Best Anatomy Books or Atlases and Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post what you think are the best anatomy books and/or atlases and why?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

My vote is for Rohen's picture atlas, hands down. It's the real deal, so you are able to better recognize structures for lab exams, and when disecting it shows you that the nerve is actually a tiny stringy structure, not the big yellow rope that Netter may show it as...
smile.gif

take it easy

homonculus

Atlas - can't beat Rohen and Yakoshi. Beautiful pictures. I also used Netter in lab (didn't want the Rohen to get sticky).

Text: Moore's Clinical Anatomy. Lots of clinically relevant stuff. Use Ridiculously Simple for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rohen-For the Practical tests
Netter- For all other

------------------
~Pegasus~

OH, I forgot....CHUNG's Board Review Series. It is AWESOME!! Saved me in Head/Neck and it has great quizes at the end of each section.

------------------
~Pegasus~

One Anatomy Atlas that's kinda hard to find but so incredibly helpful is Melloni's Student Anatomy Atlas (I was able to find it used online, but Amazon was saying 3-5 weeks for new, which could mean never...). It's a combined atlas and origin, insertion, innervation & irrigation chart: so if you look in the nerve section for radial nerve, it gives you all the information on one page, and then illustrates the entire nerve (or muscle, artery, vein, or bone) on the facing page. It's great for those Netter moments when you look at the plate and think, where in the hell does that artery go after it dives behind the medial intermuscular septum? Of course, Netter is indispensible, and Rohen and Yokochi's Book of Horrors is great for those times when you just can't face any more body juice in the lab again.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fiatslug:
Rohen and Yokochi's Book of Horrors is great for those times when you just can't face any more body juice in the lab again.

Tee hee...its great for scaring your non-med friends isn't it?!
wink.gif

Clemente has great discriptions, and the pictures are workable

ohmygosh. not enuf emphasis on netter in this thread. ya gotta get netter. it's #1. all the other books noted above are great 2nd texts to own. i don't think rohen has enough plates/views for you to learn anatomy using *only* this book. but rohen is great when your tired of going to the gross lab.

btw, i suggest that you hold off on getting an anatomy atlas until you find out what your school uses. your professors will probably have a preference, and you'll probably find it easier to use the text from which they teach.

good luck.

OK - having just finished anatomy, here's my list. I made it through gross anatomy with a Big Moore and a Netter. BUT at the very end of the course, there were two books I really wished I had had all along. Buy that Rohen and Yoguchi atlas! It will save you hours in lab. Plus, if your professors are anything like ours - they'll go in right before the practical, do their own dissecting and find things you've never heard of let alone found on your cadaver... Also - for review: I like Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple - does a really good job at simplifiying some things that are relationally complex. Good luck!