Best Book to survive internship!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

driverabu

www.riograndband.com
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all my wise SDN buddies, I would appreciate ya'lls input as to which book is the best to survive intern year. I know a lot depends on personal taste and all that, but if we could only read 1 book prior to and during our intern year, which one would it be? Thanks!

nervous intern to be!

Members don't see this ad.

driverabu said:
Hey all my wise SDN buddies, I would appreciate ya'lls input as to which book is the best to survive intern year. I know a lot depends on personal taste and all that, but if we could only read 1 book prior to and during our intern year, which one would it be? Thanks!

nervous intern to be!
the washington manual intern survival guide (or so i've been told). planning on picking it up myself

driverabu said:

nervous intern to be!

are you doing a med prelim year?

For the ICU I recommend pharmacopeia Internal Med & Critical (green little book). I used it and I really liked it.

Members don't see this ad :)
toughlife said:
are you doing a med prelim year?

For the ICU I recommend pharmacopeia Internal Med & Critical (green little book). I used it and I really liked it.

Mostly med....I matched into a categorical spot with mostly medicine rotations...thanks! and thanks to you also 007!

Try "On Call: Principles and Protocols" by Marshall and Ruedy.

This book is excellent. I used it during my entire intership. I also looked at the Washington Manual, but it doesn't even compare to "On Call". You should really check it out.

FlindersGrad said:
Try "On Call: Principles and Protocols" by Marshall and Ruedy.

This book is excellent. I used it during my entire intership. I also looked at the Washington Manual, but it doesn't even compare to "On Call". You should really check it out.
question..

i noticed that it's a Canadian Book. Are you a resident in the US? Just curious, because I woudl think that there woudl be some differences in the American and Canadian systems in terms of what to do? Is there?

How does On Call: Principles and Protocols" by Marshall and Ruedy compare to Internal Medicine On Call by Steven A. Haist, et al?

Thanks.

ThinkFast007 said:
question..

i noticed that it's a Canadian Book. Are you a resident in the US? Just curious, because I woudl think that there woudl be some differences in the American and Canadian systems in terms of what to do? Is there?

You're right. It is a Canadian book. It is very widely used throughout many commonwealth countries. I'm not a Canadian resident....I'm a US resident.

The book is still very relevent. Canadian, US, UK, etc....there is a general concensus on how to treat chest pain, decreased urine output, AF, hypertension, etc (The problems you will certainly receive during call). Besides, no book is going to be perfect. All hospitals have in-house protocols for how things should be handled. So, you will have to edit any book you buy to fit different protocols.

It is worth a look....believe me. I think you will like it!

FlindersGrad said:
You're right. It is a Canadian book. It is very widely used throughout many commonwealth countries. I'm not a Canadian resident....I'm a US resident.

The book is still very relevent. Canadian, US, UK, etc....there is a general concensus on how to treat chest pain, decreased urine output, AF, hypertension, etc (The problems you will certainly receive during call). Besides, no book is going to be perfect. All hospitals have in-house protocols for how things should be handled. So, you will have to edit any book you buy to fit different protocols.

I agree. On call was a good read right before internship. Kinda sums up in concise work-ups/thought process alot of what you already know, but its good to read before you start making decisions on your own. It handles all the basic stuff you will get called about pretty well, just dont expect to learn alot of new material.

vegas said:
How does On Call: Principles and Protocols" by Marshall and Ruedy compare to Internal Medicine On Call by Steven A. Haist, et al?

Thanks.

I have never used "Internal Medicine On Call". I just looked it up on Amazon. It has good chapter headings, and it seems to cover all the basics. I don't know how well all of the information is organized, though.

That's what I really like about "On Call Principles and Protocols". The information is well organized. Example: It starts presenting the information from the moment you get the call.
1. Questions to ask the nurse while on the phone.
2. What to inform the nurse of/ orders while you're on your way to the patient.
3. Elevator thoughts (Quick read of differentials, etc)
4. Major threats to life
5. Bedside (important history and PE tips)
6. Management

It presents a good approach to dealing with many issues while on call.

FlindersGrad said:

cool thanks!

I actually just took a look at it. It looks very similar to "washington man internship guide' interms of it's lay out. The dude at the bookstore said it's definitely becoming a more popular series now.

appreciate the head ups man :thumbup: or gal (whatever you are :laugh: )