Best Caribbean MD program for least amount of $$$$$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joel Murphy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a Caribbean MD program for the least amount of tuition. I want to be able to practice medicine in the United States, Wisconsin specifically. What school is good but won't break my bank? Also if the school has a 1 yr post-bacc program for non-science majors that would be a plus. I know St George Med School has a program but I find their school to be too expensive.

Thanks in advance for meaningful insight

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question, what do you consider an affordable amount of debt, being all inclusive of fees (living, tuition, travel, etc...)

I am looking for a Caribbean MD program for the least amount of tuition.

This should not be your primary criterion. Your best bet will be to look at a school that has a track record of getting residency placements in Wisconsin, as you say that's where you want to practice. You are far more likely to make the key connections in residency that will land you a permanent position in the state if you choose this way.

I would go to several school's websites, starting with the Big Three (AUC, St. George's, and Ross), and see which schools had residents placed in programs in Wisconsin. You can look at all the schools in the Caribbean, if you want, that meet this criteria. Most schools post their residency positions over the past several years. For example, Ross' 2014 residency list shows 8 students who received residency spots in WI in Internal Medicine (2), Family Practice (4), Neurology (1), and Pediatrics (1).

http://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/residencyappointments.cfm

Next, I would make a list with the most residents in Wisconsin next to the total amount of tuition required to complete the undergrad med program, start to finish. Then you will have to decide which program is the most worth it to go to based on your expense criteria.

Good luck. Tell us what you figure out.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
Joel,

You posted a couple of times, then disappeared. :confused:

Anyway, I just read your posts on the other thread. Let's be frank: you (a) cannot get into a reputable Caribbean medical school without the completed prerequisites (Biology, Chem, O-chem, Physics, and the labs) and taking the MCATs, (b) will have to tack two years (at least) onto whatever your current plans are, and (c) if you don't go to a reputable school your chances of long-term success rapidly approach the nullset. You didn't say how old you were either. My guess is you're probably in your early to mid 30's, based on what you said in your other thread.

So, if you really want to be a psychiatrist, you're realistically looking at 10 years from now (minimum) until you'll be able to practice independently (2 years of pre-reqs plus MCAT, 4 years of medical school, 4 years of residency). If you go through the trouble of doing the pre-reqs, might as well just apply to U.S. schools. But, as one poster said on the other thread about being an ED physician, you might find it's not what you expected in the end. Also, you're looking at being at least $200k in debt (possibly/probably more) by the time you finish. The current tuition alone at Caribbean schools is over $200K for the reputable ones, for example.

Basically, there are no shortcuts to becoming a doctor. You can't just to do a few online courses then get a diploma from some diploma mill and start practicing (so don't believe anyone if they tell you that you can). I sincerely hope that you didn't think choosing a "cheap" Caribbean school was going to get you where you wanted to be. It is rigorous. It requires passing the licensing exams. And you have to complete a residency and board-certification process in your field. And many schools that aren't reputable are barred from licensure in many (and in some cases all) states.

In the end, becoming a physician may take too long and not be the field for you. If you truly enjoy mental healthcare, there are other opportunities to make a difference, and a good living, aside from being a physician.

-Skip