Best books to ease learning pre-med material?

Started by j814wong
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

j814wong

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Organic chemistry is regarded, as far as I know, as one of the hardest parts in pre-medical studies. For Organic Chemistry, I've found a book called "Organic Chemistry I As a Second Language: First Semester Topics" which has a 5-star rating with 33 total reviews with 32 being 5-stars and 1 being 4-star. Now, unless the author is hiring those evil false book-five-star-givers that lurk on the internet, that book seems to be a very good book where, quoting one reviewer, "Concepts are broken down into easy to understand steps and explained in plain English" Well if the book lives up to this and other reviews, it would be extremely helpful.

So my question is are there any other similar books for college level pre-med studies that breaks down concepts into steps and plain English while not being for kids or high schoolers? Bonus if those books are good enough to build a solid foundation and more before one jumps into MCAT review books like Examkrackers and Princeton Review.

I would like similar books for biology, physics (I have fairly decent grasp on physics but getting a much better picture can't hurt anything, except maybe the poor wallet.), anatomy (Supposedly one of those hidden non-pre-med-req classes that really help), genetics, etc?

Many thanks.
 
Those books might help you on the MCAT. But depending on the rigor of the class, it might be too basic. There were a lot of advanced topics that we covered in class that I didn't even see on the MCAT. You have to be attentive when the train comes, because once you miss it, the next one is in eight hours.

So it's up to you. Usually, I went to the professor during his officer hours for help.
 
That organic chem book is absolutely amazing and helped me a lot more than the textbook did. As for the other classes, there is nothing really like it unfortunately. However, orgo is probably the hardest of the pre-med classes (for some it's physics).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Concepts in Biology-Enger

General Chemistry-The Essential Concepts-Chang

Organic Chemistry-David Klein

University Physics-Young and Freedman
 
Concepts in Biology-Enger

General Chemistry-The Essential Concepts-Chang

Organic Chemistry-David Klein

University Physics-Young and Freedman


I thought university physics sucked.. i suggest Resnick and Holliday for Physics
 
I just want to be able to grasp the basics and some more so I enter the classes prepared. Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is the sort of book I want as I quite like it non-textbook style.