Best CAP fellowship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haldol Lorazepam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With more than 100 programs for the child& adolescent fellowship, what would be the top/best ones in terms of training quality, depth of faculty expertise etc? I'm planning to apply to only 10 max. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

With more than 100 programs for the child& adolescent fellowship, what would be the top/best ones in terms of training quality, depth of faculty expertise etc? I'm planning to apply to only 10 max. TIA

With 100 programs I can't say which 10 have the best training quality. It could be a random program that happens to have things together. But these are a few programs (in no order) that have a deep bench of engaged faculty, are active in the academy, and generally known for their research/clinical expertise:

- MGH
- Yale
- UCLA
- UCSF
- Brown
- Stanford
- Columbia/Cornell
- U Colorado
- U Vermont
- U Cincinnati
- Wash U

These are the programs that you keep meeting people from, hearing faculty present from, etc. Of course there are many other great programs. NYU has been popular recently but I almost never see people from NYU at AACAP and their fellows seem to have to work all the time! Similarly CHA has a great reputation but not necessarily around scholarship.

Last edited:

Really depends on what you are looking for. CAP much more than general programs tend to have areas of specialization. Want to do family centered therapy? Vermont is great. Want to do CL work? Then look at programs with a top 10 children's hospital and that could be basically verbatim your top 10 programs. Want to do outpatient integrated peds work? Well that's a more complicated story, PM if that happens to be the case. Are you just looking for a fancy name so you can hang up a shingle and get cash patients? Then it's pretty easy to pick cool sounding Ivy's/West coast school.

Members don't see this ad :)
With 100 programs I can't say which 10 have the best training quality. It could be a random program that happens to have things together. But these are a few programs (in no order) that have a deep bench of engaged faculty, are active in the academy, and generally known for their research/clinical expertise:

- MGH
- Yale
- UCLA
- UCSF
- Brown
- Stanford
- Columbia/Cornell
- U Colorado
- U Vermont
- U Cincinnati

These are the programs that you keep meeting people from, hearing faculty present from, etc. Of course there are many other great programs. NYU has been popular recently but I almost never see people from NYU at AACAP and their fellows seem to have to work all the time! Similarly CHA has a great reputation but not necessarily around scholarship.

I'm not sure how "deepest bench" translates to best training program nor how seeing more patients translates to a worse training program. Child fellowship, even more so than adult training, requires seeing as many kids in different settings as possible so you can easily spot normal vs. abnormal development. Plus, you've already pointed out how most top programs take loads of call.

IMO, top programs in the country include:
-MGH
-NYU
-Brown
-Yale
-UCLA
-UW
-Stanford

UCSF is definitely not a good fellowship training program, and Columbia/Cornell's program is a step down from their adult program. UVM does a lot of great work in public psychiatry and prevention work with Dr. Hudziak, but I don't know if I'd call them a top fellowship training program.

I'm not sure how "deepest bench" translates to best training program nor how seeing more patients translates to a worse training program.

The OP literally asked about 'top training' and 'depth of faculty expertise' - I then specified that I could only comment on the latter. So I'm not making any kind of argument about that translating into good training or not.

The OP literally asked about 'top training' and 'depth of faculty expertise' - I then specified that I could only comment on the latter. So I'm not making any kind of argument about that translating into good training or not.

Ok. You're also posting a list in a thread titled "Best CAP Fellowship Programs." I'd just like applicants to know that "'most presentations at AACAP" etc is not the best gauge of fellowship training. And I'd be careful not to try and assess programs you didn't interview at and are only providing speculation.

I know very little about the individual programs in child psych, but Wash U definitely has 1) great training with lots of settings/psychopathology and 2) amazing faculty, many of whom are superstars internationally in CAP (eg, John Constantino, Joan Luby) and some up and coming people doing great work.

I don't think it's as sought after as other places because of location, but a lot of our residents who go into child who very easily could go to the above mentioned places end up staying

Reactions: 1 user
I know very little about the individual programs in child psych, but Wash U definitely has 1) great training with lots of settings/psychopathology and 2) amazing faculty, many of whom are superstars internationally in CAP (eg, John Constantino, Joan Luby) and some up and coming people doing great work.

I don't think it's as sought after as other places because of location, but a lot of our residents who go into child who very easily could go to the above mentioned places end up staying

Absolutely- I couldn't agree more and will edit my post to add them. Some truly incredible faculty there.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank y'all. Appreciate everyone's input here.
In my opinion the amount of exposure to psychopathology and treatment modalities in different settings as well as the supervision/teaching provided by faculty are 2 of the main factors I like to consider when looking at the quality of a training program whether it's residency or fellowship. The challenge remains in finding a program that offers "everything". From what I've read, most programs might excel at individual areas or aspects which make it difficult to choose especially for someone like me not having a particular area of interest in CAP, at least till now!
Cheers

Last edited:

- MGH
- Yale
- UCLA
- UCSF
- Brown
- Stanford
- Columbia/Cornell
- U Colorado
- U Vermont
- U Cincinnati
- Wash U

This is a good list. Especially MGH, UCLA, Brown and Stanford. Brown has an exceptional program for sure - a PD who is very education-oriented, the little child hospital (I forget the name) with separate floors for individual pathologies giving you fantastic clinical experience, etc.