BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to echo a previous poster and give a shoutout to TBR for making such good books. One of the passages on my test yesterday may have well came directly from a practice passage I did from TBR, so I spent a total of 1-2 minutes on that passage (to make sure it wasn't too good to be true). I know their physics and general chemistry sections get the most SDN acclaim, but I think their organic chemistry is just as, if not more, outstanding and doesn't get enough recognition. Their biology, specifically the practice passages, make you extra sharp as well, so the real test will seem easy. All-around great set of review books, TBR.

If i was to use EK series for content review and BR review for passages would that be efficient way to study, since i only have 2 months left of studying .

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since we're talking about BR stuff, why not.

I have a question about Physics VIII (E&M stuff)...for the review questions, there was a passage about the two metal spheres. And question 17 asked why it was important for the rod to not touch the sphere, to which the answer was to prevent the transfer of charge.

But then question 18, the answer says that both spheres attracted charges, even though the glass rod didn't touch them? I'm slightly confused...

If anyone knows what I'm talking about feel free to explain it to me :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
If i was to use EK series for content review and BR review for passages would that be efficient way to study, since i only have 2 months left of studying .

You can do this for the physics and chemistry questions, but you'll get boned hard on the bio passages if you don't at least skim the BR chapters first.

There's one genetics passage that's just brutal, even with reading the material.

I'm sure this question has been posted before but I can't seem to find it.

For Orgo ch 6 (carbohydrates), there seems to be a mistake on passage I (from the 25 question set), questions 8 and 9. The answer explanations for the two questions is the exact, word for word, explanation as question 7. Just wondering what the right answers are.

For 8 I put D, and for 9 I got C.
8- D b/c the hawthorn projection shows the OHs pointing down for Carbons 2,3, and 4. This correlates to OHs on the right of the Fischer projection. I think this is an epimer of beta-D-glucopyranose because B-D-glucopyranose would have the carbon 3 OH pointing up (to the left). The picture is not an anomer, conformer, or enantiomer of B-D-glucopyranose.

9-C b/c the glycoside is the sugar on the right of the disaccharide (left sugar is considered a substituent on right sugar). Right sugar Hawthorn projection has OH up on Carbons 2 and 3, and OH down on Carbon 4, correlating to OH to the right on Carbon 2 and 3 and OH to the left on Carbon 4 in a Fischer projection. This is the structure of D-mannnose.

Bumping this thread. Just finished content review. Taking the real thing on Sept. 11th. Read all of the chapters then did the end-of-chapter problems/passages according to their recommendations with regard to timing.
Scores are for every problem/passage for their respective section/book. The problems in these books are really challenging -- I'm humbled by all of you guys getting such good scores in these books! :thumbup::thumbup:

Now that I'm done with content review my plan is to do the Official Guide problems, then all of the AAMC self-assessments, then the AAMC practice exams.

Any feedback? :oops:

TBR Physics I (2012):

Section I - 94%
Section II - 82%
Section III - 75%
Section IV - 69%
Section V - 64%

Total - 77%

TBR Physics II (2012)

Section VI - 82%
Section VII - 78%
Section VIII - 68%
Section IX - 81%
Section X - 63%

Total - 74%

TBR Gen Chem I (2010):

Section I - 62%
Section II - 76%
Section III - 74%
Section IV - 70%
Section V - 75%

Total - 71%

TBR Gen Chem II (2010):

Section VI - 76%
Section VII - 77%
Section VIII - 78%
Section IX - 78%
Section X - 67%

Total - 75%

TBR Orgo I (2012):

Section I - 81%
Section II - 86%
Section III - 92%
Section IV - 82%

Total - 85%

TBR Orgo II (2012):

Section V - 87%
Section VI - 66%
Section VII - 72%
Section VIII - 73%

Total - 75%

TBR Bio I (2010):

Section I - 73%
Section II - 55%
Section III - 58%
Section IV - 63%
Section V - 76%

Total - 65%

TBR Bio II (2010):

Section VI - 68%
Section VII - 66%
Section VIII - 51%
Section IX - 58%
Section X - 65%

Total - 62%

Bumping this thread. Just finished content review. Taking the real thing on Sept. 11th. Read all of the chapters then did the end-of-chapter problems/passages according to their recommendations with regard to timing.
Scores are for every problem/passage for their respective section/book. The problems in these books are really challenging -- I'm humbled by all of you guys getting such good scores in these books! :thumbup::thumbup:

Now that I'm done with content review my plan is to do the Official Guide problems, then all of the AAMC self-assessments, then the AAMC practice exams.

Any feedback?

With those passage scores, a 12 in PS should be your target. Your BS score looks like it will depend on the exam you get. If you get a test that has at least two orgo passages and some physiology, you should be up there too.

Best of luck!

I'm sure this question has been posted before but I can't seem to find it.

For Orgo ch 6 (carbohydrates), there seems to be a mistake on passage I (from the 25 question set), questions 8 and 9. The answer explanations for the two questions is the exact, word for word, explanation as question 7. Just wondering what the right answers are.

For 8 I put D, and for 9 I got C.
8- D b/c the hawthorn projection shows the OHs pointing down for Carbons 2,3, and 4. This correlates to OHs on the right of the Fischer projection. I think this is an epimer of beta-D-glucopyranose because B-D-glucopyranose would have the carbon 3 OH pointing up (to the left). The picture is not an anomer, conformer, or enantiomer of B-D-glucopyranose.

9-C b/c the glycoside is the sugar on the right of the disaccharide (left sugar is considered a substituent on right sugar). Right sugar Hawthorn projection has OH up on Carbons 2 and 3, and OH down on Carbon 4, correlating to OH to the right on Carbon 2 and 3 and OH to the left on Carbon 4 in a Fischer projection. This is the structure of D-mannnose.

Unfortunately, there were some copies printed that had the same explanation listed for questions 7, 8, and 9 (which was the explanation to 7). Before they shipped them out, they were putting an errata sheet for that page.

You have the right answers for questions 8 and 9. Your reasoning on 8 is perfect, which leads to the conclusion that it's the C-3-epimer. On question 9, as long as the disaccharide is drawn in standard format, then you can say "right and left sugars". But the glycoside is defined as the sugar that is bonding to the anomeric carbon of the other sugar, so given that it's C1 of galactose to C4 of mannose, mannose is the glycoside. You identified the OH positions on the Haworth orjections perfectly.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since we're talking about BR stuff, why not.

I have a question about Physics VIII (E&M stuff)...for the review questions, there was a passage about the two metal spheres. And question 17 asked why it was important for the rod to not touch the sphere, to which the answer was to prevent the transfer of charge.

But then question 18, the answer says that both spheres attracted charges, even though the glass rod didn't touch them? I'm slightly confused...

If anyone knows what I'm talking about feel free to explain it to me :confused:

The point of that experiment is to see the impact of induced charge. In the experiment, two equal and initially neutral spheres are placed on insulated bases near one another. When a charged rod is placed near one of them (but not between the two), it will induce a large dipole in the one it's near and a small dipole in the one that is farther away. In the experiment, a conducting rod is temporarily placed connecting the spheres, which allows charge to flow between the sphere, and thus make it so the dipole is now spread over the two sphere collectively (making one sphere negative and the other positive). When the conducting rod is removed, you've created a capacitor of sorts, where isolated negative charge is built up on one sphere and isolated positive charge on the other.

Question 17 asks why you should not let the sphere come into contact with the charged rod. If you did, then charge would flow and the get spread out between the rod and sphere uniformly, which would destroy the dipole.

Question 18 asks how the charges finish, which from rod-to-sphere-to-sphere should be either (+) -- (-) -- (+) or (-) -- (+) -- (-).

I'd like to echo a previous poster and give a shoutout to TBR for making such good books. One of the passages on my test yesterday may have well came directly from a practice passage I did from TBR, so I spent a total of 1-2 minutes on that passage (to make sure it wasn't too good to be true). I know their physics and general chemistry sections get the most SDN acclaim, but I think their organic chemistry is just as, if not more, outstanding and doesn't get enough recognition. Their biology, specifically the practice passages, make you extra sharp as well, so the real test will seem easy. All-around great set of review books, TBR.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm going to cut-n-paste your message into an email to the organic chemistry author(s). It's amazing how when just one passage seems familiar (same basic ideology or a similar picture) it can set the right mental tone and push you through the exam.

TBR Bio book 2 Section II
Phase I(pretty much took 5 passages: I,IV,VII,X,XV): 21/31=68% @ 48 minutes (yeah I know bad timing)
I hate it when I can narrow it down to 2 choices (usually 4-5 questions) and I blindly pick the wrong answer ugh could've been at a 24/31=77%
Phase II(II,V,VIII,XI(this psg killed me)): 14/26=54% (AGHH) @ 28 minutes
Aimed for 7 minutes a passage (yeah the time constraint made is so much harder)
I narrowed other 6 questions to second choices and ALL of them I put the wrong answer!
Could've 20/26=77% but noooo I just had to use my intuition and crappy luck to get the pick the wrong answer!
Well I notice that most of it is just either misreads in the Q or A, or that they were misinterpretation in an experiment or passage but once I see the answer it makes complete sense!

Oddly enough, I don't find these passages demoralizing. As it isn't 'overly hard" like the ICC TPR Bio passages; most of my wrong answers come from misread/misinterpretations/careless answer-choosing. Thing is, I have to get right and eliminate what is holding me back or it can really bite me in the arse come test day (January).

I would also like to thank TBR for its helpful set of prep books. Although I did not use it exclusively for preparation and did not follow SN2's practice problem guidelines religiously, I did use several content review chapters and a handful of questions from each book! My advice would be to do as many as you can, but make sure that low scores don't demoralize you the extent that you start losing hope and motivation. When I started my prep, I was so discouraged with my low scores on the BR passages that I began to lose my determination....it took a few weeks for me to get myself to start taking more realistic passages from the TPR Science Workbook and AAMC (in addition to just a couple BR passages per chapter). Don't be afraid to vary your prep...no one schedule works for everyone so tweaking is totally ok and needed!

Regardless, thank you TBR for your help in helping me attain my goal score!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sort of doing SN2Ed's schedule but instead of doing phases, I'm taking the 52 questions in one go in 70 minutes under test-taking conditions.

TBR Physics 1
Translational Motion -- 42/52 (80.8%)

Assuming I understand what you're doing, how are you planning to review the material later if you've already done all the questions?

I would save at least 4-5 passages for the last month before the MCAT. What I'm doing is 7-10 passages (1st and 2nd 1/3rd) and then when I start my passage drilling, I will probably do all of the passages (even the ones I already did) to reassess my weaknesses and/or lost content knowledge. I would probably break them down into two 7 passage sessions at the end.

I am just starting to study for the MCAT this May and I am using the Berkeley GChem book. I always score about 80/100, which is, according to their grade curve printed in the book, just below a 13. I just can't break the 13-15 point (over 84).

I am just starting to study for the MCAT this May and I am using the Berkeley GChem book. I always score about 80/100, which is, according to their grade curve printed in the book, just below a 13. I just can't break the 13-15 point (over 84).

You're doing a bit better than I am, but I'm in the same boat. Can't quite break a 75% after the first 6 GChem chapters :( Bleh.

I'd like to give a specific shout-out to TBR; an aspect of which many have neglected to mention. Hopefully, this helps future MCAT victims who may be interested in knowing more about the TBR style:

Is TBR dense? Yes. Do the practice passages, at times, make you fidget in your seat? Of course. Is it providing you with approximately 1,000 passage-based questions per subject? Oh yeah... But, beyond all of these amazingly helpful merits, the beauty of TBR is that the practice passages seem to be written in a way that helps to reinforce the concepts. Reading 15 passages worth of, "Pressure is directly proportional to change in volume," or "Boyle's Law states that pressure and volume..." drills these concepts home. Frankly, after having done 600 GChem questions, and reading their corresponding set-ups, I feel like my GChem knowledge base is evolving from frantic/non-confident recall to a relaxed intuition. And frankly? PS has always been my weakest section. So, I'm really excited to see where my practice scores end up when I begin testing again in 6 weeks.

BeachBlondie, your comments are so sweet. I have always tried to maintain a professional demeanor here, but sometimes something is really moving. At the end of the day, this is just a job, but you can't help but take pride in something you are a part of. What you wrote is what I believe every teacher and author I've worked with is hoping happens. Your kind words are fuel for our souls. Wishing you the best of success through this entire crazy process!

I've been doing a lot of these. Berkeley review really is very comprehensive. I am using them for chem/orgo/physics and EK for biology. I can see why people say the biology is too detailed; it often is, and when you do the passages using other review sources you are probably at a disadvantage, but the passages are pure quality overall. My scores tend to be a bit erratic depending on how tired I am and how lazy too.

Orgo

Ch. 1:
Phase 1: 11
Phase 2: 11

Ch. 2:
Phase 1: 13
Phase 2: 10

Ch.3:
Phase 1: 14

Physics

Ch. 1: (Love kinematics)
Phase 2: 14

Ch. 2:
Phase 2: 12

Ch. 3:

Chem

Ch. 1:

Ch. 2:

Ch. 3: (Equlibrium was tough because I am bad at approximating the math)

Bio (So hard) - EK chapters corresponding passages

Ch. 1:
1/3: 6 (lol...)
2/3: 9

Ch. 6:
1/3: 10
2/3: 10

Also, I know this has been discussed but anyone want to comment how accurate the passages are compared to the real MCAT in terms of difficulty?

I've been doing a lot of these. Berkeley review really is very comprehensive. I am using them for chem/orgo/physics and EK for biology. I can see why people say the biology is too detailed; it often is, and when you do the passages using other review sources you are probably at a disadvantage, but the passages are pure quality overall. My scores tend to be a bit erratic depending on how tired I am and how lazy too.

Orgo

Ch. 1:

Ch. 2:

Ch.3:

Physics

Ch. 1: (Love kinematics)

Ch. 2:

Ch. 3:

Chem

Ch. 1:

Ch. 2:

Ch. 3: (Equlibrium was tough because I am bad at approximating the math)

Bio (So hard) - EK chapters corresponding passages

Ch. 1:
1/3: 6 (lol...)
2/3: 9

Ch. 6:
1/3: 10
2/3: 10

Also, I know this has been discussed but anyone want to comment how accurate the passages are compared to the real MCAT in terms of difficulty?

How are you giving yourself specific scaled scores when BR designates a raw score range as "13-15" or 10-12" ?

How are you giving yourself specific scaled scores when BR designates a raw score range as "13-15" or 10-12" ?
It's just estimation to make record keeping easier and calculate averages later on.

For example in Orgo 84-100 is 13-15. So around 84-92 is 13, and 92-99 is 14. I only give a 15 if I get everything right. But simply put, it is approximation.

It's just estimation to make record keeping easier and calculate averages later on.

For example in Orgo 84-100 is 13-15. So around 84-92 is 13, and 92-99 is 14. I only give a 15 if I get everything right. But simply put, it is approximation.

That seems right, although I'd make a 15 98-100, because there are always a couple doozies.

So I'm still struggling with TBR physics. I just finished Physics 1 and on last 2 chapters I got 17 wrong on both 52 question tests. It's strange b/c I felt I had a much better grasp on the content for chapter 5 than chapter 4 but I got same # wrong. I am average between 1-3 wrong per passage/set of discretes. I have also just begun a TPRH online course. I plan on integrating both resources. Any feedback on my TBR score plateau would be really helpful.

Hey guys, this has probably been asked before but how big of a difference is there between TBR editions? I currently have access to 2010 gchem, 2011 bio, 2012 ochem, physics, and verbal (borrowing them from my girlfriend who took it last year). Will the 2013 editions show a noticeable improvement in terms of content or strategy given? I want to give myself the best chance for my upcoming test, but $300 is a lot of money to waste if they're like college textbooks where they add some new pictures and move some stuff around and call it a new edition.

As a person who finished doing all TBR passages, let me tell you... dont worry too much about timing.
Their questions take much longer than the ones from AAMC FLs.

Remember that TBR is for CONTENT REVIEW.
As long as you do not get a very low score on those passages, dont worry too much about it as well.

Take AAMC FLs to see where you really are.

REMEMBER that you do not even need to know much for MCAT.

As a person who finished doing all TBR passages, let me tell you... dont worry too much about timing.
Their questions take much longer than the ones from AAMC FLs.

Remember that TBR is for CONTENT REVIEW.
As long as you do not get a very low score on those passages, dont worry too much about it as well.

Take AAMC FLs to see where you really are.

REMEMBER that you do not even need to know much for MCAT.

I've only taken 3R, but I memorized most of the equations and tricks they gave in the Physics books and it saved me a bunch of time. A passage would give me an equation and I'd already know it and how to manipulate it.

I'm not a big fan of Chapter 7 in Physics on Density/Buoyancy though, I don't know if it's me but I still can't fully understand everything. Everything else I've been missing 1-2 questions per passage and scoring 11/12s on the 52 question tests.

Overall BK's really helped me in Physics, I just need to stop making stupid mistakes and go over everything one last time.

Do people who have already taken the real mcat see that their average TBR section score is higher or lower than what you got on real thing?

I've only taken 3R, but I memorized most of the equations and tricks they gave in the Physics books and it saved me a bunch of time. A passage would give me an equation and I'd already know it and how to manipulate it.

I'm not a big fan of Chapter 7 in Physics on Density/Buoyancy though, I don't know if it's me but I still can't fully understand everything. Everything else I've been missing 1-2 questions per passage and scoring 11/12s on the 52 question tests.

Overall BK's really helped me in Physics, I just need to stop making stupid mistakes and go over everything one last time.
I can't understand that chapter either!

Do people who have already taken the real mcat see that their average TBR section score is higher or lower than what you got on real thing?

It's a pain to sift through the pages in this thread, but if you do, you'll find a few people who posted their running sectional scores and MCAT scores. Generally, it looks like people in this thread have done a little better (maybe by a point or so) on their PS section than their average physics and general chemistry scores. BS scores have also been a little higher, but with a bigger range it seems.

I am having a tough time with the Fluid chapter in BR physics (2009 edition)... Usually score 70%+ in Phase I... I only got 12/21 in phase I for that chapter. I got 2/7 right in one passge (Liquid Flow Rate--passage 3)... Do you guys know any other resources that explain fluid mechanics better than BR?

I am having a tough time with the Fluid chapter in BR physics (2009 edition)... Usually score 70%+ in Phase I... I only got 12/21 in phase I for that chapter. I got 2/7 right in one passge (Liquid Flow Rate--passage 3)... Do you guys know any other resources that explain fluid mechanics better than BR?

Ahaha, I'm having trouble with that section too

Did you figure out what you're going to use instead? I have Examkrackers, so I think I might look over that
I have EK and Nova physics... I will go back over that chapter again (and the heat chapter in EK gen chem) after I am done with content review...

I have EK and Nova physics... I will go back over that chapter again (and the heat chapter in EK gen chem) after I am done with content review...

I just went over the fluids section in EK and I thought it was more comprehensible than TBR's. I'll go over the Berkeley questions for it tomorrow though

Is there a way to search this thread for responses about verbal reasoning only? There use to be. (32 pages is a lot to go through just to look for that.)

TBR Verbal - diagnostic tests (as opposed to the non-diagnostic tests which are listed first in the book)

My score summary (so far)
Test 2: Yay! Only got 10 wrong and finished on time.
Test 3 Yak! Got a bunch wrong and didn't finish on time at all.
TBC

TYPO: Same passage twice!

Just noticed in The Berkeley Review Verbal Reasoning Book (copyright 2009), the same passage is listed on page 332 and page 390. The table of contents says the passage on page 332 is about immigration, but it's not. It's the same as the passage on page 390. (Worded carefully to avoid spoilers.)

Oh man..... I heard that Bio had a reputation, but this is kicking my hindquarters!

60-65%, consistently. Ouch!

Seems pretty critical thinking heavy; thinking this might be reflective of the current MCAT as I've heard that the BS section requires very little straight recall.

Oh man..... I heard that Bio had a reputation, but this is kicking my hindquarters!

60-65%, consistently. Ouch!

Seems pretty critical thinking heavy; thinking this might be reflective of the current MCAT as I've heard that the BS section requires very little straight recall.

The problem that I saw with BR bio is that if you didn't read BR bio content review, a lot of the questions are WAY out of the scope of the exam. I'm not talking about critical thinking. I mean like they have you memorize certain facts, and then if you didn't memorize them, you won't be able
To answer the questions.

The problem that I saw with BR bio is that if you didn't read BR bio content review, a lot of the questions are WAY out of the scope of the exam. I'm not talking about critical thinking. I mean like they have you memorize certain facts, and then if you didn't memorize them, you won't be able
To answer the questions.

Definitely noticed that, as well. Minutiae.

If any of those come up as discretes, I can only hope that I'll remember them! Ha!

Definitely noticed that, as well. Minutiae.

If any of those come up as discretes, I can only hope that I'll remember them! Ha!

Exactly. Personally I think TPRH science workbook is way better. I haven't seen much of the small detail things come up yet. If it is details they are asking for, it can be found in the passage somehow.

What's the best way to prepare for the experimental bio passages? Also, anyone like the BR physics passages better than TPRH. I sometimes do better on BR than TPRH. Personally, I think BR balances calc. based questions and concept based questions better. however, there was this one passage in ch 1 of gen chem that was literally 8 calc questions on stoichiometry and limting reagent, etc, so there was no way i was able to finish all the problems in time. very frustrating.

Also, how does the real test compare to TBR in terms of balancing calc questions with concept questions. Is the real test more concept based than calc based. I find I do way better with concept questions in general