Being In A Fraternity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend and I were considering joining a Fraternity this fall to experience all that it has to offer - social, philanthropy, community, ect. I was wondering if that would have a Positive or Negative affect on my Med School Application. We were considering joining Delta Tau Delta and at our school its one of the few fraternities that takes academics and community involvement seriously, its not considered a "party-frat". Any suggestions, tips, or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That's funny. DTD is the party frat in my school.

I am in a fraternity myself and I doubt it would have any negative effects on your application unless you get carried away partying. If you can balance the social life with academics it should be good. Being in a fraternity will also give you leadership opportunities, which is important for med schools.

Hahahahahhaha I don't know one dtd chapter on any campus that isn't outta control. Take academics seriously? LMAO...

But I agree with SU1989

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining a fraternity was definitely the best decision that I made in college. Just be careful that you don't screw up your grades during your pledge semester (or associate member period, or whatever else they want to call it). Once you're a member of a fraternity it can take as much or as little of a time commitment as you'd like, but pledging a fraternity is like a 4 credit class in terms of time commitment. If at all possible drop down to the minimum number of credits you need to remain a full time student, in the easiest classes you can find, and make up the work later. Actually I think that's good advice even for freshmen who don't pledge as well.

Delts on my campus is definitely a party frat... weird.

Dude, this is why everyone hates pre meds. It's always a matter of "will this help me get in?" For once just do something because you enjoy it and want to do it. Being in a fraternity is about so much more than a line on your resume, and it insults me that you could reduce a great part of college life to whether or not it will get you in somewhere.

There are lots of frat brothers who get into medical school. Just keep your grades up and do other things outside your frat.

Hahahahahhaha I don't know one dtd chapter on any campus that isn't outta control. Take academics seriously? LMAO...

But I agree with SU1989

You said it more bluntly. :D

Just to add to my post: Take "involved in academics and community" with a grain of salt. Most, if not all, frats advertise themselves as being involved around the campus but most don't follow up with it. If you are solely rushing for academic recognition, don't do it.

Let's be honest. The best fraternities on any campus are the ones that have the best reputation amongst the student body, especially the sororities and freshmen (because that's where pledges come from).

How do they get that reputation? By partying hard.

And that, is the number one reason why someone decides to go Greek: the social life.

Of course there are other good reasons too such as the 50 to 60 group of guys that will have your back on campus and the inherent respect you get as being part of a good frat. But social life is always number one.

You have to ask yourself if you are mature enough to balance partying your brains out and maintaining a good GPA.

P.S. If I met you at rush and you told me that you wanted to join my frat b/c it would look good on a med school transcript, I would have balled you immediately.

I think it can be very positive, depending on how you get involved with it. If you hold a position in your house, that's leadership experience. Being in Greek life can also lead to a lot of other opportunities for getting involved in campus, such as being on executive councils for philanthropies,joining PHC/IFC, or getting involved in student government. Yes, social life tends to be a big part of it, but there's a lot more to it.

Basically, if it seems fun, do it. I was in Greek life and it was awesome. As long as you continue to work hard on school and find that balance, it's totally worth doing. (Also, at least at my school, Greek GPA was higher than non-Greek). If you're joining a fraternity you feel comfortable in and have respect for, they'll probably value school like you and you might even find some study partners.

Like most have said if you think you're capable of balancing school with the social and philanthropic activities then go for it. It was the best decision I made during undergrad. Non-Greeks tend to call it "buying friends," but they honestly just don't understand. There is a substantial bond that develops between you and your brothers that will last your whole life, if the alums from my chapter are any indication.

Because on most campuses the chapters compete for service hours, highest GPA, most campus involvement, etc it's also a great way to get involved. You can really make a difference when you have 60 guys working together towards something. Undoubtedly there are older brothers who are/have applied to medical school and jumped through all the hoops. They can give you some great advice. I taught an MCAT course with another brother to those interested in taking the test in my chapter.

Also, the parties are awesome. I recommend you be single while pledging.

Deciding to join was the best decision I made too. It was the best of both worlds. We drank until we dropped and had fun...but at the same time did work. The chapter president scored a 38 on his MCAT, and his "big brother" is starting at UCLA Med this fall. It was an awesome experience to see two of the smartest individuals I know juggle social and pre-med. A great learning experience.

Let's be honest. The best fraternities on any campus are the ones that have the best reputation amongst the student body, especially the sororities and freshmen (because that's where pledges come from).

And that, is the number one reason why someone decides to go Greek: the social life.

Of course there are other good reasons too such as the 50 to 60 group of guys that will have your back on campus and the inherent respect you get as being part of a good frat. But social life is always number one.

You have to ask yourself if you are mature enough to balance partying your brains out and maintaining a good GPA.

P.S. If I met you at rush and you told me that you wanted to join my frat b/c it would look good on a med school transcript, I would have balled you immediately.

Inherent respect for being part of a "good frat" . You gotta be kidding me. Where is this respect coming from? The other frats or is the student body of your school in awe of your amazing fraternity?

Members don't see this ad :)
4 credit class... more like 40. 8pm-6am x 7 nights = 70 hours/ week. Good practice for internship year though, and you won't regret it after if you are at that greek like type of school.

Inherent respect for being part of a "good frat" . You gotta be kidding me. Where is this respect coming from? The other frats or is the student body of your school in awe of your amazing fraternity?

Good question. I'm pretty sure the only respect you'll be getting are from alums and freshmen girls.

Reactions: 1 user

If you are part of a group that people in your community associate with a trait (intelligence, good social life, fat potheads, or whatever) then when people learn you are part of that group they will associate you with those traits. It's the same reason people think that doctors are smart, Marines are brave, teachers are trustworthy, and lawyers are scum. If the traits are positive then that association is called respect. It's human nature, and in no way unique to fraternity life. And, like it or not, some fraternities definitely garner more respect than others.

Last edited:
definitely join, not joining would be a big mistake if you're interested. SDN isn't the best place to ask people about this though because half these people are gunners who study friday and saturday and are neurotic pre-meds.

You should definitely join if you have the following:

pink polos
boat shoes
cargo shorts

Here's what a typical frat looks like:

300-jersey-shore-guys.jpg

Join a frat if you want a douchebag label stamped to your forehead for the rest of your life. Just join a gang, same fulfillment of weak-herd mentality-animalistic-social needs without paying money and performing borderline homosexual activities with your brahs.

If you are part of a group that people in your community associate with a trait (intelligence, good social life, fat potheads, or whatever) then when people learn you are part of that group they will associate you with those traits. It's the same reason people think that doctors are smart, Marines are brave, teachers are trustworthy, and lawyers are scum. If the traits are positive then that association is called respect. It's human nature, and in no way unique to fraternity life. And, like it or not, some fraternities definitely garner more respect than others.

Members of a desirable fraternity are associated with traits such as good party organization abilities, high alcohol tolerance, and depth of experience in the vaginal region.

If you're a social butterfly and would like to devote long, long hours to socializing and bro'ing out, by all means do so. Keep in mind that these hours subtract from your ability to do more resume-worthy activities like research and volunteering. But I'd be insincere to suggest that joining a fraternity isn't valuable in itself. You can gain a lot of responsibility within your organization and learn to organize a multitude of activities (besides parties) like fundraisers and wide-scale community service. Different strokes for different folks.

If you're interested at all, you should probably go ahead and do it. Just don't neglect school and **** up your priorities.

Case in point: this thread. There are always going to be fraternities that fulfill the stereotype, but there are also many others that don't and can make your college experience amazing. The fraternity you're talking about sounds like they have their values in the right place and in line with yours, so you should definitely go for it. If it doesn't work out after a few terms and it's not for you, you can disaffiliate. But college is your only opportunity to have this sort of experience, so you should make the most of it!

My friend and I were considering joining a Fraternity this fall to experience all that it has to offer - social, philanthropy, community, ect. I was wondering if that would have a Positive or Negative affect on my Med School Application. We were considering joining Delta Tau Delta and at our school its one of the few fraternities that takes academics and community involvement seriously, its not considered a "party-frat". Any suggestions, tips, or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

im going to go ahead and admit that i am indeed prejudiced against frat and sorority members.

if i saw your app it would probably have a higher chance of going into the trash.

if only it were just for the lulz

If you're a social butterfly and would like to devote long, long hours to socializing and bro'ing out, by all means do so. Keep in mind that these hours subtract from your ability to do more resume-worthy activities like research and volunteering..

See, I felt the opposite. I mean, I guess if you're a schizoid and are fine devoting all of your solitary life to resume building a fraternity could be considered a time waster, but if you have some requirement for a social life I think it's actually a really efficient way to make and maintain friends. The main reason that I gradually lost contact with my non-fraternity friends from college was that it was such a friggin time sink to maintain the relationships. They were always getting involved with something new, or moving, or disappearing because they found a new girlfried, or one of them had cheated with the other one's girlfriend and now I needed to choose who I wanted to stay friends with. If I didn't keep abreast of current events I would rapidly not be a friend o any of them anymore, and when I had rough patches of my own that's exactly what happened.

The fraternity, on the other hand, was stable. When I accidently overloaded myself and had to devote a semester to schoolwork, or when I spent a semester outside the city, or when I went into MCAT fugue, whenever I came out of it the house was still there and I was still a part of it. Meanwhile everyone else had pretty much faded out. It let me devote time to resume worthy activities because I knew that I had friends to come back to when I was done.

See, I felt the opposite. I mean, I guess if you're a schizoid and are fine devoting all of your solitary life to resume building a fraternity could be considered a time waster, but if you have some requirement for a social life I think it's actually a really efficient way to make and maintain friends. The main reason that I gradually lost contact with my non-fraternity friends from college was that it was such a friggin time sink to maintain the relationships. They were always getting involved with something new, or moving, or disappearing because they found a new girlfried, or one of them had cheated with the other one's girlfriend and now I needed to choose who I wanted to stay friends with. If I didn't keep abreast of current events I would rapidly not be a friend o any of them anymore, and when I had rough patches of my own that's exactly what happened.

The fraternity, on the other hand, was stable. When I accidently overloaded myself and had to devote a semester to schoolwork, or when I spent a semester outside the city, or when I went into MCAT fugue, whenever I came out of it the house was still there and I was still a part of it. Meanwhile everyone else had pretty much faded out. It let me devote time to resume worthy activities because I knew that I had friends to come back to when I was done.

Lemme guess, you're the guy that looks ******ed?

douche.jpg

I am not in a frat, but, I have a few good friends that are and spent a lot of time "on the scene." My sister was also in a sorority. Anyways, I think if people say frats don't take up a lot of your time they are either minimizing, or had a much different experience than I observed. I could go over to my friends frat pretty much any day of the week and there would be some kind of party going on if not a rager. Even if you don't want to join, I don't see how you could get any studying done at night with that going on. That being said, I know that a few guys in the house had good GPA's. Some frats/sororities are "better" than others. You really need to ask around and find out the reputation of different ones. Personally, I found a lot of people to be really pretentious, especially the girls from sororities (not all of course, but a lot). It may be different at your school. I did have a lot of good times there though, and also met some cool people. If you are the kind of person that can manage time really well and does not mind working while others play than go for it. If you are doing it just for another thing to put on your app than don't.

I think that the best thing to be gained, though, is connections. Remember, it's not what you know but who you know. People with no work experience don't really get how epicly important that saying is.

You should definitely join if you have the following:

pink polos
boat shoes
cargo shorts

Join a frat if you want a douchebag label stamped to your forehead for the rest of your life. Just join a gang, same fulfillment of weak-herd mentality-animalistic-social needs without paying money and performing borderline homosexual activities with your brahs.

im going to go ahead and admit that i am indeed prejudiced against frat and sorority members.

if i saw your app it would probably have a higher chance of going into the trash.

if only it were just for the lulz

god you guys suck

I met an interviewer on the trail who was in my fraternity. We had some good laughs about things we did during pledging and during college. In fact, a lot of conversations sprang out of the philanthropy that my fraternity did and the leadership positions that I held within it (and the organizational skills I gained).

That being said, yes, we did throw parties and yes, many non-Greeks will never respect Greek life. But, as in most things in life, balance is the key. Get to know both Greeks and non-Greeks. Go to some parties, but study elsewhere when you have an exam in 3 days.

I saw this quotation somewhere a long time ago, and I think it explains the attitudes that you'll find on SDN very well: "From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it."

Also, this:

Haters_gonna_hate.jpg

Fraternities would make more sense to me if:
1. You didn't have to pay a lot of money to join
2. You didn't have to.. pledge. (ingratiate yourself to your senior brothers)

I understand why they do them--look how many people say the greek system was the best choice of their college career--but that doesn't turn me off of frats any less. Otherwise, you could just start/join an exclusive club with your friends who you didn't pay for.

From personal experience, to get you to pledge all fraternities will tell you that they take academics very seriously. They will even tell you that there will be a couple of days per week designated to having study sessions to help each other out, and if more help is needed, tutors will be brought in. At least in my case, after making the commitment to pledge, nothing could have been farther from the truth.

Unfortunately my frat was outta control on another level, and we got busted and kicked off campus.

I understand why they do them--look how many people say the greek system was the best choice of their college career--but that doesn't turn me off of frats any less. Otherwise, you could just start/join an exclusive club with your friends who you didn't pay for.

1. Chapter dues are mainly for parties and subsidizing brotherhood events/semiformal/formal. Because of them, I never had to dig out my wallet every time all of us got together to order wings and watch the game or we went out to get the keg(s) for the next party.

2. Pledging is hard and it sucks but it is necessary because it makes you pay a price and make sacrifices. If pledging didn't exist, being in X fraternity wouldn't mean a thing to any of its individuals and X fraternity would fall apart

From what I've seen, frats take up a LOT of time. It may be difficult to get the grades you need to go to medical school.

I think if you want to join a frat, fine, but set boundaries and manage your time really well. I also suggest, if possible, that you DO NOT live in the frat house. You need to have a good place to study/sleep and you will not be able to do this in a frat house.

not everything in life is about getting into med school. that being said i agree with everyone on that the OP shouldn't join a frat for the academic/community service experience, thats just silly. Being in a frat definitely has its perks, I got my summer internship from older brothers who knew people in research labs, and socially, since the greek system at my school is very close knit, I have had a great time enjoying the parties. Being in a frat definitely has also helped me cope with the stress of being pre-med. Its good to have an escape from school sometimes and just have fun.

and i don't know why jersey shore pictures are relevant to frat brothers because this is definitely what people see when they hear "fraternity:

4429.jpg

Yeah, I agree with MDhomie...if you join a frat, do it for the social events/opportunities.

I'm a female but never joined (nor will join) a sorority. I do volunteer work on my own and am successful in that regard. I think the volunteer work that greeks do can honestly be quite silly...a lot of them are "thons" to raise money and that's it. I want to go out and help people. So I do that on my own and was able to find lots of opportunities without having to join a greek group.

From what I've seen, frats take up a LOT of time. It may be difficult to get the grades you need to go to medical school.

I think if you want to join a frat, fine, but set boundaries and manage your time really well. I also suggest, if possible, that you DO NOT live in the frat house. You need to have a good place to study/sleep and you will not be able to do this in a frat house.
false and false. I and many others have done just fine. it depends on the person, regardless of whether they go greek or not, being in a fraternity shouldn't be a scapegoat for bad grades.

Doctors that help people, Marines that defend our country, Teachers that educate the future of our society. Those groups deserve respect.

Here is the post that mentioned inherent respect:

Hardly sound like a group that is loaded with positive traits that would garner respect.

I joined a party frat. I got accepted to med school this year. I sacrificed a week of raging to study for my o-chem final. Here's to you, neurotic pre-med OP, I'll crack open a nice cold one tonight and reflect back on all the great memories and ******ed **** I've done in my college career instead of nights in a research lab or studying. GO GREEK

I joined a party frat. I got accepted to med school this year. I sacrificed a week of raging to study for my o-chem final. Here's to you, neurotic pre-med OP, I'll crack open a nice cold one tonight and reflect back on all the great memories and ******ed **** I've done in my college career instead of nights in a research lab or studying. GO GREEK
ftw/ thread

Because great memories and doing ******ed **** requires being in a frat. :rolleyes:

Never said it did, just saying some of the things I've gotten from it

There is some appeal on my part to be in a social frat, but the options at my institution are just... bad. Frat guys seem like super tools. I know one or two that are good guys, but most of them I don't care for and are borderline ******ed.

Perhaps it's different at other schools.

I don't know how it is up north or out west, but in the south fraternity men do NOT wear cargo shorts (unless they're PFGs). We do NOT gel our hair into blow outs. We do NOT have fake tans.

Please stop calling it a "frat." Would you call your country a c-u-n-t?

1) The money pays for the things you use as part of the fraternity, mostly housing and the social budget. Generally if you actually use those things being in a fraternity is cheaper than not (in the case of my house, thousands of dollars a year cheaper). The only people who pay a lot more than they would have outside of the Greek system are the ones who never move into the house and go out on their own every weekend rather than using the house's social events. I'll admit I've never understood why someone would do that.

2) I think your missing the point of pledging. The idea is not to kiss ass, but rather to get to know 50-100 people really, really well in less than a semester. Generally pledging involves some sort of mechanism (quizes or inerviews or whatever) to get you multiple one on one interactions with each individual brother as well as a lot of group activities (competing in homecoming competitions, constructing things for parties, improving the house) to teach the new associates how to work with eachother and the house as a team. It's really not that different from a sports team, except that the activities are stupid and fun rather than grimly serious and miserable and you end up with more close friendships at the end of the process.

I don't know how it is up north or out west, but in the south fraternity men do NOT wear cargo shorts (unless they're PFGs). We do NOT gel our hair into blow outs. We do NOT have fake tans.

Uh, I go to school in the south and both of these things happen in frats.

They happen outside of freternities too. Go to ANY gym and look around. There are tools everywhere

I was hesitant to join a fraternity after rushing a few years ago, and it turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. My parents disapproved, they thought that it embodied the "Animal House" stereotype, and as you can see here, there will always be people who have a negative stigma towards Greek Life. Here's my story.

I rushed a few years ago as a freshman with a small group of friends. Greek life is a big part of my school (about 30%) and I did my best to go to as many houses as possible. I found one house I was completely comfortable in. I lived in a dorm where I got along with my hallmates, but was not very close to them. This house that I found made me feel comfortable. I became friends with the brothers there and when offered a bid, I decided to join. As annoying as pledging was, and there was nothing I was ever forced to do, it was the greatest fun I will never do again. A unique experience.

Fast forward a bit. I've held 2 positions in my house, including president, attended conferences, won campus awards because of the work i did etc. All that is great and looks good on my application. But that's not why I joined. I joined because of the people in the house, the people in my pledge class. I joined because these were the people I wanted to spend the rest of my college career with. The people who I want to stay in contact with, who I want to be at my wedding and so on. These people hold a special place in my life.

I've done a lot of work with my fraternity, so I speak from a different perspective and one of both fun and responsibility. I don't regret my decision at all. The friendships I've made will never be forgotten. I met my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years through the Greek system. Some of my closest friends were the brothers in the house who have graduated, the guys in my own pledge class, and even those below me who I helped recruit.

I've had my share of fun, because let's be honesty, you join for the social scene. But the friendships and lifelong bonds that joining a fraternity has brought me is something I will forever carry with me. Follow your heart. Don't ever join because of a name, because of the letters. Join because of the people.

1. Chapter dues are mainly for parties and subsidizing brotherhood events/semiformal/formal. Because of them, I never had to dig out my wallet every time all of us got together to order wings and watch the game or we went out to get the keg(s) for the next party.

2. Pledging is hard and it sucks but it is necessary because it makes you pay a price and make sacrifices. If pledging didn't exist, being in X fraternity wouldn't mean a thing to any of its individuals and X fraternity would fall apart

1) The money pays for the things you use as part of the fraternity, mostly housing and the social budget. Generally if you actually use those things being in a fraternity is cheaper than not (in the case of my house, thousands of dollars a year cheaper). The only people who pay a lot more than they would have outside of the Greek system are the ones who never move into the house and go out on their own every weekend rather than using the house's social events. I'll admit I've never understood why someone would do that.

2) I think your missing the point of pledging. The idea is not to kiss ass, but rather to get to know 50-100 people really, really well in less than a semester. Generally pledging involves some sort of mechanism (quizes or inerviews or whatever) to get you multiple one on one interactions with each individual brother as well as a lot of group activities (competing in homecoming competitions, constructing things for parties, improving the house) to teach the new associates how to work with eachother and the house as a team. It's really not that different from a sports team, except that the activities are stupid and fun rather than grimly serious and miserable and you end up with more close friendships at the end of the process.
Like I said, I understand WHY they do those things (the money makes a bit more sense). I just don't like them. Pledging is expressly a form of "brainwashing." Not that there aren't plenty of examples of similar ideas in other parts of life, but that doesn't mean that I'm a big fan. Especially a lot of the initiation rituals that I know happen at my university (i.e. elephant walk).

I think even the frat boys here call them frats..