Being named in a grant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My PI is naming me as a research assistant/collaboator in a large ($1.5 million) grant application. I've been heavily involved in project conceptualization and somewhat in the application writing and, if we get the grant :xf::xf::xf:, will be likely be involved with other aspects of the work (further conceptulization, data collection, analysis, etc) and this is pretty closely related to what I want to study in grad school:

Would it be worth putting the grant on my CV if we don't get it (we were one of four or five sites selected [based on LOI's] to submit a full proposal)? If we do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this as well - I was put on a grant that's currently under review.

Not sure if things are done a little differently in the US, but here in Canada you wouldn't put an unsuccessful grant on your CV. But here's hoping the grant is accepted and this becomes a non-issue!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is tricky, I'm not sure.

I know young faculty often put unfunded grants on their CV (provided the priority score isn't in the "Complete embarassment" category), since even applying takes time and shows some hope for extramural funding in the future.

I don't think I would put it on your CV as a grant as an undergrad, that seems a bit presumptuous. I won't even do it as a grad student until I start submitting my own. Realistically, you may be involved in some components of it, but I'm sure the bulk of the responsibility is falling to the PI and Co-I's.

I'm not trying to downplay it, this is absolutely fantastic experience and something many people don't even get in grad school. I'd be more inclined to mention it in a "description of duties" section for your lab (e.g. Collected and tested urine specimens, helped prepare grant applications, etc.), and be ready to talk about it at interviews. Like I said, its great experience, I just worry it might look like padding or like you're trying to inflate your experiences if its too emphasized on your CV.

^
I know at least some of the faculty here have an "unfunded grants" section on their CV's, which I did find odd. Hopeffully, we get the grant! :xf::xf::xf:

Edit: Thanks for your response Ollie. When I talked to my PI about it last week, she did mention putting the grant title on my CV (presumably, if we get funded) along with my RA title and duties when I apply next year, but I would hate for it to seem like padding. I know I'm being named largely for strategics purposes (grant on developmental disabilities and I have a DD), so I'm not deluding myself with grandeur or anything! ;) I guess I'll cross that bridge when I start applying next year.

How would I phrase something like "assist in project conceptualization" on a CV (helping to choose measures, methods of analysis, etc., as part of the grant team [which is huge, something like 4 or 5 co-PI's and a few [3?] other Co-I's, plus three RA's]).

Last edited:
I'd be more inclined to mention it in a "description of duties" section for your lab (e.g. Collected and tested urine specimens, helped prepare grant applications, etc.), and be ready to talk about it at interviews. Like I said, its great experience, I just worry it might look like padding or like you're trying to inflate your experiences if its too emphasized on your CV.

I concur with Ollie. I've been on several notable grants (from ACS, NIH, NIMH, some funded, some unfunded, yadda, yadda), but in the capacity of a research assistant, then coordinator, even at a one point a co-investigator. All my contributions to the development or maintenance of the grants were part of the research team. It would look like I was padding my CV if I implied that I was actually a recipient of the grant. I was not. I was brought in by the P.I.

Therefore, each grant is mentioned on my CV under the "professional /research experience" section and if I presented as a result of work done on the grant, the presentations/manuscripts are under the "presentations/publications" section. Essentially, I get to fluff up my CV, but in sections where it's applicable and legitimate.:cool:

Good luck. :luck: It sounds like valuable experience and something to definitely talk about in your ps and during interviews.

And futureapppsy2, yes, I think "assist in project conceptualization" sounds fine. You can always explain what you did, in person, if they are so inclined to ask. You could talk about it in your ps, like what it meant for you to contribute in a significant way based on your own experience.

Last edited: