Best classes pre-DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haley.jo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, new SDN user here. My problem is, I'm in the military, have been in the nursing field for the last 3 years which means I haven't taken a math or sci class in the last 3 yrs. I'm graduating with my bachelor's next Dec and I'm trying to figure out what classes to jump on to help me better prepare for the DAT. So far I've taken:
Intro to Chem
General Chem 1
General Biology
Statistics
Psychology

No physics or Org Chem yet. Also should I try to take the DAT next yr or in 2015?
Thank you everyone for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The only courses that are must take are Gen Chem 1/2, bio 1/2 and ochem 1. Ochem 2 can be learned from test resources.

Does anatomy or micro biology count as bio 2? My school only offered 1 sem of general biology. Are physics requirements a med school pre req only?
No, i don't believe they count as bio 2. And physics 1/2 with lab is required for dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest organic chem 1 and 2 and an intro biology class. Although the chemistry part of the DAT can be self taught, I found the biology to be random and difficult to study for. I wish I had taken a more in depth ecology course and maybe a genetics course. However, I found some online resources for biology (watch youtube videos). Good Luck!

If you don't take organic chemistry before the DAT I think it's ok. Organic Chemistry is very easy to teach yourself. Ochem 1 covers 13 chapters and you can easily learn 1 chapter every 5-6 hours, sometimes less. I can't speak for Ochem 2 because I don't take it until next year