Benefits of pursuing my MBA...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdog8829

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of applying to medical schools. Kansas City University (KCUMB) has a dual-degree program giving you your DO/MBA in a span of 4 years, quite impressive in my mind.

The problem, however, arises when looking at the school itself.
(A) The MBA is awarded from Rockhurst University (a no name school in Kansas City considering that I've never heard of it).
(B) The cost of the program is an additional $60K. This means I'll be paying for 4 years of med school plus business school.
With this said, an estimated debt of ~$250K is quite feasible.
Do these costs and concerns outweigh the benefits of obtaining my MBA?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to wait until you have completed your medical school, internship, and residency training before you pursue and MBA.

Main reason is that you'll forget everything you learned to get an MBA by the time you are done with your medical training as well as the fact that you won't really be able to apply what you learn until you are out of training.

But, that's just my opinion...

1st) Call school and ask to be put in contact with graduates or current students in the program so you can ask them directly. The curriculum looks pretty good (although I don't understand it entirely) and this school is AACSB accredited. This is HUGE and this means that this program is a very good program. This is the top accredidation for business schools to go through and usually only the top schools do this.

As for "forgetting" what you've used, it seems like this curriculum is intergrated between 2nd and 3rd years. I wouldn't say that you would forget what you learn (noone I know has) but I have heard of people who have taken on some "extra" responsibilities in residency since they had this extra skill set which did make them more appealing after residency while looking for a job. The other option is to apply to residencies with joint programs.

They have the right classes and seem committed to giving you the best resources in KC. I would assume the school would give you open access to talk to the students about this as it showed about 5-10 graduates for the class of 2004 so it seems that some of the students are completing the program.

:luck: