Best AEGD Programs for Implant/Prosth Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strazzel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- I'm a 3rd year dental student starting to look into residency programs. Currently, I am deciding between specializing in Prosthodontics or going the AEGD route. I am leaning towards being very selective of the Prosthodontic programs I would attend which obviously would lower my chances of getting accepted to one of them. Therefore, I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for the best AEGD programs that tend to be heavier in implant/prosth cases. I know that the VA hospitals are well regarded in this area, but I wanted to find a few more since the majority of these programs are non-match and my top choice is a match program. I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had a couple of other good match programs to apply to as a fall back option in case I really love my first choice and don't want to withdraw from match to accept one of the other programs.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are you basing your selection of pros programs on?

I've heard good things about the Orlando VA AEGD. The program director is a prosthodontist.

What are you basing your selection of pros programs on?

I've heard good things about the Orlando VA AEGD. The program director is a prosthodontist.

I'm mainly looking for a program with a clinical focus that is affordable. I have a lot of student debt already and will be practicing in an area that won't make money a good reason to go into pros, so as much as I would love to do it I can't afford to make a large financial investment in addition to the extra time. I also would prefer a program that doesn't require a masters. I don't mind doing some research or literature reviews at all- but I would prefer to focus on the clinical experience treating patients to doing a thesis or taking microbiology classes.

I'll give Orlando VA another look. The VA programs honestly all sound great but the problem I am running into is that so many are non-match and my current top choice for AEGD is a match program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want prosth experience from GPR/AEGD, definitely look into VA programs. Many of them are also match. VA San Diego, Brooklyn, Bronx, Denver, San Francisco, Long beach...I think these are all pretty good programs. I do believe VA San Antonio is non-match.

out of curiosity, why are you so focused on a Match program? Getting good residency info is so hard man, it requires a lot of leg work, track some residents and ask them.. You can use search function here for a specific program, find someone that mentioned the program (ie. they are there / went there) and hit them up and ask them about it. You can reach out to program directors and introduce yourself / ask about their program / ask for contact info for their residents and ask them... some times reaching out to these residents results in a lot of info and they are really open to talking about it with you but often if the resident is currently in the program - they may not even answer you.. On spring breaks, summer breaks etc.. dont go on vacay, go visit residencies - nothing beats actually seeing the program.. or combine your site visit with your vacay ;)

Current PGY-1 at A.T Still University in Mesa, AZ. I've restored at least 25 arches of removable, tons of crowns, placed ~20 implants, restored implant overdentures, can be prosth heavy if you want. Our associate director is an amazing and very knowledgeable prosthodontist. Roseman in Utah has about 3-4 residents and does All-On-Four cases.

Reactions: 1 users
I used to be affiliated with the AEGD program at A.T. Still, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your question. They've got great faculty, and do some really interesting cases. Still a bit of a "dental school" environment (other than the obvious fact that it is at the dental school, haha), but you definitely get some great specialty experience - highly recommend if that's what you're looking for, and the Phoenix metro area is pretty nice and relatively inexpensive.

Current PGY-1 at A.T Still University in Mesa, AZ. I've restored at least 25 arches of removable, tons of crowns, placed ~20 implants, restored implant overdentures, can be prosth heavy if you want. Our associate director is an amazing and very knowledgeable prosthodontist. Roseman in Utah has about 3-4 residents and does All-On-Four cases.

Thanks for the recommendation - I ended up submitting an application to the program.

How much Pedo is at the NYU ASDOH phoenix program?