Benefits of Women's Health Tack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gambler 101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched the forums and couldn't get a clear answer. I wanted to know what benefits residents receive for completing a women's health track? What procedures do you learn? How does this translate to the real world after residency? Can you do breast biopsy, colposcopy, IUD, pelvic ultrasounds, etc?

I prefer female patients and love these types of procedures but I don't want to get stuck in the OR and I don't want to do FM (too broad for me).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps a good amount of that. Will be program specific and these are the questions you should ask when you interview. But mostly as this is IM it will be the nuances of female medicine not procedures.

Reactions: 1 user
As jdh noted, it will be program specific. And all down to what your attendings do and can teach you to do (or if you can convince them to let you do a few extra months of Gyn clinic).

Colposcopy and IUD insertion? Sure.

Pelvic US? Maybe. But why?

LEEP and breast biopsy? Not happening. Hell, most of the breast surgeons I know send their patients to radiology to biopsy anything.

It's relatively easy to learn to do a procedure. Much more difficult to learn how to interpret the results (ultrasound), or handle the complications.

Reactions: 1 user