Best ABFAS Study Resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quarterpenny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just wondering what everyone used to prepare for ABFAS boards? Any suggestions on what strategies/resources work best? I'd appreciate any advice

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing - saw an ad for board wizards on this site. Is it any good? Also, looking at their website, board wizards has A and B but it doesn’t say if that corresponds to part 1 and part 2 or not.

I used what was provided for us from residency. I forget the name of the company.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied like crazy for all my boards. With exception of boards part 1 and 2 as a student (not ABFAS) It did nothing for me as everything I read up on didnt really show up on boards. I think I went thru all the goldfarb lectures 2-3 times in detail and a boards packet that is floating around out there from the midwest podiatry conference.

Pick something and stick with it but in the end boards is general knowledge you have picked up over the years.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any updated resources/tips for studying for ABFAS? Would like to pass my first real attempt.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
It has been said before, but I agree. Unfortunately, not all residencies are created equal, but if you have a decent foundation that should take care of the "big stuff." I mainly used Board Wizards, because it helped point out what to expect the focus of the test to be on. This allows you to not spend hours on random topics that are not high yield. I also thought the cases were helpful to learn the drop-down options and what they are looking for you to "check off." I would recommend brushing up with McGlamry's if you find any areas you seem weak in before the test. Good Luck

Reactions: 1 users
It depends what part of ABFAS you are talking about... written is mostly stuff you already learned if you studied hard in school + residency, and CBPS is mostly knowing the options and format.

Didactics multi choice BQ stuff:
-Pod school, residency interview, residency academics info already learned.
-ACFAS lectures and JFAS journal.
-major textbooks (McGlam, Coughlin, Myerson, Easley, etc)
-PI manual
-the practice tests on ABFAS itself and BoardWizards

CBPS for BQ:
-same as above
-Board Wizards and ABFAS itself practice CBPS cases (go over the lists of choices many times, print them, search around in them, etc)

BC Case review (these are jokes... maybe):
-take better care of your notes than your patients
-replace any long screws even if it means losing fixation strength
-never document any edema or pain after a month or two post op in case the patient does not f/u anymore
-always remember that clinical outcomes matter little... it's all about chart and radiographic perfection since it's not f2f
-don't do MIS or dynamic fixation or anything outside the norm because "standard of care" will often mean only most common type of fixation/proc for the pathology to a random reviewer who typically trained years prior
-commit HIPAA violations to take patient notes, XR screenshots, hospital op records, etc if you need to ever leave a job while BQ

Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
It depends what part of ABFAS you are talking about... written is mostly stuff you already learned if you studied hard in school + residency, and CBPS is mostly knowing the options and format.

Didactics multi choice BQ stuff:
-Pod school, residency interview, residency academics info already learned.
-ACFAS lectures and JFAS journal.
-major textbooks (McGlam, Coughlin, Myerson, Easley, etc)
-PI manual
-the practice tests on ABFAS itself and BoardWizards

CBPS for BQ:
-same as above
-Board Wizards and ABFAS itself practice CBPS cases (go over the lists of choices many times, print them, search around in them, etc)

BC Case review (these are jokes... maybe):
-take better care of your notes than your patients
-replace any long screws even if it means losing fixation strength
-never document any edema or pain after a month or two post op in case the patient does not f/u anymore
-always remember that clinical outcomes matter little... it's all about chart and radiographic perfection since it's not f2f
-don't do MIS or dynamic fixation or anything outside the norm because "standard of care" will often mean only most common type of fixation/proc for the pathology to a random reviewer who typically trained years prior
-commit HIPAA violations to take patient notes, XR screenshots, hospital op records, etc if you need to ever leave a job while BQ

Good luck.
Can confirm that screw lengths will result in failure despite outcomes. Telling the truth about mild swelling or soreness will also result in case failure. You can fail on cases where patients are completely satisfied with outcomes and have no pain, swelling, or physical limitations. Combine a couple of those based on the cases they pull and see you next year $$$.

my two cents…

Your resources should be broad/varied to prevent bias of authors (school notes regional bias, PI resources are regional, and handbook has bias).

Ideally you should have a solid base already and only need to brush up on the finer details. Some ideas below.

Peds- order of Ponseti correction (think when order of casting and when to do TAL), difference radiographically between vertical talus/club foot, Cincinnati incision work. Which bone tumor is made better with nsaids, osteo chondroma

Biomechanics- cavus work up (think academic like Coleman’s block test), flat foot work up (think heel rise, resting Calcaneal stance, forefoot varus rigidity)

Trauma- work up (golden time periods, abx for open fx, compartment pressures) reduction principles, less classification more cya scenarios.

Bunion- live by the rule that everyone should have three ways to fix a bunion despite whatever regional training you received ( head osteotomy, base/shaft, fusion)

Flatfoot- see biomechanics, remember peroneal spasms, sinus tarsi pain, remember both joint sparing and fusion despite what training you received

Cavus- see biomechanics, less transverse closing wedge osteotomy and more elevating metatarsal/heel osteotomy versus triple

Remember how to take a test… find “Adam smashers” method on completion of patient cases. Also there are many “correct” ways to do things but there are always wrong ways….hence lots of negative formats.

Note…contrary to what some other posters may say, the test is fair. You just need to have a broad knowledge and need to understand how to take the test. Use the practice exams to your advantage.

A well rounded residency should have prepared you to take the exam. This is where well rounded shines. Doing 10000 lapidus, ankle fx, and triples in your residency makes you hella confident/comfortable/efficient but may be less advantageous for this exam.

Edit: case review can be a different beast…keep great records/over document/ get lots of films all weight bearing. Get calc axial after heel osteotomy. Get hind foot alignment for cavus/flat foot. Document the biomechanics stated above. Have a thorough documentation of consent. Ask document dvt/pe hx, anesthesia history (think MH rule out). If you document swelling that osteotomy/fusion better be rock solid on X-rays or you are opening yourself up to non-union thoughts

Last edited:
Remember how to take a test… find “Adam smashers” method on completion of patient cases.
Funny how the most important thing I'll ever write was on an anonymous message board 6 years ago

Foot and ankle reconstruction by Mark Myerson is an easy and quick read for review.

After this is go to clinics in podiatry and JFAS and read their review articles for some of the topics listed above. I recommend just looking over their last three years of current concepts/review articles as there is a lot of repetition.

That combined with your residency and school training should be sufficient to pass ABFAS.

Reactions: 1 user