benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stargazzer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the benefits of becoming an optometrist? Are the grad schools for optometry challenging compared to pharmacy? are the hours lenient or demanding? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

stargazzer said:
what are the benefits of becoming an optometrist? Are the grad schools for optometry challenging compared to pharmacy? are the hours lenient or demanding? thanks!

i think you should do a quick search or check out opted.org

this topic has been covered way too much (with the same answers usually)

stargazzer said:

From most of the research I've done in talking to people and reading(and let me tell you I've done a ton as I was trying to decide between MD/DO, JD, OD, PharmD, etc) I've come to the conclusion that OD school is more rigourous than PharmD school. As far as pros/cons go -as a Pharmacist you are more likely than not going to work in retail for your career although OD is going very much this way too. This can be a drawback or a benefit as it depends on how you view it; with retail you will have a stable environment(guaranteed PharmD salary of around $90,000) with good benefits but also you have to work retail hours which means nights and weekends (not fun in my opinion). As far as hours being lenient or demanding I'd say it depends on you to an extent but I do believe that many people choose the route of PharmD or OD instead of MD/DO and other options like JD because the lifestyle doesn't tend to be as hectic or in other words you can work a 40-50 hour week instead of a 60 hour plus week.

Best of luck