Best board review resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamaupin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening!
I was hoping, if some of you have a moment, to reply to this and give me your opinion about the best books/websites/Qbanks for board review. I am studying hard but hoping I am not missing anything. :)
Thank you for your consideration, and have a great night.

Members don't see this ad.

I used Psychiatry Genius and Beat the Boards, and felt Psych G was better. I also reviewed text books and that was good too but can be cumbersome. Just review Psychiatry K&S book, get the Psych Genius QBank they have the most questions anyways it will keep you busy, and get lots of sleep.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used TONS. But I had to take it three times. I used Beat the Boards, Board Vitals, Spiegel and tons of question books and I would suggest knowing the material cold and doing as many practice questions as possible. I also used the DSM 5 for the most likely cooccurring disorders , genetics etc.

I'm just going to wing it. I don't care if i pass, I still have a job and I know I'm a good Psychiatrist based on my feedback during residency as well as the feedback I get from my patients.

I used TONS. But I had to take it three times. I used Beat the Boards, Board Vitals, Spiegel and tons of question books and I would suggest knowing the material cold and doing as many practice questions as possible. I also used the DSM 5 for the most likely cooccurring disorders , genetics etc.

How did you do on your step1.2.3? Did u always struggle with exams?

Are you a bad test taker? Or maybe you have a lot of anxiety. That's a lot of work to be doing for one test. Even for my USMLE, I only did a question bank and DIT.

I was reading through your posts, maybe you did not take a break for cigarette during the exam? I feel it helps with calming before big exams.

I’m using Beat the Boards and supplementing with textbooks, question books, etc. as needed. I’ve been pretty happy with Beat the Boards, but at full price it’s not worth it. If you can get in on a group discount and get it for 50% off the list price, I think it’s worthwhile. The lectures are just ok, but I like having the rigid structure to use as a framework for studying.

Are you a bad test taker? Or maybe you have a lot of anxiety. That's a lot of work to be doing for one test. Even for my USMLE, I only did a question bank and DIT.

I was reading through your posts, maybe you did not take a break for cigarette during the exam? I feel it helps with calming before big exams.
I have ADHD (untreated) and anxiety. I barely studied for the COMLEX and passed all of them (barely). I really don't like psych, so that makes it difficult and I thought the exam questions particularly the vignettes were tricky and I am my own worst enemy, changing answers for no reason. Glad it's over.

How did you do on your step1.2.3? Did u always struggle with exams?
I didn't really study for any of them and passed first time on each (barely). It's done and over, glad.

I have ADHD (untreated) and anxiety. I barely studied for the COMLEX and passed all of them (barely). I really don't like psych, so that makes it difficult and I thought the exam questions particularly the vignettes were tricky and I am my own worst enemy, changing answers for no reason. Glad it's over.

I get the anxiety part, I feel like I've had so much anxiety about tests ever since I was younger. what makes it even more horrible is that whenever I switch answers its usually because I switch it to the right answer ! :(

Reactions: 1 user
So, I am only doing Speigel....should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys using for the Vignettes and what strategy do you recommend for it?

Thanks

What are you guys using for the Vignettes and what strategy do you recommend for it?

Thanks
I bought the psychiatry genius vignettes. They have 60 or so blocks but not all have videos. Spiegel has some too. I’d be curious to hear what people thought of them compared to the real thing!

I bought the psychiatry genius vignettes. They have 60 or so blocks but not all have videos. Spiegel has some too. I’d be curious to hear what people thought of them compared to the real thing!
I thought Psych Genius content for vignettes was close to my actual board exam. Spiegel was so-so.

I thought Psych Genius content for vignettes was close to my actual board exam. Spiegel was so-so.

lol, guys I'm getting creamed on the Psych Genius vignettes. I was getting 70% of BTB correct and had confidence, but now I'm getting like less than 50% correct on Psych Genius vignettes. panicking lol

maybe my technique to how im watching the videos is off? do u guys watch the video before even reading the first question? take notes, etc? english is not my first language but I've never had any issues before in real life

Currently trying to decide on addition questions. So far I've done Kenny and Spiegal, APA Board review questions and am currently watching beat the board videos. I don't find the questions on beat the boards that helpful. I was looking at psych genius and board vitals. Was going to get vignettes and questions. Maybe mixing and matching such as board vitals for questions and psych genius for vignettes? Any thoughts on the two?

Anyone want to study together by any chance via skype or something? I'm trying to do as much as I can in this last month but am easily losing focus. I don't really have a game plan for how to study.

finished questions on BTB with 62% overall correct, is that a good average or not. Currently working on questions in spiegel/kenny

Gosh I'm feeling so overwhelmed with all the things I don't know. Is there like a review powerpoint with all the high yield info somewhere? i used to have those for my USMLE's lol.

Does anyone know how much neurology is on the boards? the ABPN site says only 4-6% but I thought it was traditionally ~30%....