Best Books for Step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that Step I is over, what does everyone recommend for reading material? Kaplan, First Aid, High Yield, Robbins, BRS....a mix of everything?? Any info would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend Kaplan's home study program, BRS Path, and BRS Phys. I didn't do First Aid, so I can't vouch for it. I hear it's pretty high yield though.

Robbins is pretty much overkill. Basic Robbins may be more doable, but I still think that's a little too much. BRS Path will give you better results. I looked at Webpath images when I was bored.

There are two absolute musts no matter what you use to study: Kaplan's online QBank and the USMLE practice CD. A few of my Step I questions were taken verbatim from the practice CD.

And I have copies of that Kaplan home study books if anybody wants to buy them. Normally Kaplan sells them for 500$, but I'll sell them for 300$.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are the books that I found to be most useful:
Primary books to memorize cover to cover: First aid and step up (revised edition)

Books to read cover to cover and answer questions from: BRS Physio and BRS Pathology, high yield behavior science

Books to read as a reference (ie not cover to cover, use prn (as needed :) ): high yield neuroanatomy, high yield gross anatomy (if you skip these two book, just memorize the parts in First aid about these two subjects and you will probably do just as well); high yield embryology (1st edition, try and purchase it from an upperclassman, the 2nd edition has too much info), Lippincott Biochemistry, Lipincott Pharmacology

Kaplan Q bank is essential for your studying. I would do every question and read the explanations as you do them. Other resources that I had but didn't use but other people used with ok reviews are the UCV series, BSS, and NMS for the USMLE step 1.

Make yourself a schedule based on reviewing first aid and step up everyday and you should do alright.

BSS and first aid, latest edition, that is all you need. do the 4 tests in each book, don't do the diagnostic, don't review questions you get right. do one book/wk for 5 weeks and continually review notes for the explantions and first aid. this is all that is needed.

Jason

Gotta use First Aid 2002, and I've heard good stuff about Step Up Book,
Also many of the High-Yield series are excellent for subjects that you need specific help in.

For Path, and Physiology, the BRS books are the best!

Get First Aid now! Do not pass GO, Do not collect $200. Reading First Aid (FA) along with your 2nd year courses is very helpful. I wish I would have bought it earlier.

I used FA as my road map, noted it up, and used other texts where I felt FA wasn't adequate.

Clinically Microbiology made ridiculously simple was the only thing (other than FA) that I used for micro. It's a quick and easy read.

BRS Physio was also a fairly quick read (2 days).

I found the Kaplan Organ Based series (which someone was nice enough to GIVE me) to be a little verbose. I read the biochem, BS, and neuroscience books, but used FA, review books, and my own notes (cram packets for MSI and MSII tests) for everything else.

KAPLAN, KAPLAN, KAPLAN. O.k. so I have a conflict of interest considering I'm selling a new 2002 set ($200--PM me if interested) with the Q-book and the CD, but I truly do think that these are FANTASTIC study sources for Step 1. I'm not saying that the others are bad, but you can't go wrong with the Kaplan stuff. my 2 cents...

8/16/02: Sold out.

Dr. Cuts,
Do you think that Kaplans Live (Intense Prep) Lecture Review is worth the $1,000.00 fee? Do you know of anyone that has taken the (Live) 3 week intense course at a local (Nearby) Med-school?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thanks :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dr. Cuts,
Do you think that Kaplans Live (Intense Prep) Lecture Review is worth the $1,000.00 fee? Do you know of anyone that has taken the (Live) 3 week intense course at a local (Nearby) Med-school?

Originally posted by jek2839
Dr. Cuts,

Hey, a fellow Houstonian :)... I don't know of anyone who's taken the 3-week Intense Prep. I took the 7-week course in Houston two summers ago, and I have some friends who are taking the 13-week (!) course here in Chicago right now. But bear in mind that we are all US-IMGs (i.e. we don't attend U.S. med schools--I'm Caribbean, they're European), and I think we need more "hand-holding" than U.S. students preparing for Step 1. If you're a U.S. Allopathic med student and have studied hard your first two years, I think the 3-week Intense Prep would serve your purpose well. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes anyway.

$1000 is indeed a significant sum of money, but think of it this way... can you really put a price on each additional point on Step 1? IMHO, in the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket...

Hope this helps. Good luck :).

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have a quick question: Does anyone know when FA 2003 comes out? Should I just buy 2002 now, or hold out for the new one and use other books (BRS, etc.) to study from for now until the newest version is available?? :confused:

Thanks. :)

Amy,
Like I said in that other post, you don't need to waste the money now if you can get a '01 cheap. I assume your step 1 will be next year. the '03 book will come out around spring break. there will not be enough info changing between times. Be sure to get the new one when the time comes. for now, just use the book during classes to understand HOW to use it later, no need to memorize now.

Jason