapters will do this, and some won't. Figure out if money is a problem before making the commitment to pledge. My family is below the poverty line but it's clearly possible to join these kind of organizations if you do your homework and find the scholarships.

There are people who are prejudice against fraternities and sororities: they're always out there and the crowd varies depending on where you're at. At my school, the left-wing generally disliked us simply because they thought life was too easy for us. They hated the idea of how fraternity alumni would help us find jobs after college and the fact that we were well-rounded and made better grades. It's whatever. People always have stereotypes so just understand that before joining. Being in a fraternity won't make you the "big man on campus" but it will give you social options and some added benefits (see below).

Benefits: Fraternities generally have lots of functions including formals, bar tabs, philanthropy, etc. In turn, members have lots of chances to improve their conversational skills. Over the past few years, I've had tons of job interviews and conversations with important physicians and everyone has commented on my small-talk ability. I often hear, "You're very easy to talk to" or "You're very comfortable in this situation" or "You're going to be a great doctor because you can actually hold a conversation with a patient". I wasn't born with the ability to communicate--I developed it in college. In addition, fraternities generally have lots of leadership roles and opportunities to get involved with other chapters. Most guys in the chapter aren't looking to go to med school and therefore won't be overly cut-throat about who has what job title. In pre-med fraternities and honor societies, everyone and their grandma wants a title that they can put on their resume. I can honestly say that from an interviewer's standpoint, there's nothing sweeter than interviewing someone that can hold a conversation--not some pre-med robot that memorized some responses and is socially awkward.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I think its unfair to stereotype guys who join fraternities because not every fraternity is created equal (same thing about girls and sororities). And not every chapter between them is either. Granted, I've only really known one frat guy and I didn't like him AT ALL but I didn't like him even before he joined the frat, so thats a moot point. Most of the frat guys I came into class room contact with, I didn't even know that they were frat boys until they mentioned it.

The one thing that annoys me about Greek life at my school is some of the sorority girls. The ones in bio/have ambitions are generally smart, social, and care about their grades. However, when they are talking to another sorority girl their voices pitch like insane and start talking like idiotic valley girls. No joke. Plus, the dress code for their parties seems to be "Lingerie, because putting on more is too much work". I get it that they want to be sexy and cute and whatever, but come on. Why does every party have to be costumed by sluts R us?

I think its unfair to stereotype guys who join fraternities because not every fraternity is created equal (same thing about girls and sororities). And not every chapter between them is either. Granted, I've only really known one frat guy and I didn't like him AT ALL but I didn't like him even before he joined the frat, so thats a moot point. Most of the frat guys I came into class room contact with, I didn't even know that they were frat boys until they mentioned it.

The one thing that annoys me about Greek life at my school is some of the sorority girls. The ones in bio/have ambitions are generally smart, social, and care about their grades. However, when they are talking to another sorority girl their voices pitch like insane and start talking like idiotic valley girls. No joke. Plus, the dress code for their parties seems to be "Lingerie, because putting on more is too much work". I get it that they want to be sexy and cute and whatever, but come on. Why does every party have to be costumed by sluts R us?

because they are in college and they wanna get laid. hahaha, yeah thats just something thats been around for ages. The themes that frats come up with are basically geared towards granting girls an excuse to dress up as slutty as possible. Not that I would have a problem with that

Any NHPC members in the building?

Any NHPC members in the building?

right here. APhiA all day.

coming from the school where "Animal House" was based, which is also the school where 66% of eligible (sophomore and on...school wont let you join anything as a freshman) students ARE greek...i will say being greek was the best thing i've ever done. brotherhood (my frat was small, biggest it ever was in my undergrad was 16, typically though, it was around 7/8), social life, networking, leadership + the awards. I thought it was awesome.

sure NPHC life is completely different from mainstream frats, but at my undergrad, the mainstream frats also enjoyed themselves, and I enjoyed hangin out with them. It's truly an experience...I would recommend it for most people. Even the non-affiliated people enjoyed the social life the frats provide. No one discriminated if they weren't affiliated. All greeks had an open door policy.

the movie "Animal House" is not far off from the truth, but students know how to balance.

but don't let it influence a med school app, it should be a personal choice.

Good for lifelong friends.

word. we just had a bachelor party for a c/o 2006 brother...25 of us in vegas. epic. that was my first bachelor party...i feel like that should be the norm now. and the wedding should be even better, a lot more coming.

We were considering joining Delta Tau Delta and at our school its one of the few fraternities that takes academics and community involvement seriously, its not considered a "party-frat". Any suggestions, tips, or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

To the OP, as expected you got a lot of responses from premeds who despise greek life and stereotype everyone that is associated with it.

I'm in DTD and I'm really happy that I joined. My chapter parties pretty hard but you can make your experience in a fraternity whatever you want it to me. There are several guys in my fraternity who have medschool aspirations but the majority of the guys in my frat are business majors who party whenever possible hah.
I like being in a fraternity because my social life is basically planned out for me. I can work,work,work all week and when I feel the need to take a break and let loose there is already a party going on that I can head to.

The only challenge is making it through the pledge process. Pledge can be draining but let me tell you I did some of my best work during pledge because I realized I had to get my work/studying done immediately given that I was going to be busy all night long :laugh:. That sense of urgency always presses me to work harder.

Anyways, I hope you rush Delt cause we're sick and you can make the fraternity experience whatever you wish!

Last edited: