Benefits/PTO/QOL at Optum vs ESI/Cigna vs government

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, been working at ESI/Cigna remotely for just a tad over a year now after nine years of retail insanity and been contemplating where and what I would like to do for years to come . I just turned 37 and have decades ahead in the workforce . Like most people, I am always looking for bigger and better in terms of opportunities and would like to eventually settle down in one position where I can see myself for 15 or 20 years . I am a stable person and this position is only my second job eleven years out of school . Has anyone here worked for other PBMs such as Optum Rx or government positions as rph ? If you have , what are benefits like ? PTO ? Quality of life ? Personally, for me PTO is at the top of my list in terms of benefits . Currently , I am at 18 days and by next year I’ll be at 23 days with the option of buying an extra week off bringing my total PTO up to 28 days each year in less than 2 years on the job . I’m just wondering what else is out there in terms of opportunities with other employers , whether it is remote work, on-site work, benefits , pension . I don’t know . I think if I could get a government job with plenty of PTO and a pension I’d be set and would stay there the rest of my career but I understand pensions are pretty much nonexistent these days . Who are your employers , what do they offer , and do you recommend them ? Thanks .

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Doc, one thing for sure, the grass always looks greener on the other side. I have worked at the VA, then a national Home Infusion Company, and subsequently for an Oncology Group, 4 major Hospital systems, the current one has 20 Hospitals and 35000 employees. I have even worked at Accredo, which is Express Scripts, which is Cigna!
The VA offered the best pension (the only pension now), great benefits, amazing job security. Every other employer has had similar level of benefits, some better, some worse, hard to rank and differentiate as to which one is the best.
Lately, last 10-20 years, there seems to be uniformity and parity amongst major employers, as if they have studied each others benefits package.
If PTO is important, stick with your company, don't think another company will double the PTO. I have 26 weeks off every year, plus 20-23 extra days on top of that, I can easily take 3 weeks off and use 7 days of PTO. That is what 7on / 7 off has to offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Doc, one thing for sure, the grass always looks greener on the other side. I have worked at the VA, then a national Home Infusion Company, and subsequently for an Oncology Group, 4 major Hospital systems, the current one has 20 Hospitals and 35000 employees. I have even worked at Accredo, which is Express Scripts, which is Cigna!
The VA offered the best pension (the only pension now), great benefits, amazing job security. Every other employer has had similar level of benefits, some better, some worse, hard to rank and differentiate as to which one is the best.
Lately, last 10-20 years, there seems to be uniformity and parity amongst major employers, as if they have studied each others benefits package.
If PTO is important, stick with your company, don't think another company will double the PTO. I have 26 weeks off every year, plus 20-23 extra days on top of that, I can easily take 3 weeks off and use 7 days of PTO. That is what 7on / 7 off has to offer.

Why did you leave the VA?

Members don't see this ad :)

While Emory just got rid of their pension recently, Northside actually still has theirs. Though I imagine the VA might be better, though I think someone mentioned you have to pay into it?

While Emory just got rid of their pension recently, Northside actually still has theirs. Though I imagine the VA might be better, though I think someone mentioned you have to pay into it?
You are correct! Going back 20-25 years, everybody I worked for. CHOA, NSH, Wellstar, Piedmont - all had nice pension plans. I worked over 11 years at CHOA, have a decent pension coming to me at 65. Also 7 years at WellStar, with 4 years of Pension coming to me. They all abruptly ended them (except NSH , I wasn't aware), even NSH can end that tomorrow. The VA has the Federal Pension, they can't shut it down, you do/can supplement it. And it is very generous. Plus you are exempt from paying into SS (at least it was that way) and Medicare. That by itself is $$$ stays in your pocket.

I’m sure this has already been discussed but I think it’s cute that we have two members with almost the same user name and one was born in 1986 and one became a pharmacist in 1986.

Question for the old guy: do you have 23 eight hour days of PTO or 23 twelve hour days?

For the young guy: My memory is that Optum caps out at 30 days of PTO. It was originally a con when I was deciding whether to flee the US, or not (as in: I like this job so much, I’ll never get 30 days off anywhere again). As I thought about it more, I decided I must not like the job very much if the best thing about it is the days I don’t have to be there. IMO, the best thing about working for Optum is the ability to transfer within the company. It’s allowed every 12 months and after a couple of years in the same position, people start wondering why you haven’t moved somewhere. It’s a great way to get the full PBM experience and then jump into industry, if that’s your thing. But once again, if the best thing you like about your job is that it allows you to easily get a different job: you probably don’t like your job very much.

I’m sure this has already been discussed but I think it’s cute that we have two members with almost the same user name and one was born in 1986 and one became a pharmacist in 1986.

Question for the old guy: do you have 23 eight hour days of PTO or 23 twelve hour days?

For the young guy: My memory is that Optum caps out at 30 days of PTO. It was originally a con when I was deciding whether to flee the US, or not (as in: I like this job so much, I’ll never get 30 days off anywhere again). As I thought about it more, I decided I must not like the job very much if the best thing about it is the days I don’t have to be there. IMO, the best thing about working for Optum is the ability to transfer within the company. It’s allowed every 12 months and after a couple of years in the same position, people start wondering why you haven’t moved somewhere. It’s a great way to get the full PBM experience and then jump into industry, if that’s your thing. But once again, if the best thing you like about your job is that it allows you to easily get a different job: you probably don’t like your job very much.
Hi, sunny, actually I do like my job a hell of a lot more than retail pharmacy . My job is super chill by comparison and I spend my days consulting with patients by phone answering/addressing their clinical questions and concerns about pharmaceuticals . I use my knowledge more extensively and it is satisfying. However , even then , I still value time away from work , especially because I love to travel and in my previous role , I would take a lot of time away , even unpaid, to travel internationally. I’ve been to Russia, Ukraine , Egypt, France, Spain, Italy, UAE, Argentina, Brazil, Japan, China , Australia , New Zealand , Israel , Canadá, and many more countries . I like to get away from work as much as possible not because I don’t like my role , but at the end of the day , I work for money and not passion so I can enjoy and live my life outside of work . The more PTO the better . But apart from PTO, I am also curious about what else is out there in terms of job opportunities since some pharmacists have held many positions and this is only my second one . That’s pretty much it .

Hey, I resemble that remark! But I do prefer senior citizen! The 12hr 7/7 are long gone. Not because of relief to pharmacist, but overtime concerns. I work 7 - 10hr shifts, but get paid for 80hrs/2wks. PTO is based on hrs, I accrue 8+hrs/paycheck = 210hrs/yr. Plus get 8hr for every major holiday that falls on my week. All in, about $88/hr + full benefits package.
Old guy out!

Thanks for the reply, RxDoc. Yes, I know about the grass appearing greener on the other side . I just figured it doesn’t hurt to see what other opportunities are out there . I see some older pharmacists staying in 1 job for 30 years stable and then I see other moving from one job to another in their careers and makes me wonder which are the best jobs where I can also see myself staying for the rest of my career . Like I said I lasted 9 years in retail and I’ve been in my current role for just over a year but I’m only 37. I would love to settle down in just 1 position for the rest of my life but I have realized in today’s world that is rare . I think if I found a rare government position offering a pension I would probably never look for anything else at that point and would be all set .

That "Lifer" thing, ain't happening any more. Even the "best" job will turn on you through time, corporate takeover, management change, policy changes, socio-economics, and a thousand other things! In these times, if you approach any job, as a forever job, you will be greatly disappointed.
I have had 9 different jobs, never approached any of them as my forever job. Even now, in a decent hospital, good pay, good benefits, and 4 years from retirement, I am still looking at other opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
That "Lifer" thing, ain't happening any more. Even the "best" job will turn on you through time, corporate takeover, management change, policy changes, socio-economics, and a thousand other things! In these times, if you approach any job, as a forever job, you will be greatly disappointed.
I have had 9 different jobs, never approached any of them as my forever job. Even now, in a decent hospital, good pay, good benefits, and 4 years from retirement, I am still looking at other opportunities.
This. All of this. I enjoy reading your posts by the way.

Projek, how long did you work at Optum and what do you do now ?
I was there almost two years? I jumped ship to a smaller PBM doing prior auths with much less micromanagement, so happy I made the switch!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was there almost two years? I jumped ship to a smaller PBM doing prior auths with much less micromanagement, so happy I made the switch!
What kind of micromanagement tools did they implement at Optum ? I like my role in patient consult at ESI/Cigna and have been performing well , but I do feel they micromanage too much , especially with “time” /scheduling . They keep too much track of the time you start your shift, end of shift, how long was the break , if you go to the bathroom, etc . It’s annoying and makes you feel like you’re not a professional. A professional should have the discretion to step away for a moment from the computer without having to worry about being on the clock/time being monitored constantly and should not be an issue if you start a few minutes late or have to leave a bit early occasionally to take care of something. I don’t know if this is just one of the negatives of being hourly but in salaried roles you have more leeway . I guess my biggest complaint is that I can’t take a breather and step away from the computer apart from my lunch and breaks so I see this as micromanagement as well . It’s not really possible to “swap shifts” with co-workers either if you need to like you can do in retail or other roles . I remember if I needed an extra day to take care of things, I’d swap with another rph and agree to cover his/her shift . You can’t really do that while working remotely but that’s a whole different topic .

Last edited:
What kind of micromanagement tools did they implement at Optum ? I like my role in patient consult at ESI/Cigna and have been performing well , but I do feel they micromanage too much , especially with “time” /scheduling . They keep too much track of the time you start your shift, end of shift, how long was the break , if you go to the bathroom, etc . It’s annoying and makes you feel like you’re not a professional. A professional should have the discretion to step away for a moment from the computer without having to worry about being on the clock/time being monitored constantly and should not be an issue if you start a few minutes late or have to leave a bit early occasionally to take care of something. I don’t know if this is just one of the negatives of being hourly but in salaried roles you have more leeway . I guess my biggest complaint is that I can’t take a breather and step away from the computer apart from my lunch and breaks so I see this as micromanagement as well . It’s not really possible to “swap shifts” with co-workers either if you need to like you can do in retail or other roles . I remember if I needed an extra day to take care of things, I’d swap with another rph and agree to cover his/her shift . You can’t really do that while working remotely but that’s a whole different topic .
What you’re describing is actually very similar to Optum, they’ve micromanage your break time/lunch time and your after call time, or the time you’d spend putting in your notes. They compile it into a percentage and call it adherence. It was so annoying. I was darn near perfect to my timings and still could never cross 97-98.5%, it was wild. I can’t speak too much to swapping shifts as most of the department had similar hours. We’d have a late shift every so often which was challenging to swap.

What you’re describing is actually very similar to Optum, they’ve micromanage your break time/lunch time and your after call time, or the time you’d spend putting in your notes. They compile it into a percentage and call it adherence. It was so annoying. I was darn near perfect to my timings and still could never cross 97-98.5%, it was wild. I can’t speak too much to swapping shifts as most of the department had similar hours. We’d have a late shift every so often which was challenging to swap.
How much PTO did you start off with at Optum in the PA department and now in your new company ? Also, for PA, did they grant you a laptop or was it the typical 2 computer monitors ? How do you like doing PAs and do you feel it’s easy or monotonous after a while ? I’m trying to gather information to see which avenues I’d like to explore in the future . For example, my supervisor stated she was in my role consulting with patients on the phone for about 1.5 years before moving onto a management position . So after maybe another year or so I may try branching out internally within my company or other companies . I guess we’ll see .

Getting anything remotely "great" working for the government will take years. As a GS, from 0-3 years you'll earn 4 hours of PTO and 4 hours of sick leave per two weeks. From years 3-5, you'll earn 6/4 and then 15 years of service, you'll earn 8/4.

I am with big PBM as contractor doing PA for like 6 months now. Started in Part D, moved to Part B now. Part D is more like retail- higher case count to achieve/hour. Part B is more like hospital- Less case count, more clinical and little more relaxed. We are not being micromanaged as you mentioned. We just have to meet case count goal and avoid any errors. I still moonlight at retail to keep that option open. Have like 12 years in retail. At big PBM there are lots of internal options to grow, however they do have high turnover rate. I was bored at retail not necessarily with all regular bull****s but I couldn't see my self doing same thing for rest of my life. I want to explore other areas in pharmacy field.

How much PTO did you start off with at Optum in the PA department and now in your new company ? Also, for PA, did they grant you a laptop or was it the typical 2 computer monitors ? How do you like doing PAs and do you feel it’s easy or monotonous after a while ? I’m trying to gather information to see which avenues I’d like to explore in the future . For example, my supervisor stated she was in my role consulting with patients on the phone for about 1.5 years before moving onto a management position . So after maybe another year or so I may try branching out internally within my company or other companies . I guess we’ll see .
When I was doing MTMs for Optum I started off with 23 paid days off plus their holiday list. My new company doesn’t have a hard guideline for PTO, it’s “unlimited” with guardrails. I will say I haven’t been denied a request so far.

PA they granted me the two monitor setup. I don’t know how I’d feel doing PAs for Optum. From the people I’ve spoken who did PAs there they have Optum metric trauma. Then again Optum is known to “optumize”… It does get monotonous to a certain extent but every day I still see new drugs that make me go wtf and learn something new every day. I do find it enjoyable. I will say I don’t like the on call rotation. I’m hoping to eventually moving into formulary management and then industry.

Im in a position where im trying not to turn down any opportunities for upward career growth. But I totally understand how you feel right now.

I am with big PBM as contractor doing PA for like 6 months now. Started in Part D, moved to Part B now. Part D is more like retail- higher case count to achieve/hour. Part B is more like hospital- Less case count, more clinical and little more relaxed. We are not being micromanaged as you mentioned. We just have to meet case count goal and avoid any errors. I still moonlight at retail to keep that option open. Have like 12 years in retail. At big PBM there are lots of internal options to grow, however they do have high turnover rate. I was bored at retail not necessarily with all regular bull****s but I couldn't see my self doing same thing for rest of my life. I want to explore other areas in pharmacy field.
Why do positions at PBMs have such high turnover rates ? Is it micromanaging and metrics ?

I am with a health system affiliated with a public university and thus we are considered "state government workers". We have state pension and also union. Pay: a little better than the market average (thanks to union contract). Health insurance: free for individual and decent if you have kids or family. PTO (vacation + sick+ holiday): for newbie (<5 yrs of service) we have ~ 37 days/year (8hr work day). Working environment: mostly reasonable when fully staffed. The pandemic does create some nice "remote" positions. Managers tend to micromanage (especially if they are not pharmacists).

When I was doing MTMs for Optum I started off with 23 paid days off plus their holiday list. My new company doesn’t have a hard guideline for PTO, it’s “unlimited” with guardrails. I will say I haven’t been denied a request so far.

PA they granted me the two monitor setup. I don’t know how I’d feel doing PAs for Optum. From the people I’ve spoken who did PAs there they have Optum metric trauma. Then again Optum is known to “optumize”… It does get monotonous to a certain extent but every day I still see new drugs that make me go wtf and learn something new every day. I do find it enjoyable. I will say I don’t like the on call rotation. I’m hoping to eventually moving into formulary management and then industry.

Im in a position where im trying not to turn down any opportunities for upward career growth. But I totally understand how you feel right now.
Speaking of micromanagement, I just directly experienced it lmao 🤣. My first annual performance review was in April and my supervisor stated I was at the top of her team doing very well with great metrics, including abiding by work schedule . I usually work until 7 pm and my previous supervisor (a guy) stated he had no issue if I wanted to log off the system at 6:55 pm (1-5 minutes) before the end of my shift . I work for a call center and if I were to remain online until 6:59 pm, for all I know a 20-30 minute call could come in and I’d be leaving late consistently . So for nearly the entire 13 months in this job I just sign out at 6:55, 6:58, and some cases a little past 7 pm if I’m on a longer call . I’ve been a strong performer . I get an email today from my new supervisor (probably been supervisor 6 months , a woman, after my previous one left )stating that the company doesn’t allow signing off even 1-2 minutes early expecting you until 7 pm even if you go over . Wtf is that ? I’ve been an rph for a decade and no one has tried to control me like that . This is micromanagement at its finest and it’s the first time I’m experiencing this . If I were not a solid performer , ok . But my metrics are great and I suddenly get this bs ? I’ll be brushing up my resume soon and leaving . No autonomy and I’m being treated like a clerk . F that . So I have to sign off at 7 pm on the dot when more than likely I may end up getting another call that may take me 8 , 10, 15 minutes or even longer ? What if I need to do something exactly at 7 pm ? This lady is being a stickler and micromanager .

Last edited:
Speaking of micromanagement, I just directly experienced it lmao 🤣. My first annual performance review was in April and my supervisor stated I was at the top of her team doing very well with great metrics, including abiding by work schedule . I usually work until 7 pm and my previous supervisor (a guy) stated he had no issue if I wanted to log off the system at 6:55 pm (1-5 minutes) before the end of my shift . I work for a call center and if I were to remain online until 6:59 pm, for all I know a 20-30 minute call could come in and I’d be leaving late consistently . So for nearly the entire 13 months in this job I just sign out at 6:55, 6:58, and some cases a little past 7 pm if I’m on a longer call . I’ve been a strong performer . I get an email today from my new supervisor (probably been supervisor 6 months , a woman, after my previous one left )stating that the company doesn’t allow signing off even 1-2 minutes early expecting you until 7 pm even if you go over . Wtf is that ? I’ve been an rph for a decade and no one has tried to control me like that . This is micromanagement at its finest and it’s the first time I’m experiencing this . If I were not a solid performer , ok . But my metrics are great and I suddenly get this bs ? I’ll be brushing up my resume soon and leaving . No autonomy and I’m being treated like a clerk . F that . So I have to sign off at 7 pm on the dot when more than likely I may end up getting another call that may take me 8 , 10, 15 minutes or even longer ? What if I need to do something exactly at 7 pm ? This lady is being a stickler and micromanager .
Have you never worked in a call center before? You got to learn to dodge calls. Easiest solution is to spend 5 minutes wrapping your previous call. If the calls are too sparse to do that, just drop out of the queue every minute for a second starting at 8:55. That will drop you behind everyone else waiting for a call. #fightthesystem

When you do PAs, are you on the phone all day or are you looking at paperwork?

Why not branch out now? Aren't there internal positions that you can apply for? You would probably get some preference for being an internal candidate.