BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my books not too long ago and I tried to followed the PDF posted in earlier posts but am unable to find the correct passages for each phase. Do you all just do every third passage in the practice exams? Also, do you all always complete the review questions in one setting? Thanks in advance!

My question is for the Physics book series. I saw the post for Orgo and Chem in regards to Phases.

it never lets me highlight

btw, has anyone taken TBR CBT 5?

I feel like i just got a rectal exam from Paul Bunyan.

It was INSANE!

Ps - WTF
Vr - Alright not as hellish as can be
BS- WHAT THE F

reviving this post, same here. Was averaging above 30 on br cbt's 1-4 and then, bam, a 22 on cbt5

Yeah, CBT 5 was hard

avg'ed 35 on CBT 1 - 4

but got a 9 in PS on 5, although overall came out to 34.

PS was a beast, lots of weird conceptual questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still been progressing quite well with TBR review books and their end-of-chapter practice passages.

As stated before though- I still feel like TBR leaves out important topics to review before actually testing you on said topics. For example, in Chapter 1 of Biology, they have 2 passages dedicated to the neural integration of eye sight and hearing- topics not covered at ALL in the actual chapter review (meaning no discussion of the eye or ears in any respect). How anyone got those questions right without learning the material outside of the book is beyond me.

While I suspect they are simply trying to teach through the passages, I am not a huge fan of such patch-work learning; I'm afraid I'll be missing some details.

Completed all Ch. 1 Physics Questions for TBR:

Physics Ch. 1:

Phase I: 10
Phase II: 11.25
Phase III: 10

Section Average: 10.5 :(

Thought I knew Kinematics pretty well, but there were some obscure questions here, lol.

While I suspect they are simply trying to teach through the passages, I am not a huge fan of such patch-work learning; I'm afraid I'll be missing some details.

I use to think this as well. As you progress (Im on chapter 8 for TBR chems/physics) you will realize it was all part of the plan. The greatest learning and reinforcement of concepts comes in getting questions wrong and taking the time to understand why. Humans (esp. premeds) dont like to be wrong and I believe this plays into this somehow.

I use to think this as well. As you progress (Im on chapter 8 for TBR chems/physics) you will realize it was all part of the plan. The greatest learning and reinforcement of concepts comes in getting questions wrong and taking the time to understand why. Humans (esp. premeds) dont like to be wrong and I believe this plays into this somehow.

I second that. In Physics for example, there were a few questions regarding topspin and bottom spin, concepts I don't recall every encountering. The fact that I missed these problems ensures that if I ever encounter it again, I'll know how to approach it.

General Chemistry

Chapter 1: Stoichiometry

Phase I: 24/41 = 58% = 8.78
Phase II: 17/20 = 85% = 12.75
Phase III: 28/39 = 72% = 10.76

Section Average: 69/100 = 69% = 10.35

Really challenging chapter, especially under timed conditions. Stoichiometry is a beast!

Last edited:
General Chemistry

Really challenging chapter, especially under timed conditions. Stoichiometry is a beast!

That chapter punched me in the face.

That chapter punched me in the face.

I know right. Some of those passages, ...there was just no way you could finish them in under 8 minutes... just way too many calculations. I just hope I could remember everything I got wrong. On to the next chapter. o_o

I know right. Some of those passages, ...there was just no way you could finish them in under 8 minutes... just way too many calculations. I just hope I could remember everything I got wrong. On to the next chapter. o_o

yeah some of those passages are math intensive, good practice though so the real thing won't seem that hard.....I hope?

X3...sometimes Im not sure whether or not to just do the calculations and take slightly longer than 8min or just go with intuition/POE to pick my best guess. We get to do calculations throughout the chapter so I feel like we get some good practice there.

Im on chapter 7 in TBR gen chem, physics, and orgo and I def do not remember the early chapters in aa great of detail as was required to do some of the passage questions. Hate that feeling...

X3...sometimes Im not sure whether or not to just do the calculations and take slightly longer than 8min or just go with intuition/POE to pick my best guess. We get to do calculations throughout the chapter so I feel like we get some good practice there.

Im on chapter 7 in TBR gen chem, physics, and orgo and I def do not remember the early chapters in aa great of detail as was required to do some of the passage questions. Hate that feeling...

POE under time constraints. Then, when you check answers, do the math yourself (prior to reading the solution). You need to be able to POE like none other for the real thing. Find shortcuts. This isn't college physics/chem/bio/ochem anymore -- no need to show your work or explain how you arrived at your answer. It's really a test of intuition and problem solving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the science sections of TBR 8 last night.

Ran outta time on PS and had to guess on a passage. Not sure what happened. I'm going to chalk it up to being tired.

Still. 10 PS/9BS.
I'm hitting ~20 on TBR science sections. I think that's decent. Doing the PS/BS for TBR 9 tonight. Huzzah.

Took the science sections of TBR 8 last night.

Ran outta time on PS and had to guess on a passage. Not sure what happened. I'm going to chalk it up to being tired.

Still. 10 PS/9BS.
I'm hitting ~20 on TBR science sections. I think that's decent. Doing the PS/BS for TBR 9 tonight. Huzzah.

word. taking AAMC 3 this week, if I score below 20 I'll change career paths...:smuggrin:

Hey guys,
I'm preparing for July 6th mcat, while leaves roughly 65 days. This is a bit short on time to do Berkeley Review material (I found out about TBR just recently), so I'm using EK to prepare for the material. I will probably finish all EK prep for just the material portion and will have 30 days left for practice. Can you guys suggest how I should use TBR for practice so I can get most benefit from those 30 days I have? I think that all the TBR books have roughly 500 passages combined, which is impossible to finish in a month along with FL AAMC tests. Therefore, I'm not going to use TBR for Verbal (EK 101) or O'chem (small portion of test). I am planning to use it just for Bio, Physics, and Gen Chem. That's still 381 passages. Do you think it's doable? Also, should I still do the end of the chapter problems, or will doing just those passages suffice?
I apologize if this has already been asked. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me with this. My mcat has got to be strong (>or=34) since all other parts of my applications lag behind. Any recommend would be huge for me and would help me a lot. Thanks.

Last edited:
Last TBR exam taken.

Again, just the BS and PS sections.

Finished PS on the dime. BS I finished with 20 mins left.

PS: 44/52. Score 13
BS: 34/52. Score 9

I hope I fare better on the AAMC's for the BS!

I'm starting them up again this weekend.

I'm beginning to have a love/hate relationship with TBR CBTs. PS is pretty close to what the AAMC tests are in my opinion. The bio is absolutely insane on these TBR exams..maybe it's just me but the questions are ridiculous. I'm hoping that they make the AAMC bio seem extremely easy. And verbal I just suck at. (but TBR is harder than EK101 or the AAMC CBTs in my opinion)

Sorry for the rant, just took TBR CBT 3 and got 10/7/10 so I'm kind of heated :p

I've found that TBR VR on average is easier than both the AAMC's and the EK101 exams. Mostly because the curve is lenient so you can get a higher score with less q's right.

My average for TBR was about 1 pt higher than my average for EK101 and AAMC.

The TBR is def good practice though.

I've also only used their exams, so I can't comment on their strategy and such.

Organic Chemistry

Chapter 1: Structure, Bonding, Reactivity

Phase I: 38/43 = 88.3% = 13.26
Phase II: 16/20 = 80.0% = 12
Phase III: 26/37= 70.2% = 10.54

Section Average: 80/100 = 80.0% = 12

Rushed Phase III because I was mentally exhausted. One thing I like about Organic though is that even if you forgot something, you can make a lot of inferences from the passage information. Good to know. Off to bed I go. o_o

ok - so just started and started doing the physics passages and got like 0/7 in some of them!!!!!

did anyone start low and then increase? mind you these are my first passages ever taken :S

General Chemistry

Did u take the entire section in one setting as aan actual exam? Or did you break it up into the phases and take them as you study (i.e. like SN2 study schedule suggestion)? Plz let me know! Thanks!

Just took my CBT 7

I got 11/11/11,,, just can't seem to break it into that 13-15 range

33 on CBT 7 is great!

I got 30 on that thing, while avg 38 on the AAMCs...so you're in good shape

33 on CBT 7 is great!

I got 30 on that thing, while avg 38 on the AAMCs...so you're in good shape

which AAMC?

thanks for your kind words,,,

here are my scores so far

CBT 1: 11.5/10/11 (32.5)
CBT 2: 11.5/9/9 (29.5) I think the verbal test was cr*p !
CBT 4: 11.5/11.5/11.5 (34.5)

Gosh, I think I am going to take Cliche's advice and stop doing the verbal. i think its making me less critical thinker which EK required me to have

They're not bad so if you have the time I would do both.

I think I was doing much better on the latter TBR's than I am doing on the AAMC's. My PS was better on the TBR's.

I've taken 5, 7, 8 for aamc lately and received a 31, 31, 30. The 2nd 31 could be a 33 because it looked like the program glitched, but we'll see.

Atleast I'm consistent. 1 more week to make the push to get above the score I'm aiming for.

The TBR exams really did help. If I can stop ignoring the info in the bio passages I'll start doing much better...

I think I was doing much better on the latter TBR's than I am doing on the AAMC's. My PS was better on the TBR's.

I've taken 5, 7, 8 for aamc lately and received a 31, 31, 30. The 2nd 31 could be a 33 because it looked like the program glitched, but we'll see.

Atleast I'm consistent. 1 more week to make the push to get above the score I'm aiming for.

The TBR exams really did help. If I can stop ignoring the info in the bio passages I'll start doing much better...

why ignore the info?

Yeah... that'll kill you on the real exam. It'll come w/ practice, though. TBR does a good job of teaching you look back at the passage....

Yeah... that'll kill you on the real exam. It'll come w/ practice, though. TBR does a good job of teaching you look back at the passage....

Yeah, I just need to be in the zone. I've done as high as 12 on aamc when I've been completely focused. If my focus snaps even for a second then I end up getting 10.

The best I did was 11 on TBR. I just need to get my act together. It'll happen.

I just need caffeine and need to work myself up for it.

Yeah, I just need to be in the zone. I've done as high as 12 on aamc when I've been completely focused. If my focus snaps even for a second then I end up getting 10.

The best I did was 11 on TBR. I just need to get my act together. It'll happen.

I just need caffeine and need to work myself up for it.

who know, I am hoping that my norepinephrine is going to work for me on the date of the exam... :laugh:

who know, I am hoping that my norepinephrine is going to work for me on the date of the exam... :laugh:

My PS is suffering though. I got as high as 13 on tbr but haven't hit 11 on aamc. I think part of it is because for the TBR exams I could do the problems without reading the passages and now I'm having trouble getting through everything on the AAMC's.

Need to pull it together this weds. Woot.

My PS is suffering though. I got as high as 13 on tbr but haven't hit 11 on aamc. I think part of it is because for the TBR exams I could do the problems without reading the passages and now I'm having trouble getting through everything on the AAMC's.

Need to pull it together this weds. Woot.

Can anyone on here tell me how your scores started out with doing practice passages etc and then progressed till now? I just started full time studying this week and have till the first week of Aug but my scores in TBR passages are really low (3/6, 2/5) and I'm freaking out and am just wondering if anyone was in the same place at any point???:scared:

Can anyone on here tell me how your scores started out with doing practice passages etc and then progressed till now? I just started full time studying this week and have till the first week of Aug but my scores in TBR passages are really low (3/6, 2/5) and I'm freaking out and am just wondering if anyone was in the same place at any point???:scared:

I kept a spreadsheet since my first aamc. There aren't any dates on it but it's spread out since feb. Just sent it to you. I'm nothing special though.

I started the process shooting for a 32 and I KNOW I can do better than that as long as I can keep my concentration up during the test. I'm going to prove that to myself (and the mofoing world) this weds.

CHAPTER 1: Stoichiometry

Phase I: 24/41 = 58.54% = 8.78
Phase II: 17/20 = 85.00% = 12.75
Phase III: 28/39 = 72.79% = 10.76

Total: 69/100 = 69.00% = 10.35

CHAPTER 2: Atomic Theory

Phase I: 31/37 = 83.78% = 12.57
Phase II: 28/33 = 84.85% = 12.73
Phase III: 28/30 = 93.33% = 14.00

Total: 87/100 = 87.00% = 13.05

CHAPTER 3: Equilibrium

Phase I: 29/35 = 82.86% = 12.43
Phase II: 23/34 = 67.65% = 10.14
Phase IIIl: 27/31 = 87.10% = 13.06

Total: 79/100 = 79.00% = 11.85

CHAPTER 4: Acids & Bases

Phase I: 31/35 = 88.57% = 13.29
Phase II: 23/27 = 85.19% = 12.77
Phase III: 31/38 = 81.58% = 12.23

Total: 85/100 = 85.00% = 12.75

CHAPTER 5: Buffers & Titrations

Phase I: 26/35 = 74.29% = 11.14
Phase II: 35/41 = 85.37% = 12.80
Phase III: 20/24 = 83.33% = 12.50

Total: 81/100 = 81.00% = 12.15

Last edited:
If someone is scoring in BR physics book 8/15 consistently and 9-10/15 in chemistry, what would be a realistic score for that person to expect in the real mcat in the PS section?

Hey guys,
I've read "How to Self-Study for the MCAT" thread by BerkReviewTech. I really like the logic behind the three phases. However, do you guys know why Phase 3 is not timed, considering it's closest to the MCAT material? I know it involves incorporating different concepts together, but wouldn't it still be better to take it timed?

Are you guys timing yourselves for Phase 3?

Just got slayed by CBT 8 and 9

CBT 8 : 11/7/10 - 28 (I thought I did really well on BS but still only got 10)
CBT 9 : 11.5/9/10 - 30.5

I am really fed up with not breaking above 8-11 range on all the section.

I mean, whats the point of keep taking these tests if my points aren't improving? I mean they are good reviews and all, but I feel like I am getting nowhere and my test date is approaching rather soon.

Last edited:
Just got slayed by CBT 8 and 9

CBT 8 : 11/7/10 - 28 (I thought I did really well on BS but still only got 10)
CBT 9 : 11.5/9/10 - 30.5

I am really fed up with not breaking above 8-11 range on all the section.

I mean, whats the point of keep taking these tests if my points aren't improving? I mean they are good reviews and all, but I feel like I am getting nowhere and my test date is approaching rather soon.

Curious. How do you get an "11.5"? Wishful thinking?

It looks like you need to go back and solidify the basics. I'd stop wasting the AAMCs, consider pushing back your test date, and do some solid targeted review. It's clear you're weak in some areas if you're feeling good and ending up w/ a 10. Further, your VR is killing you and that requires time. You need to bring that up consistently.