Best Ani Sci/An Bio Undergrad Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

becculb2018

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For undergrad I'm planning on applying some An Sci and some An Bio/Zoology! Here are the schools I'm looking at:
Cal Poly SLO
UC Davis
UC Santa Barbara
Cal Poly Pomona
U Wisconsin
U Connecticut
Clemson
Ohio State
U Massachusetts
Penn State
NC State
University of Minnesota

If you know anything that you think would be helpful in narrowing down these schools, please share! I would especially love input of people who have attended or are currently attending any of these schools!
 
Agreed on the cheapest school. Thats whats going to matter in the end is saving money and getting good grades regardless of the "caliber" of the school. I went to Iowa State University studying Animal Science and absolutely loved it. But it did cost me ( I was a CA resident). Loved the experience but especially with vet school, I kind of wish I had saved money during undergrad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Echoing the sentiments above. I went to the local cal state university out of high school where basically everyone went and was told I could "do better" by going to a more prestigious university....but by opting for said school I qualified for full financial coverage through pell grants. If I were to get into vet school this cycle (fingers crossed!) I'll be going into it with zero debt which I think will carry more weight on my future than the prestige of any undergrad institution. Unless you're being offered the opportunity to pioneer some sort of ground breaking research at some specific school of course 😉
 
Agreed. Cheapest school. Especially if you're going to have to take out loans to fund it. If vet school is the goal, you'll want to do whatever possible to minimize your undergrad debt. Trust me personally on that one; the ~$45k in loans I used for my five years of undergrad are most probably changing my future financial situation from one that would have actually been semi-manageable provided that I find a decently paying job into one that is considerably less so.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the cheapest school with the cheapest cost of living. You will not regret that decision (I sure haven't!).
 
I agree with the idea of a cheaper school, but it also depends on where you feel comfortable. You don't want to be miserable in a certain location or school for 4 years just for the sake of the money. (Or maybe you're okay with that if it's all in regards to money, some people are willing to make that sacrifice) For this reason, I would suggest visiting the schools that you are interested in and imagine yourself there as a student.

Personally, my in state schools just didn't really click with me. I would have been majoring in biology or chemistry (which is fine for veterinary school applications by the way as long as you meet the pre-requisite course requirements), and would have been one of the few people at the school even considering veterinary medicine. Then I toured the University of Delaware. I felt at home here and something clicked, there was an added plus that they offer a Pre-Veterinary major that is geared toward preparing you for vet school and making you take the necessary classes. A bonus was that I got a scholarship so it wasn't much more expensive than if I went to an in state school for undergrad. Since there is a pre-vet major, there are many students all in it together when it comes to application stress and there are professors who know how to guide you. So overall, I'm happy with my decision. It's up to you to find the best choice for yourself because nobody knows you better than you do!
 
Pick a place you want to live if money is no issue. Or if money is an issue and you want to live in a different state, look up residency requirements, move there and get a job or something and then start school once you can get in-state rate. Might set you back a little bit of time, but for me it was worth it because I got to live in a brand new state and it was where I wanted to be.

No rush 😀.
 
Cheapest and where you'll feel the most comfortable. And the cheapest may not be your in-state; I went to Minnesota for undergrad (and majored in AnSci) and it was substantially less expensive for me than some of my other options because of the financial aid/scholarships I got, even though I was a New York resident. The feel of the campus is important too; you may love being in a city on a huge campus with thousands of people, or you may not. Visiting schools will help you figure out what clicks for you, if you're able to do that.
 
I have absolutely loved animal science at Ohio State. I'm currently a senior and just applied to vet school. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
 
Cheaper would definitely be a priority, but if it is doable, applying to undergrad where you want to go to vet school <might> be helpful. If they have a hospital you can volunteer at, you could make some useful relationships. I volunteered at our teaching hospital in canine rehab for ... 2-3 years, I guess? ... and was able to get a great recommendation out of it. And was already really familiar with the teaching hospital before getting into vet school. Plus you know the area, already have a feel for getting around, restaurants, fun things to do, etc.

Not a big factor, by any stretch, but something to think so.
 
I agree with going to the cheapest! If you are a California resident, I'd like to mention though that UC Davis has a lot of financial aid for students! I currently go to UC Davis and I will be graduating with no debt. My other choice for undergrad had been Cal Poly, but if I went there I would have had to get several thousands in loans each year.

Don't only look into costs, but also look at the amount of scholarships, grants, and other financial aid that each college provides!
 
I definitely would choose the cheapest option but you have to make sure you like the program as well and feel comfortable in the atmosphere. Luckily UMass Amherst was my instate and close enough for me to stay home and go to school so I graduated with zero debt. If you have questions about UMass feel free to message me!
 
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Cheapest is probably your best option. I just graduated from UCONN, which was my IS, and absolutely loved it. Feel free to message me if you want any specifics about their program and classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad