Best Anatomy Book for USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the best anatomy book for studying USMLE?

Members don't see this ad.

watermen said:
Does anyone know what is the best anatomy book for studying USMLE?

I didn't come across any great anatomy book specifically for USMLE, but then again, there is not that much anatomy on step 1. It's a hard one to study for because they could ask literally anything and it's just not worth the time to spend much time on anatomy. So I used First Aid for Step 1 and High-Yield anatomy. I thought it was enough. The one topic that seems to come up on almost every test is some sort of brachial plexus question, so that's a good topic to know well.

Use High yield gross or USMLE Road Map Gross anatomy. The latter is more thorough and has excellent clinical correlations scattered throughout. I agree with above poster - sort of a hard one to study for - but lucily a low-yield topic so don't waste time on this. Just know all the nerve stuff (brachial plexus and lower extremity nerves).

Here are the anatomy books for year I/II - http://www.gotmedbooks.com/findbooks.php?action=list&searchtype=browse&category=10

good luck,

viper said:
Use High yield gross or USMLE Road Map Gross anatomy. The latter is more thorough and has excellent clinical correlations scattered throughout. I agree with above poster - sort of a hard one to study for - but lucily a low-yield topic so don't waste time on this. Just know all the nerve stuff (brachial plexus and lower extremity nerves).

Here are the anatomy books for year I/II - http://www.gotmedbooks.com/findbooks.php?action=list&searchtype=browse&category=10

good luck,

Viper, when are you going to include Step 2 and clinical books?

Members don't see this ad :)
first aid was adequate for anatomy for the questions on my exam.

For the ppl that took the step 1.....Did you guys think kaplan was good enough for anatomy, neuro, embrology, and histology? Or do you HAVE to read HY for any of those topics.

It seems like HYs are more popular among SDN testtakers than kaplan, but I don't understand why. Is it because kaplan is too much or too little.

Thanks

FA really is quite weak when it comes to anatomy. I used High Yield in addition to FA and did just fine. As was said previously this is a low yield subject. So much of the test is made up of path and pathophys.