haley.jo

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2013
Hello, new SDN user here. My problem is, I'm in the military, have been in the nursing field for the last 3 years which means I haven't taken a math or sci class in the last 3 yrs. I'm graduating with my bachelor's next Dec and I'm trying to figure out what classes to jump on to help me better prepare for the DAT. So far I've taken:
Intro to Chem
General Chem 1
General Biology
Statistics
Psychology

No physics or Org Chem yet. Also should I try to take the DAT next yr or in 2015?
Thank you everyone for your help!

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
The only courses that are must take are Gen Chem 1/2, bio 1/2 and ochem 1. Ochem 2 can be learned from test resources.

OP
haley.jo

haley.jo

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2013
Does anatomy or micro biology count as bio 2? My school only offered 1 sem of general biology. Are physics requirements a med school pre req only?

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Does anatomy or micro biology count as bio 2? My school only offered 1 sem of general biology. Are physics requirements a med school pre req only?
No, i don't believe they count as bio 2. And physics 1/2 with lab is required for dental school.

May 24, 2012
I would suggest organic chem 1 and 2 and an intro biology class. Although the chemistry part of the DAT can be self taught, I found the biology to be random and difficult to study for. I wish I had taken a more in depth ecology course and maybe a genetics course. However, I found some online resources for biology (watch youtube videos). Good Luck!

Sep 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
If you don't take organic chemistry before the DAT I think it's ok. Organic Chemistry is very easy to teach yourself. Ochem 1 covers 13 chapters and you can easily learn 1 chapter every 5-6 hours, sometimes less. I can't speak for Ochem 2 because I don't take it until next year