Berkeley Extension Postbac Health Professions Program: Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that this is a bit old-ish, but I am mostly done with my Extension classes (in the app cycle right now, but considering another course in the spring).

Feel free to ask any specific questions, but the general answer to your question of "is it worth it" is "maybe," at least in my opinion. I took almost of all the standard science pre-reqs, as well as a few upper level bio classes. Some professors/classes were great, some were just good, some had me wishing that I could have gotten those 45 hours of my life back.

The administration - meh - you get what you need, and if you ask for more, they may be able to accommodate you. One really cool thing - they send out emails with volunteer opportunities in the bay area, and if you're not working full time, you may actually be able to jump on some of them. There are some groups, AMSA, Women in Healthcare, etc, but I haven't been to any, so I really can't speak to them.

Would I do it over again? For the price and time and space that it gave me to work - yeah, sure. For the pain of some of my classes and inconsistencies in how they were taught - probably not. Hope that helps some.

H.M.

I know that this is a bit old-ish, but I am mostly done with my Extension classes (in the app cycle right now, but considering another course in the spring).

Feel free to ask any specific questions, but the general answer to your question of "is it worth it" is "maybe," at least in my opinion. I took almost of all the standard science pre-reqs, as well as a few upper level bio classes. Some professors/classes were great, some were just good, some had me wishing that I could have gotten those 45 hours of my life back.

The administration - meh - you get what you need, and if you ask for more, they may be able to accommodate you. One really cool thing - they send out emails with volunteer opportunities in the bay area, and if you're not working full time, you may actually be able to jump on some of them. There are some groups, AMSA, Women in Healthcare, etc, but I haven't been to any, so I really can't speak to them.

Would I do it over again? For the price and time and space that it gave me to work - yeah, sure. For the pain of some of my classes and inconsistencies in how they were taught - probably not. Hope that helps some.

H.M.

How did it work? Did you mainly take classes in the evenings or did you take them alongside other undergrads at Berkeley?