Navy Belleville vs Bates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, after only 6 years of skating by with only the Suede boots and aquaflage, I have finally gotten orders to do something that requires me to buy actual, real outdoors boots and green NWUs. So, considering that I'm going to be doing a lot of walking/hiking in these things, which are better, Bates or Belleville?

Members don't see this ad.

I bought the Belleville my last year of residency in 2008. I wore them until I separated this past spring. Those things weren't the most stylish compared to the Bates but they were comfortable. Great quality. Lasted 8 years and could have kept going.

Neither, get some Danners or check out the newer military Nike boots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are those legal for the Navy? I thought we only had two options for boots.

I honestly don't know, but for boots and a few other items it has never stopped me. Boots are not the place to skimp.

Not too many tools out there are that picky about boots as long as they are the right color and not crazy looking.

I honestly don't know, but for boots and a few other items it has never stopped me. Boots are not the place to skimp.

Not too many tools out there are that picky about boots as long as they are the right color and not crazy looking.
Fair enough. Any thoughts on socks? Are the standard issue wool socks good? Or do you recommend some kind of specialized hiking thing?

Are the standard issue wool socks good? Or do you recommend some kind of specialized hiking thing?

If you are doing some legit outdoor adventures with the Marines then get some SmartWool at a minimum. First Lite makes some fantastic Merino products as well. There are a few other good Merino or Merino blend socks. Your feet will make or break you if you are going to do some serious miles. And get the boots early and wear them around the house for a few weeks.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of breaking in your boots as early as possible and getting yourself some quality socks.

On one of the first days after I checked on board with the Marine Infantry as a GMO, my battalion did a "boots and utes" run. An 8-mile run. I'm an excellent runner, but I was totally unprepared for a boots and utes run. In my mind, boots are made for hiking. Not jogging. That's what running shoes are designed for. But these are Marines I'm talking about. If there's a more macho way to do something, that's they way they're going to do it--even if it's completely stupid.

So, anyway, I was in the midst of this ******ed boots and utes run. My boots were brand spanking new plus I was wearing some cheap-arse dollar store cotton socks. Not a good combo to go running with. After mile 4 or 5, I could tell some serious blisters were developing. By mile 6, I was in serious agony--major stinging pains as I could feel the blisters ripping open with every stride. To my disfortune, I was running in the front of the battalion alongside all the Marine officers. These guys' testosterone is off the charts. Being the doc among the Marine officers is sometimes like a weird MTV reality show, like being a nerd sent to live in a house full of football players and ultimate fighters. It was made even worse since I was the new guy trying to fit into this veritable wolf pack. So the last thing I wanted to do was look like a complete puss, not only because I was the new guy--but because they already think all the Navy docs are totally soft, so I wasn't about to let them have the satisfaction of fullfilling that stereotype. So I did my best to stifle the pain and focus on detatching my mind from my body and going to my "happy place."

The last few miles were excruciating, but I was able to finish the run without betraying the fact that on the inside I was crying like a 6 year old girl. My feet were screaming in pain and it took every ounce of strength I had not to hobble around like an old beaten mule. Can't let the wolf pack see me be weak! Probably more than half the battalion didn't even finish the run (a lot of Marines were in surprisingly bad shape--many were already puking by mile 3--this surprised me initially but over the years I observed that a not insignificant portion of the enlisted Marines are fat lazy turds--though most are tough as hell). So, anyhow, I was proud of myself for finishing and feeling elated that the hellish nightmare run was over. . . . Or so I thought. Right after dismissing the enlisted guys, the battalion CO announced he was taking all the officers for an additional 5 miles. I think a part of my soul died when he announced that.

After a few miles into the officer-only run, I think so many pain endorphins had kicked in that I actually became pretty numb, so the final few miles were tolerable. By the end, I'd hung with the best of those Marine officers and even left a few sucking wind behind me. But when that run was over, finally over, and I got back to the Aid Station, I pulled off my boots. It was distusting. My socks were competely soaked in blood. My feet were destroyed. You'd think I'd just been pulled out of the ocean after a shark attack. The next day and for almost two weeks afterwards, my feet were so torn up and mangled that I couldn't bear the pain of wearing a shoe, let alone those effing boots. So I had to wear my cammies with flip flops on my feet. Ultimately, that's how I earned my call sign. Tenderfoot.

Thus, the morale of the story. Break in your boots early. Buy quality socks.

Reactions: 1 user
Jungle boots were the most comfortable, but I think they're gone.

Reactions: 1 user
Matt, except that the OP is talking about Type 3 and you are referencing Type 1 boot regs. They aren't the same.