Being asked to mediate a meeting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeor1006

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work part-time for a specialty clinic and recently put in my notice to leave. Part of the reason for my departure is the office staff and office culture. I don't want to get in the specifics but it is bad. Two physicians quit within the last couple of months. The practice manager, who I consider a personal friend, told me they dream of quitting everyday.

A provider, who I am friendly with, asked me to mediate a meeting for the entire office staff. They want to have a conversation without people getting defensive or prickly. I suggested the upper management but this person doesn't trust their leadership.

I don't think I want to do this. I am so emotionally disengaged and I just want to get the hell out. I do, however, feel bad for this person and practice manager. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. That seems like something management should be doing, even if direct supervisors instead of upper management. I'm also not exactly sure what this person is hoping to accomplish. But if it's going to be bringing to light and discussing various problematic behaviors, that is absolutely not something you want to get involved with if you aren't in a managerial role.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I work part-time for a specialty clinic and recently put in my notice to leave. Part of the reason for my departure is the office staff and office culture. I don't want to get in the specifics but it is bad. Two physicians quit within the last couple of months. The practice manager, who I consider a personal friend, told me they dream of quitting everyday.

A provider, who I am friendly with, asked me to mediate a meeting for the entire office staff. They want to have a conversation without people getting defensive or prickly. I suggested the upper management but this person doesn't trust their leadership.

I don't think I want to do this. I am so emotionally disengaged and I just want to get the hell out. I do, however, feel bad for this person and practice manager. Thoughts?
Three thoughts come immediately to mind...

1) the phrase "not my clowns, not my circus"

2) they haven't given you authority but want you to shoulder their responsibility for them; which sounds like the core organizational pathology that led to this situation in the first place; the corporate/governmental world is eaten up with this pathology, at present, and I would consider my non-participation in that pathology to be a moral act

3) if anything, this may be a good opportunity for you to clearly, respectfully, but firmly articulate your needs, opinions, and boundaries

But, to be clear, a simple, "no" would suffice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I barely paid attention to the IO stuff in the EPPP material, but I seem to recall there is some BS about mediating between employers/employees.

This proposal sounds like a great way to get "earn" some civil liability, and/or legal trouble.

Appreciate everyone's input. Your consensus confirmed what I was thinking. This seems like something upper management should do, hence my suggestion to that provider. That person's request comes from a place of ignorance I believe. Honestly I am not paid enough to get in this mess.

Reactions: 5 users
I barely paid attention to the IO stuff in the EPPP material, but I seem to recall there is some BS about mediating between employers/employees.

This proposal sounds like a great way to get "earn" some civil liability, and/or legal trouble.
Can you elaborate? What kind of civil/legal issues may arise from this?

Can you elaborate? What kind of civil/legal issues may arise from this?
I'm not really sure. Employment law is a whole area of the law, with forms, professional standards of conduct, etc. I have no idea what legally constitutes "harassment", or a "hostile work environment", because I'm neither an HR professional nor an attorney.

What happens when you step into someone else's role? Can they say you are acting as an agent of the employer? Can your employer fire you for not working within the confines of you job description? Can you be sued for doing something without the usual expected standards of HR? I don't know, but I wouldn't do it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd straight up tell them "on second thought and much consideration, I don't feel comfortable doing this, and respectfully decline. Best of luck.."