Benefit of having an MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BusinessAndMedicine

Full Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have and still do toy with the idea of leaving clinical medicine and was wondering about how differently someone is treated/viewed if they never did any PGYs vs completed a residency and became board-certified.

I went into residency after medical school and figure I will finish because it isn't too bad and I don't have any alternative plans in the works at this moment. Will I be more competitive as an applicant than someone who only did medical school?

Having already finished a large portion of my residency I have not only learned a lot about clinical medicine but also about how a hospital works and work flows. Comparatively, I knew very little about clinical medicine or how a hospital functions at the end of medical school and am surprised that these people would be highly sought after. Is it just because of the initials as I can't think of a solid skill set or unique knowledge that they bring to the table?

I'm not trying to bash med students and wasn't a bad student myself. I just don't think that medical teaches you much besides a foundation to learn clinical medicine and navigate (poorly) a clinic/hospital.
 
From what I've been told, you're more useful once you've finished residency (since the MD degree by itself w/o actual medical training doesn't really make one a medical expert). Not sure about board certification, but it can't hurt. Though I guess this depends on what you want to do once you leave clinical medicine.
 
That depends on what you want to do, I suppose. What is it you're interested in doing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is a fantastic question. I don't really have a solid answer. It's more an aversion to clinical medicine than a strong draw to business.

Well, which of the following is the most interesting to you? Healthcare management, health tech/biotech, pharmaceuticals, academics, consulting, etc? You could do a fellowship tailored to at least 3 of those, I believe; doing so may be a good decision based on what I've seen on the specialty forums. Everyone seems to think that medicine is changing.

RIP to Prince (my avatar) who passed away a day or so after I replied, above.
 
Last edited: