NYU Brooklyn Community Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluethroat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current residents speak to this track? Got pigeonholed into this track when I really wanted the main categorical. Somewhat competitive applicant (26x , research pubs, top class quartile). Goal is cards. How is this track? Do people match into strong fellowships? Any info is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

How far have we come as a medical community when 260s USMLE scores, pubs and top quartile mean you are just “somewhat competitive”?

Boy golly am I glad I’m not trying to match right now…

Reactions: 1 users
How far have we come as a medical community when 260s USMLE scores, pubs and top quartile mean you are just “somewhat competitive”?

Boy golly am I glad I’m not trying to match right now…
There is definitely something missing from the OP's story.

NYU Brooklyn is a 3rd tier NYC community program that used to be called Lutheran Medical Center.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a current resident there. NYU Categorical IM residents, and sometimes Primary Care track residents, often match into strong fellowships, especially in cardiology. However, I do not know about the community health tracks. I believe it may not hold you back

Can any current residents speak to this track? Got pigeonholed into this track when I really wanted the main categorical. Somewhat competitive applicant (26x , research pubs, top class quartile). Goal is cards. How is this track? Do people match into strong fellowships? Any info is appreciated.
how did you get pigeonholed into the track? DID you apply to the track?

There is definitely something missing from the OP's story.

NYU Brooklyn is a 3rd tier NYC community program that used to be called Lutheran Medical Center.
I mean sure there’s a lot more info I can give but I also do not want to be specific due to fears of self doxxing. I have no red flags on my app and I’m a usmd that goes to a well recognized program in the NE. I applied to all nyu tracks. I did not realize they will sift candidates into separate tracks, I just applied to the Brooklyn track as well as the main ones to maximize chances of matching in nyc which is where I’d like to be for residency. On eras, all the nyu IM progs minus NYU Long Island are under the same app. I assumed they would send out separate invites for separate tracks. Didn’t think this would be an issue since using Texas Star I was more than competitive for the main nyu track. I personally know a few other people of similar competitiveness that this happened to. NYU did not do a good job of elucidating how the tracks would work before applications were to be submitted.

I mean sure there’s a lot more info I can give but I also do not want to be specific due to fears of self doxxing. I have no red flags on my app and I’m a usmd that goes to a well recognized program in the NE. I applied to all nyu tracks. I did not realize they will sift candidates into separate tracks, I just applied to the Brooklyn track as well as the main ones to maximize chances of matching in nyc which is where I’d like to be for residency. On eras, all the nyu IM progs minus NYU Long Island are under the same app. I assumed they would send out separate invites for separate tracks. Didn’t think this would be an issue since using Texas Star I was more than competitive for the main nyu track. I personally know a few other people of similar competitiveness that this happened to. NYU did not do a good job of elucidating how the tracks would work before applications were to be submitted.
Well, if true, that sounds shady AF on NYU's part.

The track is better than it used to be when it was Lutheran and NYU has been trying to improve the program and the hospital over the last 5-6 years. When I interviewed there you could see the progression of less IMGs/DOs and more USMDs every year and the fellowship match was decent with people staying at NYU (main) to train. But I don't think it has the same cache as main campus even with the changes.

@OP Former NYU resident here. To answer your question, yes Brooklyn folks will match into competitive fellowships because your program letter will now come from the same program director as everyone else, and your final application won't specify if you're "Brooklyn" or "Bellevue" or "Tisch-Kimmel". So if fellowship's the name of the game then I really wouldn't worry too much. That said, I don't think you're "pigeonholed" in the one track. Send a polite email to the coordinators or the chiefs -before your interview- to clarify, because from what I remember, if you're interviewing for one track but expressed interest in all of them, you'll be ranked for all of them. I don't know if things have changed so please clarify with the chiefs or the coordinators to figure things out (I promise they're nice haha). But please don't worry too much, I honestly think you're just over-reading things here (which is totally understandable given how stressful this process can be).

Thank you ShuperNewbie and InternistDO for your thoughtful and encouraging replies. I'm very thankful to have received the interview at all, I love NYC and you can't take me out of it! I will clarify with the program coordinator. Thank you!

Thank you ShuperNewbie and InternistDO for your thoughtful and encouraging replies. I'm very thankful to have received the interview at all, I love NYC and you can't take me out of it! I will clarify with the program coordinator. Thank you!
Agree with the thanks. My information was clearly way out of date so I apologize. Nice to see that NYU is doing more than just slapping their name on programs.

I actually had this same question, and glad to see I'm not the only one who had this confusion. I'm not even as competitive as you in terms of stats - so I assumed this was probably not the same IM residency or that it wasn't even categorical. The website is VERY confusing, but I did reach out and they confirmed it is a categorical track despite being called community health track. They shared the fellowship match list as well and it seems pretty impressive, but it's hard to extrapolate too much from it because of the smaller number of residents for this specific track. At the end of the day, it's NYU and I think even for GI I'll still be competitive as long as I work hard and get a pub or 2 during residency. And I'll get to be near the city!

Really curious to hear more from anyone else who has done this track and gone on to sub-specialize. No idea how I'll afford even living in BK but maybe I can luck out with housing lottery if they do that. Interviewing in a few weeks so I'm really excited. Had gone from thinking of cancelling the interview to thinking of this as a top 3 program for when it comes time to rank. Thinking about GI and Yale, Brown and even Monte are other options with a good GI track record. But in terms of location I definitely wanted to be in the city, and I'm wondering how the culture at NYU-BK is? Obviously it's program in the city but for someone with multiple interests and a desire to do GI specific research is it feasible to get all this done and be happy here?