Belize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rituritu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have no medical background. I recently have looked into applying to med school. It's something that I've always wanted to but never had the courage. I don't have any of the premed requirements. I recently discovered that a few programs accept students without premeds. I have a friend in Belize and I am considering applying. I just need advice. What are my options if I want to go asap?? Is going to a school that has only been open for less than ten years a safe route? My friend who is there loves it and had the same dilemma as me before she left. I just want to make the best decision. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

How old are you? Married? Kids? I can't help w/o this info.

rituritu said:
Hello everyone,
I have no medical background. I recently have looked into applying to med school. It's something that I've always wanted to but never had the courage. I don't have any of the premed requirements. I recently discovered that a few programs accept students without premeds. I have a friend in Belize and I am considering applying. I just need advice. What are my options if I want to go asap?? Is going to a school that has only been open for less than ten years a safe route? My friend who is there loves it and had the same dilemma as me before she left. I just want to make the best decision. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks :oops:

The most important issue is being able to be licensed in a state. Going to any foriegn medical school has it limits. However, if your like me and others who have made the decision to go to a foriegn medical, you'll do your research before packing your bags and heading out of the country.

You'll have to deal with people mocking you, thinking your less than them and some medical boards not accepting you upon graduation. I personally made the decision that if I could only be licensed in one state, it is well worth the price. This is just me. Others think I'm crazy when there are other options such as applying to a DO school or going to a caribbean medical school that has more state licensing options.

You'll have to look into the quality of education you'll recieve. It is important for you to understand that most foriegn medical school do not train their physician to take the USMLE or ECFMG. If you choose a foriegn medical school that is intended on educating their student to practice in that country, they can care less about the USMLE or ECFMG. However, if you attend a foriegn medical school that is intended on sending their students back to the US, they tend to focus on passing the USMLE/ECFMG.

Another issue you may want to look into is finding out if you graduate, can you practice medicine in that country? Does the school offer rotations in that country? Is the school accredited in that country? Does the school have teaching hospitals affliated with the school? The list can go on about financial aid, housing, transportation, ect.

I have found that the less years the school has been in operation, the more risk is associated with it. Medical boards are coming down hard on US foriegn medical graduates. This is true for schools that the boards feel are not comparable to that of the US medical school education requirements. For example, some states require that all pre-med work be down before being accepted into medical school. Other require that the graduate be abel to be licensed in the country they graduated. Other require that students have a certain amount of time at the main campus. Some have banned schools all together. These are just few of the issues you'll have to face.

By no means am I trying to say you should not go. I'm only trying to say you need to fully understand this before going aboard.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now I am retaking Biology to freshen up what I learned before. I'll be honest, I don't see how ANYONE can have a grasp in medschool without taking the prequisite courses. I mean....even if its just to understand the basics.

If I share HALF of what I am getting out of class with someone, and they give me a blank look....how can they be sitting next to me in med school?

So what does it say about a school that is going to accept people who have not taken their prereqs? Thats kinda scary.

naturalmd7 said:
I'll be honest, I don't see how ANYONE can have a grasp in medschool without taking the prequisite courses. I mean....even if its just to understand the basics.

If I share HALF of what I am getting out of class with someone, and they give me a blank look....how can they be sitting next to me in med school?

So what does it say about a school that is going to accept people who have not taken their prereqs? Thats kinda scary.

Many of the foriegn medical schools do not require student to have taken US pre-med classes and yet they turn out good physicians. One can not compare US entrance requirement to that used by foriegn medical schools. The caribbean medical schools are an exception. If that's where your headed then you wont find anyone who hasn't taken US medical school entrance requirements. However, If you apply to foriegn medical schools outside of the caribbean you may be in for a shock. Your classmate may be fresh out of high school. And yet, they turn out good physicians and have been doing so for some time now.

Just because someone does not have US medical school entrance requirement met, does not mean that they can't understand what is taught in medical school or will struggle with the material presented. I did not take US medical school entrance requirements and I'm doing just fine. I do not find the material to difficult to understand and I'm passing my exams. Actually, everything that I've been learning is a continuation of what I learned in medical assisting classes. Perhaps this is why I don't find the material to difficult to grasp.

Yeah....but thats a totally different curriculum. Highschool overseas is totally different than in the US...and when they get to medschool, its different as well.

I am basically talking about schools who claim to follow the US standards of teaching. I know of one school in particular in Belize that is claiming that...and one of the professors quit because he said he was basically teaching highschoolers. I heard he went to one of the neighboring schools and tried to get work there.

I personally was accepted into one of those schools, and technically, my premeds were not done. On top of that, I would not have been anywhere near ready as compared to now.

Hey,
Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay in mine. I do not have any obligations here in the states. I am single and live with my family. I have many friends who studied medicine abroad and are doing fine without the premeds but I dont know how things may have changed since they were abroad. I have done quite a bit of research and everything I have found with the med schools i'm eligible for SEEM legitimate. I just want to make sure that I know what I'm getting in to. It's a huge decision to make.

Look forward to hearing back.

ritu ritu