Berkeley Review - Correlation of scores to real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBHockey

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using just the Berk Review books to do my own prep and I've only just started actually using them (April MCAT). I did the first section of the first physics book today and I'm curious about how these scores correlate to the "real thing".

Is there any consensus on how the Berkeley review books compare to the real test? My scaled score for the first section of the first physics book was "greater than or equal to a 12", but I'm curious of how indicative this really is. Say I can get "> or = to 12" on all the sections in physics and gen. chem of the berk review books -- does this mean I'd have a good shot of getting a 12 in April for the PS section?

By the way -- (FWIW) I think these books are absolutely great. I looked at Princeton Review and talked to a few friends who taught Kaplan courses for the MCAT and I am glad I went with these books. They really stress conceptual understanding and logic to help arrive at answers confidently and quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using just the Berk Review books to do my own prep and I've only just started actually using them (April MCAT). I did the first section of the first physics book today and I'm curious about how these scores correlate to the "real thing".

Is there any consensus on how the Berkeley review books compare to the real test? My scaled score for the first section of the first physics book was "greater than or equal to a 12", but I'm curious of how indicative this really is. Say I can get "> or = to 12" on all the sections in physics and gen. chem of the berk review books -- does this mean I'd have a good shot of getting a 12 in April for the PS section?

By the way -- (FWIW) I think these books are absolutely great. I looked at Princeton Review and talked to a few friends who taught Kaplan courses for the MCAT and I am glad I went with these books. They really stress conceptual understanding and logic to help arrive at answers confidently and quickly.

They are harder. Finally, don't worry about accuracy. You should focus on improving your logic and conceptual skills. If you do this, the accuracy takes care of itself. Finally, the advantage is that they combine 2 or 3 concepts in questions which is what the MCAT likes to do. The only true correlation are the AAMCs, take those after you're done with content review or close to being done.

they are generally harder but the real one always seemed to get me with some weird passage or two.

No matter what the real one was just different to me.

BR is great for gchem, phy, and ochem.

I would use something else for verbal and bio.

either EK for bio and EK verbal 101 for verbal.