BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only one that has some really bad consistency issues?

Yesterday, I was working through Phase II of a couple of chapters and scoring ~13 on them. Today, I read and do Phase I of another chapter and do by far the worst I've ever done on any Phase...I got a whopping 6...:eek::mad:

Am I the only one that has some really bad consistency issues?

Yesterday, I was working through Phase II of a couple of chapters and scoring ~13 on them. Today, I read and do Phase I of another chapter and do by far the worst I've ever done on any Phase...I got a whopping 6...:eek::mad:

Yea TBR is great for those "reality checks." You do really well on a section and your ego is inflated and then you hit the next section and lose all your dignity.

On the bright side, it lets you know what sections you are weak at, so that you can go back and read the chapter again/do additional practice problems until you master it.

Yea TBR is great for those "reality checks." You do really well on a section and your ego is inflated and then you hit the next section and lose all your dignity.

On the bright side, it lets you know what sections you are weak at, so that you can go back and read the chapter again/do additional practice problems until you master it.

I guess that's why people say not to put too much stock in your phase scores since they'll fluctuate based on what chapter you're on and how well you know the material for that chapter moreso than your actual mcat taking ability?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea exactly. You should use scores on the phases to highlight major weaknesses in content that you may have. Don't go as far as to judge how well you will do on the test based on those scores, because you won't have a good diagnosis until you take a full length exam.

Yea exactly. You should use scores on the phases to highlight major weaknesses in content that you may have. Don't go as far as to judge how well you will do on the test based on those scores, because you won't have a good diagnosis until you take a full length exam.

Also realize the MCAT has what, 7 passages per section.

2-3 are easy, 2-3 medium and 2 are hard. Guess what, the hard BR passages will only be representative of 2 of 7 passages. If you can be well rounded enough to get the other 5 passages and discretes then you are golden. So if your phase score is 15 or 10 it doesn't really matter too much, why? because only a few passages (read: few topics) are going to require 13-15 level phase scores on BR passages.

This is to say, that the MCAT can require some luck. Of course there are people like LIS who do every passage from every company in the world, guaranteeing a 15 but most will not have (or chose not to have) this type of time to dedicate to the exam.

Last edited:
Also realize the MCAT has what, 7 passages per section.

2-3 are easy, 2-3 medium and 2 are hard. Guess what, the hard BR passages will only be representative of 2 of 7 passages. If you can be well rounded enough to get the other 5 passages and discretes then you are golden. So if your phase score is 15 or 10 it doesn't really matter too much, why? because only a few passages (read: few topics) are going to require 13-15 level phase scores on BR passages.

This is to say, that the MCAT can require some luck. Of course there are people like LIS who do every passage from every company in the world, guaranteeing a 15 but most will not have (or choose to dedicate) this type of time to dedicate to the exam.

Agree.

BR Verbal passages are long...
well i have taken the mcat last year
and to me,
BR passages are really similar to the real MCAT passages :D
im glad im getting 10s at least
but a lot of questions are comprehension questions which i dont like

yay!
i finally started doing phase II for each subject.
starting with Gen Chem.
I got 18/21 :D
when i was doing passages, i thought it was hard
but somehow i thought it correctly
goodlucke veryone

Hey guys using TBR. I just wrote my MCAT today so I don't have my marks obviously but I just wanted to throw in here that I used TBR for all subjects (used EK Bio also for quick bio review).

I'd say TBR was awesome, there were things on the MCAT I know I wouldn't have gotten if TBR didn't explain them out indepth. Obviously I can't reveal specifics but really go over your TBR passages and get familiar with the style. If you can do well on TBR and learn from your mistakes you will do well on the real deal. Good luck to everyone in their studies!

^seriously?

I have everything but kaplan and TBR :(

Well I'm not saying other sources are bad. I have no experience with any others xD. Just wanted to throw in my views that TBR is awesome. I have heard great great things about TPRH though, and I know a lot of people that have/are using it! EK Bio is awesome though, love that book.

ughh.. question.
i m using the BR Verbal...
im getting like 12s.
i used to get like 9-10 from EK.
Did i improve?
or the BR Verbal is just easier?
this is because i heard EK is a better indicator for Verbal section on the real MCAT.
i mean
BR's passage is longer and harder to comprehend...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or is the curve for book I of bio much harsher than the curve for book II? As in...in book II an 80% is ~13, whereas in book I, 80% is ~10.

ive been doing 3 - 4 passages a day for verbal,
got about 1 month and 2 weeks until the real test
when should i start doing a full-length verbal?

just did BR Bio Phase I of nerve & muscles.
pretty ridiculous questions lol
i gotta get used to these..
got 8 wrong haha

ive been doing 3 - 4 passages a day for verbal,
got about 1 month and 2 weeks until the real test
when should i start doing a full-length verbal?

depends on your pace. How many total passages are you willing to do in a day while not feeling burnt out?

i think i can do it,
im afraid that im gonna run out of materials.

also,
BR bio is like wow.
i just got rocked pretty hard
i know it should still be a learning material,
it decreases your confidence level.
(23/33) *cough cough...

Guys doing TBR, don't worry too much on how many you are getting wrong on the passages. Learn from your mistakes, and go back to the notes to brush up on the things you are getting wrong though. It isn't important to nail every question, it is important to make sure you know why you got questions wrong though. On the real mcat you are not gonna see passages with questions like in TBR, they will be a bit more generalized. TBR is aimed at getting you to really understand the topics, and to get familiarized with the mcat style.

Good luck all!

i think i can do it,
im afraid that im gonna run out of materials.

also,
BR bio is like wow.
i just got rocked pretty hard
i know it should still be a learning material,
it decreases your confidence level.
(23/33) *cough cough...

I wouldn't worry too much about BR bio. Anywhere from 25-30 is all the same in my eyes. If you're getting 35's then you are probably great, but where you are 23 vs. 30 isn't a large gap (it could be closed by learning how to eliminate AAMC answers, having a couple less BR random fact Q's, etc).

I say this all the time, but a person getting 25/35 on BR could end up with 12/13 on the real deal.

man
you boost my confidence!
thanks don.

just started doing TBR Orgo...
such a wonderful material.
phase I = 33/43

im telling my self not to get deppressed after
sucking in verbal section...

Can somebody give me some tips for postgaming once you've done passages? I'm doing a modified version of Sn2's schedule and so I'm using EK for my primary source of content and TBR for passages. Anyway, I did "Phase I" (in quotes because it seems there are no real "phases" for TBR bio) for the nerves and muscles section of TBR bio gook and got a whopping 16/28. I read through my mistakes, took notes on why I made the mistakes I made, and then the reasoning behind the correct answers. Because I did so poorly on Phase I of this, I decided to look over the material again as well and to go through the reasoning behind each correct answer in my head again before I moved on to Phase II. I then proceeded to Phase II and got 16/26...so I improved...but not much...and probably not a statistically significant amount. So obviously my postgaming for the nervous and muscular section has not worked...anybody have any tips for me?

Can somebody give me some tips for postgaming once you've done passages? I'm doing a modified version of Sn2's schedule and so I'm using EK for my primary source of content and TBR for passages. Anyway, I did "Phase I" (in quotes because it seems there are no real "phases" for TBR bio) for the nerves and muscles section of TBR bio gook and got a whopping 16/28. I read through my mistakes, took notes on why I made the mistakes I made, and then the reasoning behind the correct answers. Because I did so poorly on Phase I of this, I decided to look over the material again as well and to go through the reasoning behind each correct answer in my head again before I moved on to Phase II. I then proceeded to Phase II and got 16/26...so I improved...but not much...and probably not a statistically significant amount. So obviously my postgaming for the nervous and muscular section has not worked...anybody have any tips for me?

that bio book is just insane as far as the passages go, they're good practice, and they'll prepare you for those weird aamc passages, but I wouldn't get terribly discouraged from those scores, I used to, took an aamc, and then realized that berkeley is WAY overboard in difficulty for bio, but they are GREAT PRACTICE.

that bio book is just insane as far as the passages go, they're good practice, and they'll prepare you for those weird aamc passages, but I wouldn't get terribly discouraged from those scores, I used to, took an aamc, and then realized that berkeley is WAY overboard in difficulty for bio, but they are GREAT PRACTICE.

Yeah...I'm more worried about the fact that I didn't improve after postgaming. I'm aiming for a 13+ on the science sections...I've been averaging ~11-12 phase scores for the most part, I've read that many people see a nice jump in their scores once they go from TBR phases in the books to AAMC exams...so I have my fingers crossed that I'll be able to do this...but like I said, the part I've found disturbing about this particular chapter is my stagnation....usually if I start out with a low score, I've been able to improve by phase II, but not so much on this chapter.

Last edited:
Guys doing TBR, don't worry too much on how many you are getting wrong on the passages. Learn from your mistakes, and go back to the notes to brush up on the things you are getting wrong though. It isn't important to nail every question, it is important to make sure you know why you got questions wrong though. On the real mcat you are not gonna see passages with questions like in TBR, they will be a bit more generalized. TBR is aimed at getting you to really understand the topics, and to get familiarized with the mcat style.

Good luck all!

Would you say the TBR passages are more difficult than the real thing? Ive been getting 3-4 wrong a passage and got very depressed!

TBR passages are difficult
yes more difficult than the real thing (most of the time)
but we cant say for sure because the real mcat usually throws you with some random, BS, stupid passages
so i would rather say
TBR prepares you for the best.

--------------------------
28/35 in Bio, Reproduction section!
ugh.

Well sounds like these books are the way to go. I am definitely NOT having luck with my EK Lecture books. I resorted back to my college textbook for General Chemistry.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
What FL tests would you suggest purchasing from BR? I have to take my exam on 07/08 and I have already taken a few AAMC ones (3, 9, 10, going to take 4)....I heard TBR 1 is very easy.

For those that have taken the MCAT, which one seems to be on par with the level of difficulty of your exam.

Also, my Genetics (genetic recombination, meisosis) is really sloppy, would TBR be a better resource as opposed to EK in this subject matter?

I'm also not to great with Thermodynamics, and in one of the TBR books there was something about the Duma's Experiment.

Any advice would be highly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

TBR VERBAL: They seem to have plenty of questions about minute details that really just test you being able to find it in passage, that's not common on mcat right? just don't want to waste time stressing over those types if won't see those really...

although, anyone can give estimate of x/40 questions would be detailed oriented?

btw, snipermonkey i wasn't pulling 70/100 even on my best day with Bio. I'm rather jealous, lol. Only orgo has been kind exceptionally kind to me, hope get a BS with a few of those passages XD..

- Chem was fine, did decent mostly. I'm starting up physics now. Did that also this past year but really need to review it and hammer it down before i tackle TBR. i don't like how they explain stuff, doesn't really click with me too much =/

Is it just me or did everybody else find the passages from the first chapter or two of TBR physics particularly nasty?

Hi guys,
What FL tests would you suggest purchasing from BR? I have to take my exam on 07/08 and I have already taken a few AAMC ones (3, 9, 10, going to take 4)....I heard TBR 1 is very easy.

For those that have taken the MCAT, which one seems to be on par with the level of difficulty of your exam.

Also, my Genetics (genetic recombination, meisosis) is really sloppy, would TBR be a better resource as opposed to EK in this subject matter?

I'm also not to great with Thermodynamics, and in one of the TBR books there was something about the Duma's Experiment.

Any advice would be highly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

see:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=713538&highlight=sn2ed

I remembered when I was taking BR, the BR guy said that BR test 1 is easier, but the rest are hard. Also take AAMC #7-10, not the earlier ones, if you have to choose since later ones are harder, more on par with current MCAT difficulty

Personally I thought the Kaplan Bio is sufficient. So I would think the concise review of EK and PR are also sufficient. BR bio is very detail-oriented and "dense." But then I had taken a Genetics class, so if you're having trouble maybe you should use the textbooks or BR.

Also I think I got this ranking of practice exams from somewhere:
In terms of easily accessible tests (tests that are available to non-class MCAT studiers), BR and Gold Standard are your best bets. BR is generally regarded as better, but they're quite expensive. On the other hand, GS is much cheaper and one's average is usually about -2 due to the tough science sections. Both BR and GS are not known for good verbal.

When considering all four, unlike MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus. There's even an argument to be made that the AAMCs are only really good for verbal since there are more accurate CBTs in regards to the sciences.

1. AAMC #7-10
2. Kaplan #1-6
3. BR #1-7/GS #1-10
4. AAMC #3-6
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10

The reason why TPR tests are so low is because the opinions are too mixed to gain a good read.

I found TBR to be on par with difficulty of my MCAT in September. The only sense that the TBR CBTs are easier is that they're verbal scale is very forgiving. If I used the AAMC verbal scale though, TBR was spot on with my actual score, otherwise my TBR score was higher due to the forgiving verbal scale (it is also graded the old way with the written test in that after a certain mark the score is 13+, rather than a distinction between 13, 14, or 15).

IMHO, AAMC #3-6 aren't that bad at all. They are a bit more straight forward than the modern MCAT and TBR, but they are still excellent VR practice. Kaplan, meh... everything is very detail oriented, which is not good for VR as VR on the MCAT is more deductive, global, and inferenced based. I found Kaplan PS to be difficult and time consuming only because of the amount of math required, which again is no like the actual MCAT, and because of harping on specifics details of PS knowledge, unlike the MCAT. Kaplan BS is a bit more like the MCAT, but still.. less experimental hypothesis driven and more 'tell me what you know'. If you want a taste of what the modern MCAT is like TBR's BS reflects that. Just my personal take on it.

With that in mind, I would rank them:
1.) AAMC 7-10 (everyone MUST take these!)
2.) TBR or AAMC 3-6
3.) Kaplan 1-5. The rest are either graded too hard or harp on the most minor of details. They're bad for morale, and poor practice as well. And hey, on these boards I usually say that more difficult practice makes you a better game day test taker... Kaplan 6+ is the exception. Waste of time and money.

im using the TBR books to study! ive been doin really well on the TBR passages in all sections but when i wanted a change of scenery and went to TPR i was doing terrible! any reasons why this may be, this kinda scares me cuz my brother who got a 36 on his MCAT tells me that TPR passages are more similar to the actual test....

electrostatics chapter....WTF MAN

I understood almost nothing after they talked about clockwise-counterclockwise rotations.

i've been doing pretty good in the Physics concepts up until now...with electrostatics its just way over my head.

any suggestions?

God I hate BR bio sometimes...I don't think I'm the only one who's noticed that they have questions that require you to recall the most minute of details...wtf?!?!?!?:mad:

electrostatics chapter....WTF MAN

I understood almost nothing after they talked about clockwise-counterclockwise rotations.

i've been doing pretty good in the Physics concepts up until now...with electrostatics its just way over my head.

any suggestions?

I felt the same way as you did on the electrostatics chapter. Someone mentioned that TBR has left out a few essential equations for this chapter, and s/he had to use other sources (TPR in that person's case) to gain better understanding of the concept.

can someone please explain question number 13 from passage 2 in section 2..in BR Bio

i don't understand the explanation of how since citrate is a better chelator with Ca+2 that why it prevents clotting. But in the passage it says that chelating with Ca+2 aids in the formation of a clot.

Thanks

What is a good percentage on the BR passages in the book?

I was thinking anything more than 60% is good.

There was a post on this thread somewhere that said that if you're averaging ~70% on your phase scores in the bio book, you're probably in good shape to score a 12-13 on the actual thing. Take it for what it's worth.

Use your phase scores more as a tool to show where your weak areas are and less as a tool to predict what you'll get on the actual thing. Keep in mind, the passages at the end of the chapter are, in general, more difficult than the passages you'll see on the real thing and if even if the passages on the real thing are as tough as TBR passages, it will be scaled accordingly. Use your AAMC practice exam scores to predict how you'll do on the real thing.

Last edited:
Haven't posted on here for a while, but I just came across my favorite line while doing an example problem in the BR Chem book... "Holy smokes Batman, it's choice B!"

Just when I was starting to get frustrated with its dense content, BR recovered by throwing in an old school Batman reference. Bravo.

There was a post on this thread somewhere that said that if you're averaging ~70% on your phase scores in the bio book, you're probably in good shape to score a 12-13 on the actual thing. Take it for what it's worth.

Use your phase scores more as a tool to show where your weak areas are and less as a tool to predict what you'll get on the actual thing. Keep in mind, the passages at the end of the chapter are, in general, more difficult than the passages you'll see on the real thing and if even if the passages on the real thing are as tough as TBR passages, it will be scaled accordingly. Use your AAMC practice exam scores to predict how you'll do on the real thing.

Take all book scores with a grain of salt. I was 13-15 on every single chem chapter (i think) and ended up with a 12 PS on the real thing...