Benefits of early submission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maureen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides ensuring all your materials (transcripts, GRE scores, LORs, etc.) arrive, are there any residual benefits to submitting your application early?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the main benefits of submitting materials early is increased possibility of acceptance (at schools with rolling admissions). If you get everything in ahead of other competitors and you're a good applicant, the ADCOM might go ahead and extend an offer early. Early submission can also be a factor in funding, but, again, this is only likely to be the case at schools with rolling admission.

@Maureen that is totally dependent on when the school opens up the admission process. For example, if the application window is from September-January, I would say that an early applicant would be anytime in November or earlier (but, that is just my opinion). I've heard from my classmates that some schools they applied to actually listed the "priority" deadline on the school's website. It is always a safe bet to really scan the school's website or ask the admissions coordinator, if you're not sure.