Best CA unopposed programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makesomerheum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
It seems hard to find info about excellent programs that are not university based. I would like to get a very broad experience in training for preparation for international work. Does anyone have any recommendations for programs in CA, preferably unopposed? I have read on this forum about Ventura, Contra Costa, and a few others but which program is through to be the best? Since I do not go to med school in CA, it is hard to get a feel for this sine a lot of reputation in FP seems to be by word of mouth. Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Ventura County #1 In Ca( If Not The Entire Country)
Other Good Programs....
Contra Costa
Natividad/monterey County
Have Heard Good Things About Santa Rosa As Well

Members don't see this ad :)
emedpa said:
Ventura County #1 In Ca( If Not The Entire Country)
Other Good Programs....
Contra Costa
Natividad/monterey County
Have Heard Good Things About Santa Rosa As Well

I have heard great things about Santa Rosa.
I have also heard an old rumor that a lot of Docs at Ventura are Born-Again Christian. Has anyone heard that this interferes with learning about and being able to offer birth control, abortions, etc.

Has anyone found a good reference for how to find out about what a residencies views are on these topics?
:rolleyes:

Justineb said:
I have also heard an old rumor that a lot of Docs at Ventura are Born-Again Christian. Has anyone heard that this interferes with learning about and being able to offer birth control, abortions, etc.

Has anyone found a good reference for how to find out about what a residencies views are on these topics?

I used to work with these docs regularly when I was in ems and never heard this "rumor". their residents are awesome...run the er, lots of o.r. procedures, run the trauma service, c-sections, appys, etc

Justineb said:

Medical Students for Choice has a residency guide on their website with info about the availability of abortion training at different FP and Ob/Gyn programs

http://www.ms4c.org/resguide.htm

:thumbup:

Kanga said:
Medical Students for Choice has a residency guide on their website with info about the availability of abortion training at different FP and Ob/Gyn programs

http://www.ms4c.org/resguide.htm

:thumbup:

Thanks for that link!! That is a great organization!

As a recent Ventura graduate, I'd like to respond to the old rumor that the program is dominated by born-again Christians. This is absolutely false.

Let me say emphatically that Ventura is a secular, public program based at a county hospital serving an extremely diverse community with respect to race, economic class, religion, and sexual orientation.

I think that those of us (like me) from the Pacific Northwest or the Northeast, where evangelical Christians are extremely rare, do notice that there is a significant minority of evangelical Christians among the residents. This has not been more than 25% of the residency, as far as I can tell, and certainly reflects the demographics of the USA as a whole. Our residents are atheists, Hindus, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Unitarians, mainline Protestants, agnostics, and yes... a few evangelical Christians. This has never affected the quality of education or patient care that I have witnessed. I got trained in the full spectrum of contraception methods, and TAb training at Planned Parenthood is an integral part of the curriculum, not an elective (though some choose to opt out). The county has an amazing LGBTQ Pride Clinic, and the HIV services are comprehensive and the clinic is run by FM docs. The area leans left (I've seen more Bernie signs than any other candidates) and is a great place to live (mild climate, plenty of outdoor recreation in the mountains and in the ocean, lots of local agriculture, great social justice nonprofits, nice downtown area).

The most important thing about this program is a commitment to caring for the underserved. And yes, be prepared to work hard... this is a hospital that is really run by the residents; rare in this day and age.

I am biased to my program at PIH - Downey. However, the PIH Whittier program is also very good and I hear they have an international training track.

Reactions: 1 user
It's nice to hear about such a strong program (Ventura), but I don't think many (or at least I) assumed Ventura to be largely Christian. The program is amazing and maintains a fantastic reputation.

@mabinante , was your program unopposed, and what were some of the high points?

Reactions: 1 user
I am biased to my program at PIH - Downey. However, the PIH Whittier program is also very good and I hear they have an international training track.

I'm glad to hear a bit about these programs. Can you expand a little bit on your experiences, pros and cons? I've been look into them, but beyond the website, there's not a ton of info out there.

There is no "best". It depends on the specifics of what you're looking for, both culture and training. You can find out more pros/cons by interviewing and doing second looks when the time comes.

Ventura is a wonderful place. Pros - strong ER and trauma particularly. I have heard that there are now rotating surgery residents there, curious how that is affecting the experience now and over time. They also have fellows, in OB and other areas, also curious how much that affects the program. But a great culture, and a lot of diversity including evangelicals as noted above.

Contra Costa is also very strong. In addition to the unopposed, full-spectrum training, particular strengths include the culture 6/13 residents in the global health track, bimonthly global health dinners, strong ultrasound program and electives, and possibly the best FM global health fellowship in the country. Longitudinal relationships with several sites with an emphasis on spreading FM training rather than missions religious or otherwise...

http://cchealth.org/residency/ghf/