Ben Gurion University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really like what I've heard about BGU's school of international medicine, and I'm planning on sending out an application.

Edit: found the answer to my first question.

My second question is, what is there to do on campus outside of med school stuff? I looked at the web site, but I'm having a hard time finding anything specific. Is social life limited to the medical school, or is there a lot of mingling with the general university/city population?

Members don't see this ad.

Beersheva is a university town. It is similar to any typical college town in North America. Translation - there IS stuff to do, but not MUCH of it. There are lots of restaurants and several pubs. You can interact with as many Israelis as you wish. Some people have Israeli roommates/friends, others keep to themselves.

Also the program itself is a pretty large community and there are always lots of activities, dinner parties, etc.,

Other things include malls and movie theatres (you can see most International releases shortly after they are released in the US).

Finally, Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are only 1.5 hours away so I did a lot of a travelling as well.

is it "safe" to attend there?

i like the international-medicine-angle they offer, but the thought of studying in israel makes me a little uneasy... am i being unreasonably fearful?

It is very safe. Statistically going to Israel you are safer than you would be studying medicine in inner-city US cities. Beersheva is an extremely safe city.

As far as terrorism fears, the minute one lands in Israel they realize how ridiculous those fears are.