BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

If you know how to calculate logs, the dB formula is a piece of cake!

dB = 10 log (I/Io) where Io = 10^-12!

You can do it!

So, for example. If the the reference intensity was say, 10^-5 then to do that would I:

dB = 10 log (10^-5/10^-12)

dB = 10 log (10^7)

dB = 10 * 7 = 70 dB?

So, for example. If the the reference intensity was say, 10^-5 then to do that would I:

dB = 10 log (10^-5/10^-12)

dB = 10 log (10^7)

Now is this part right? I don't know if I multiply 7 by 10 or not here:

dB = 10 * 7 = 70 dB?

exactly! and it's very useful for determining changes in "loudness" (dBs between two sounds

An MCAT Q might be something like.... if one train produces a whistle with an intensity of 10^-4 and another train produces one twice as intense, how much louder is the second one?

So the first one is 10log (10^-4/10^-12) = 10log(10^8) = 80 dB.

The second train is NOT 160 dBs, because it's 10log (2 * 10^8) = 10log2 + 10log(10^8) which is 10(.3) + 80 which roughly equals 83 dBs! Just make sure you don't forget the 10 in front of log2.

See? Now no dB problem shall ever fool you again!

Edit: a good rule of thumb is that for an increase by 10 dBs, intensity would have to increase by a factor of 10.

Edit #2: TBR goes into this in their section on sound.

exactly! and it's very useful for determining changes in "loudness" (dBs between two sounds

An MCAT Q might be something like.... if one train produces a whistle with an intensity of 10^-4 and another train produces one twice as intense, how much louder is the second one?

So the first one is 10log (10^-4/10^-12) = 10log(10^8) = 80 dB.

The second train is NOT 160 dBs, because it's 10log (2 * 10^8) = 10log2 + 10log(10^8) which is 10(.3) + 80 which roughly equals 83 dBs! Just make sure you don't forget the 10 in front of log2.

See? Now no dB problem shall ever fool you again!

Edit: a good rule of thumb is that for an increase by 10 dBs, intensity would have to increase by a factor of 10.

Edit #2: TBR goes into this in their section on sound.

The rule of thumb is what I was using, but it's nice to know how to officially do it. Thanks for the help! I finished the section of sound without using the dB formula, but I'll use it in the future if it comes up, because it's fast! :thumbup:

Dude, tell me that log chapter wasn't the greatest think you've read. I think their physics books are great, but their Gchem book is unbelievable.

Did you catch the mistake in the log table on pg 255, with the log 6?

I think it was supposed to be log 3 + log 2 = .477 + .301 = .778

They have log 2 + log 2... :nono:

but I'll let them slide based on how rock solid that chapter is!

Edit: There was also one on pg. 239 reaction 4.4. It should be HA + OH- not HA + HA

Members don't see this ad :)
I was SO excited when my books came in the mail and I actually look forward to reading them every day. Sick as it may be, it's probably a GOOD thing to want to study for the MCAT.

Did you catch the mistake in the log table on pg 255, with the log 6?

I think it was supposed to be log 3 + log 2 = .477 + .301 = .778

They have log 2 + log 2... :nono:

but I'll let them slide based on how rock solid that chapter is!

Edit: There was also one on pg. 239 reaction 4.4. It should be HA + OH- not HA + HA

Haha yea I caught both of those mistakes. But yea, TBR is officially my savior. Never in a million years did I think I would understand chem/physics.

I got seriously owned on the electrostatics passages for Phase I haha, busted a 6. I'll probably post a bunch of my scores after a couple days once I've finished gchem/physics.

Haha yea I caught both of those mistakes. But yea, TBR is officially my savior. Never in a million years did I think I would understand chem/physics.

Amen to that. I'm no all-star at it now, but I'm a million miles ahead of where I thought I would be in PS.

Anyone else feel pretty busted up after reading physics IX on Electric Circuits?

I thought things were going ok until I got to Kirchhoff's Rules and calculating I, V, and R through parallel and series... Then when I hit capacitors in series/parallel I thought about putting my head through a window...

Anyone have any other resources for these concepts? Main Kirchhoff's? I figure if I can get Kirchhoff's I'll be able to figure out capacitors.

Either way, it just whooped my ass. I don't even want to take the phase I questions until I have a better grasp of how to calculate those types of problems...

Anyone else feel pretty busted up after reading physics IX on Electric Circuits?

I thought things were going ok until I got to Kirchhoff's Rules and calculating I, V, and R through parallel and series... Then when I hit capacitors in series/parallel I thought about putting my head through a window...

Anyone have any other resources for these concepts? Main Kirchhoff's? I figure if I can get Kirchhoff's I'll be able to figure out capacitors.

Either way, it just whooped my ass. I don't even want to take the phase I questions until I have a better grasp of how to calculate those types of problems...
I just did this section yesterday, and it was definitely a little tougher to understand since I'm basically relearning all the terminology. If you goto www.khanacademy.org you will see a bunch of videos in the physics section. There are a couple videos on electrical circuits that I recommend watching. He doesn't go into too much detail, and some of kirchoff's rules still may be a bit unclear, but maybe it will help you out.

I just did this section yesterday, and it was definitely a little tougher to understand since I'm basically relearning all the terminology. If you goto www.khanacademy.org you will see a bunch of videos in the physics section. There are a couple videos on electrical circuits that I recommend watching. He doesn't go into too much detail, and some of kirchoff's rules still may be a bit unclear, but maybe it will help you out.

Thanks, man. I'll have to check his E&M stuff out. :thumbup:

I'm glad to see others very hesitant about their Biology book. I just starting reading the first chapter and I raised my eyebrow to the chapter.

I was expecting the first chapter to be about the structure of prokaryotes and eukaryotes like most Biology books discuss.

Good thing I have the EK bio book and 1001 series.

I was wondering if any of you guys are done with your TBR books, instead of doing the money order thing and waiting 2 weeks for them, I'd love to buy them used. It seems like its been a great help to all of you.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if any of you guys are done with your TBR books, instead of doing the money order thing and waiting 2 weeks for them, I'd love to buy them used. It seems like its been a great help to all of you.

Thanks so much!

You don't want mine. I've marked the hell out of them.

Can someone elaborate on something in tbr physics for translational motion? #13-its the galileo/aristotle passage...

Honestly, I'm pretty lost. The explanation was (uncharacteristically) vague and brief. Why is it not C?

Honestly, I would love it if someone demonstrated their mcat brilliance w/ this. Throw me a bone here man.

Hey guys,

I'm going to be a sophomore and im thinking about taking the test next summer....or possibly Jan 2011.

It's a long ways away but I dont think i will have time to spend just on studying so I would like to start reviewing chem/physics to keep things fresh..

Will the BR books change a lot from now to then or would be ok for me to get a few and start working?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking :oops:

Hey guys,

I'm going to be a sophomore and im thinking about taking the test next summer....or possibly Jan 2011.

It's a long ways away but I dont think i will have time to spend just on studying so I would like to start reviewing chem/physics to keep things fresh..

Will the BR books change a lot from now to then or would be ok for me to get a few and start working?

There is definitely a new physics books in the works, so wait till you know for sure that's released. It's supposed to have new and improved methods and strategies. As far as organic/gchem/biology go, afaik those books aren't due for much change anytime soon.

Hey guys,

Never say "I don't think I will have time to spend just on studying." If you want to do well on the MCAT without dying of stress, try as hard as you can to take the test when you have no school/job, or at the very least when you're taking an extremely light class load. Studying for the MCAT really IS a full time job.

I recommend not touching a review book until at the earliest 4 months before your test. If you insist, don't do any of the problems in the book because you should save those for when you actually start studying for the MCAT.

Can someone elaborate on something in tbr physics for translational motion? #13-its the galileo/aristotle passage...

Honestly, I'm pretty lost. The explanation was (uncharacteristically) vague and brief. Why is it not C?

Honestly, I would love it if someone demonstrated their mcat brilliance w/ this. Throw me a bone here man.

Can you post the question? I don't have my Physics I book with me, but i might remember the question/passage.

Can you post the question? I don't have my Physics I book with me, but i might remember the question/passage.

First off, thank you for even trying.... For some reason, I can't let question go. I usually can figure it out, but whatever.

Q) according to aristotle, objects @ rest tend to remain @ rest. It follows that if an object is released from rest and falls vertically, it shouldn't fall, since it's natural tendency to stay @ rest. This statement is:

A)true; obj released and allowed to fall doesn't really start from rest, it's an approximation we make.
B) true, if we lived in a vacuum.
C) false, galileo demonstrated that an obj's natural tendency is to remain in motion
(*seemed right @ the time)
D) false, it's possible for the velocity of an obj to be zero while the rate of chage of velecity is not zero. (Wtf...)

I put C, correct is D.

D) false, it's possible for the velocity of an obj to be zero while the rate of chage of velecity is not zero. (Wtf...)

Hmm, I definitely remember this one tripping me up too. I just realized it says rate of change of velocity, meaning acceleration. If you imagine throwing a ball in the air, at the highest point, it's velocity is 0 but it still has a rate of change of velocity (acceleration) of 10m/s^2 due to gravity. So the answer is false because at the highest point, the object is at rest and it will NOT remain at rest, because although the velocity is 0, it still has an acceleration of -10m/s^2, and will soon begin to fall vertically.

Last edited:
First off, thank you for even trying.... For some reason, I can't let question go. I usually can figure it out, but whatever.

Q) according to aristotle, objects @ rest tend to remain @ rest. It follows that if an object is released from rest and falls vertically, it shouldn't fall, since it's natural tendency to stay @ rest. This statement is:

A)true; obj released and allowed to fall doesn't really start from rest, it's an approximation we make.
B) true, if we lived in a vacuum.
C) false, galileo demonstrated that an obj's natural tendency is to remain in motion
(*seemed right @ the time)

I put C, correct is D.

Ok, so for this question, I would firstly eliminate A and B, because you know that Aristotle is wrong, so it has to be false.

Then for C, Newton's first law states that objects in motion tend to remain in motion AND objects at rest tend to remain at rest. So, question C is a half-truth. It doesn't account for objects at rest staying at rest. It is making the assumption that objects are always in motion.

With this in mind you should eliminate choice C as an answer choice, then it really doesn't matter what D is, because you know it's not A, B, or C, so it has to be D.

But in looking at D. Think about Velocity. It is Displacement/time. NOT distance over time, this is because velocity is a vector quantity. It has to have both magnitude AND direction. So, for an object that starts out at point A, travels 100 miles south to point B, then 100 miles north back to point a in 100 seconds, would set up a formula like this:

Total displacement = 0, because you end up where you started. Total distance on the other hand is 200 miles, but velocity looks at displacement, not distance.

So, now you set your displacement over time:

0m/100s = 0 m/s So now your velocity is zero, but the rate of change in velocity is not, because had you taken your velocity equation from 40s when you were still heading south, there would be a net velocity.

It's weird to think about, but you just have to remember that velocity is a vector, so if you end where you start you have zero direction, thus you have zero displacement (because by the nature of displacement, you have to be "displaced" meaning moved to some other point).

This is why D makes sense, but remember, you didn't even need to know why D worked, just that the other three violated Newton's 1st law.

Hope that helps.

Just got the books and finished the first Gen Chem section today. I like the book so far and the amount of passages in it are absurd (in a good way). Really hoping that these get my physics scores where I want them.

Section 1 Phase 1 - 37/41 (~13)

Hi,
I have the TBR books but I don't seem to find the page where it tells you about the phases. I looked on the page right before the passages start but all it says is some general advice. I may have an older version of the books. I have the 2003 versions. If so, can anyone send me the phases for physics, gen chem, and bio? Thanks.

Hi,
I have the TBR books but I don't seem to find the page where it tells you about the phases. I looked on the page right before the passages start but all it says is some general advice. I may have an older version of the books. I have the 2003 versions. If so, can anyone send me the phases for physics, gen chem, and bio? Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's the same, but here it is for the current books:

Attachments

• General Homework List 2009 Berkeley Books.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 392
ok, so for this question, i would firstly eliminate a and b, because you know that aristotle is wrong, so it has to be false.

Then for c, newton's first law states that objects in motion tend to remain in motion and objects at rest tend to remain at rest. So, question c is a half-truth. It doesn't account for objects at rest staying at rest. It is making the assumption that objects are always in motion.

With this in mind you should eliminate choice c as an answer choice, then it really doesn't matter what d is, because you know it's not a, b, or c, so it has to be d.

But in looking at d. Think about velocity. It is displacement/time. Not distance over time, this is because velocity is a vector quantity. It has to have both magnitude and direction. So, for an object that starts out at point a, travels 100 miles south to point b, then 100 miles north back to point a in 100 seconds, would set up a formula like this:

Total displacement = 0, because you end up where you started. Total distance on the other hand is 200 miles, but velocity looks at displacement, not distance
so, now you set your displacement over time:

0m/100s = 0 m/s so now your velocity is zero, but the rate of change in velocity is not, because had you taken your velocity equation from 40s when you were still heading south, there would be a net velocity.

It's weird to think about, but you just have to remember that velocity is a vector, so if you end where you start you have zero direction, thus you have zero displacement (because by the nature of displacement, you have to be "displaced" meaning moved to some other point).

This is why d makes sense, but remember, you didn't even need to know why d worked, just that the other three violated newton's 1st law.

Hope that helps.

thank you so much

(# right/ total #) * (# of questions in that section) so it matches up with the little scale they give you.

ya thanks a lot. but it doesn't give the schedule for biology. They didn't make up a schedule for it?

You should email BR directly. I'm sure they'll send you one.

The one I have only has, Organic, Gchem, and Physics otherwise I would upload it for you.

I finally ordered my books today. I am hoping that my check dont get lost somewhere in between!

I seriously hope you used a money order and not a check!

Yea I used money order (was going to use cashier check but it cost more). I called and finally they replied muahah. I bet they thought I just started study for MCAT cuz they were like well you should probably overnight it and do 3 day delivery

Yea I used money order (was going to use cashier check but it cost more). I called and finally they replied muahah. I bet they thought I just started study for MCAT cuz they were like well you should probably overnight it and do 3 day delivery

When is your exam?

When is your exam?

August 21st, but I am like 95% done with all the basic stuff. All I am doing now is fine tuning and take practice tests. I am shooting for a 40 (getting like 34-35 right now) so I am just trying to get to 100% :)

I am mainly buying it for my gf who is taking it in the spring.

August 21st, but I am like 95% done with all the basic stuff. All I am doing now is fine tuning and take practice tests. I am shooting for a 40 (getting like 34-35 right now) so I am just trying to get to 100% :)

I am mainly buying it for my gf who is taking it in the spring.

Ahhh, you'll be fine then. I was doing terrible before I got their books then my scores shot way up after I reviewed them. I've only spent about 3 weeks on physics and Gchem and I'm almost done with the books. I also work close to full-time, so if I could do it in 3 weeks, then you'll blaze through them.

Ahhh, you'll be fine then. I was doing terrible before I got their books then my scores shot way up after I reviewed them. I've only spent about 3 weeks on physics and Gchem and I'm almost done with the books. I also work close to full-time, so if I could do it in 3 weeks, then you'll blaze through them.

I am having hard time studying more than 3 hours a day cuz it is so boring! x.x. Once you know most of them then it gets really boring cuz you can do like 100 problems and only find less than a handful that you can learn anything from x.x

Last edited:
I am having hard time studying more than 3 hours a day cuz it is so boring! x.x. Once you know most of them then it gets really boring cuz you can do like 100 problems and only find less than a handful that you can learn anything from x.x

Well, that's probably not going to be my problem on this exam. If I had started prepping earlier, maybe, but at this point I'm just trying to cram as much info into my brain before Friday as I possibly can.

The books will still probably be able to teach you a bit though. Since you're doing so well already, I'm sure they could be that boost you're looking for to get close to or in the 40's.

4 days into the Gen Chem/Physics books...

Gen Chem
Section 1 Phase 1 (13)
Section 1 Phase 2 (10)
Section 2 Phase 1 (13)
Section 2 Phase 2 (12)
Section 3 Phase 1 (10)
Section 3 Phase 2 (11)
Section 4 Phase 1 (11)
Section 4 Phase 2 (11)
Section 5 Phase 1 (12)
Section 5 Phase 2 (11)
Section 6 Phase 1 (11)
Section 6 Phase 2 (11)
Section 7 Phase 1 (10)
Section 7 Phase 2 (13)
Section 8 Phase 1 (10)
Section 8 Phase 2 (12)
Section 9 Phase 1 (11)

Physics
Section 1 Phase 1 (8)
Section 1 Phase 2 (10)
Section 2 Phase 1 (10)
Section 2 Phase 2 (12)
Section 3 Phase 1 (12)
Section 3 Phase 2 (9) :(
Section 4 Phase 1 (12)
Section 4 Phase 2 (10)
Section 5 Phase 1 (11)
Section 5 Phase 2 (11)
Section 6 Phase 1 (11)
Section 6 Phase 2 (11)
Section 7 Phase 1 (13)
Section 7 Phase 2 (13)
Section 8 Phase 1 (10)
Section 8 Phase 2 (10)
Section 9 Phase 1 (10) *Man I hate electricity and electromagnetism*

Last edited:
Two quick questions:

Is anyone else working through the bio books and struggling? Whoa....i originally didn't plan on getting the BR bio, but then my mom covered the cost of all 4 science books and I read a comment on here in support of the bio books, so I jsut decided to get them too. I worked through the first section and did the first three passages and really struggled. However, after looking over the detailed answer explanations, it seemed to make sense. Reading the answers were more helpful to me than the content review itself! So I think it will help in the long run, jsut wondering fi anyone else is finding it very difficult? I don't take the test until January.

Secondly, is the math in the TBR Chem and physics books fairly representative of the math on the real deal? I understand the content of Chem and Physics, but if a question requires calcualtion at all it really slows me down. TBR has ltos of tips for avoiding calculations, but it can be hard to break the habit of wanting to use a formula AND hard to trust my estimations!

Two quick questions:

Is anyone else working through the bio books and struggling? Whoa....i originally didn't plan on getting the BR bio, but then my mom covered the cost of all 4 science books and I read a comment on here in support of the bio books, so I jsut decided to get them too. I worked through the first section and did the first three passages and really struggled. However, after looking over the detailed answer explanations, it seemed to make sense. Reading the answers were more helpful to me than the content review itself! So I think it will help in the long run, jsut wondering fi anyone else is finding it very difficult? I don't take the test until January.

Secondly, is the math in the TBR Chem and physics books fairly representative of the math on the real deal? I understand the content of Chem and Physics, but if a question requires calcualtion at all it really slows me down. TBR has ltos of tips for avoiding calculations, but it can be hard to break the habit of wanting to use a formula AND hard to trust my estimations!

I don't have the bio books so I can't really comment on that.

However, I do think the math is a little too time consuming, especially where they'll give you choices like 17.2 and 16.5. I tend to make a lot of stupid mistakes because I'll get an answer close to 17 and immediately pick a choice without looking to see if there's a better one. On the actual MCAT, I think you'll mostly have to differentiate between numbers with different powers of ten, but if you can get used to the TBR math, then you'll breeze through the MCAT math so it can't hurt.

Two quick questions:

You MUST estimate. Otherwise you're wasting precious time. Follow the BR method. It's amazing.

Did anyone do the first two optics in chapter questions on page 222 and 223? I don't know how the hell they did those calculations... I took a few minutes then just turned the page and said to myself, "Hope that's not on my MCAT." ha ha.

Did anyone do the first two optics in chapter questions on page 222 and 223? I don't know how the hell they did those calculations... I took a few minutes then just turned the page and said to myself, "Hope that's not on my MCAT." ha ha.
+1, I was actually going to post 10.1b (I think it was that, too lazy to check), in the study questions section to see if someone could explain it, but I got too lazy. Maybe I will sometime

+1, I was actually going to post 10.1b (I think it was that, too lazy to check), in the study questions section to see if someone could explain it, but I got too lazy. Maybe I will sometime

Ha ha. Yeah, at this point I'm just thinking, well at least I'll have a 25% chance if I get one of those questions.

Im sure this ha sbeen answered before but IM getting tired of searching so i wanted to know in the physics book they have some in chapter questions with th eletter "b" following them but they dont give answers to them- are they available? if theyre not then i think thatd be stupid because then how can i be dure my logic is correct?
Also ym Gcheck book tells me to do the phases but my physics book doesnt break it up into phases and just tells em to doten passages- how do you find the phases and phase specific score conversions? thanks

Im sure this ha sbeen answered before but IM getting tired of searching so i wanted to know in the physics book they have some in chapter questions with th eletter "b" following them but they dont give answers to them- are they available? if theyre not then i think thatd be stupid because then how can i be dure my logic is correct?
Also ym Gcheck book tells me to do the phases but my physics book doesnt break it up into phases and just tells em to doten passages- how do you find the phases and phase specific score conversions? thanks

The answer key is on the last page with printed material in the book. No solutions. The phase key for Gen Chem, OChem, and Chem is attached.

Attachments

• General Homework List 2009 Berkeley Books(2).pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 393
I would like to see the correlation between Berkeley Review practice tests and the real MCAT. Anyone have a link?

I went through the BR stuff for my MCAT (06/18/09) and may have some of it for sale if my score comes back high enough. I think it was all great; much better than Kaplan for me.

Hi I'm sort of new to the BR and i only bought the physical sciences books. I am not sure how to time myself for phase two physics sections because the times they give include the in-class passages, which i don't have. is there a prescribed amount of time i should be using?

Hi I'm sort of new to the BR and i only bought the physical sciences books. I am not sure how to time myself for phase two physics sections because the times they give include the in-class passages, which i don't have. is there a prescribed amount of time i should be using?

I did the calculations and it is:

1.29 x (number of questions) = total minutes for all passages

If it comes out to be an uneven number I just round down to the nearest minute. I do this for all phases except one which I just try to finish in 6-7 minutes but never longer than 10 minutes. Remember this is just doing it and not for the review which should take at least as long as it took you to do all the passages for the phase.

Hope this helps, I know this is a common questions on the forum,

-LIS

EDIT: This is only for the PS sections as that is the only section I am using TBR for. It is probably the same for BS but someone might want to check just in case.

Last edited:
In the bio book page 18 it says the Ach is synthesized in cytosol of the nerv. isnt this wrong? Shouldnt it be in ER since other wise it wont be in vesicle?

Nvm it isnt a peptide lol lolol...damn that was stupid of me.

I'm doing Physics section 2 right now and some of the examples do not have answers to them. Does anyone know where we get these answers? Section 1 had all of the answers to them, I don't know why they would change the format...