Being labeled an alternate before interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phantasmagorical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide insight into what it means to be labeled an alternate before a school even has its interview days? I (and a number of others, based on the TGC results page) received an email from the University of Florida saying that even though I didn't receive an invitation to interview, I "remain under strong consideration as an alternate" and could be called to do a phone interview anytime before April 11th.

The only situation in which I can imagine actually getting said phone interview is if following the in-person interviews in a couple of weeks, the POI/department decide they don't like anyone who came in and want to consider other applicants. Is this a fair assessment? Does anyone know how often this actually happens?

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone else who got this email wants to PM me, I'm curious as to who people's POIs were/how many of us might be alternates for each POI.

Members don't see this ad.

The only situation in which I can imagine actually getting said phone interview is if following the in-person interviews in a couple of weeks, the POI/department decide they don't like anyone who came in and want to consider other applicants. Is this a fair assessment? Does anyone know how often this actually happens?

Sounds about right. The lab might have gotten 6 really good applications for 1 spot, for example, and the POI didn't want to invite all 6 people for 1 position but would still be happy if you were to go there.

It happens. People bomb interviews. A person can be #1 on paper but be an absolute interpersonal nightmare on interview day. Also, their top choices might go elsewhere (probably less likely to happen at UF though, honestly).

Agree w/MCParent. Some programs send out a first wave of rejections to those who are clearly not a fit to the program. Then they identify a reasonable number to interview. Then there is a third group that contains applicants who are a good fit and strong but not quite as strong (in terms of fit or previous experience) as those invited to interview. If someone from that third group were to call to inquire, they'd be told that they are an alternate. They may not be an alternate for a particular lab-perhaps they'd fit in any one of three labs. At that point, it can be helpful to express your continued interest. There may be 20 applicants in that pool. If there is reason to go to that pool, knowing who is still interested can bring that person to the top of the alternate list.