Best classes to take: PLEASE READ have only hours before end of Add drop!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fdf12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I’m starting NSU-COM this fall and have a this spring semester to kill. This is the last week to add and drop classes and was wandering if anyone would be kind enough to offer insight to what classes would be good to take. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, and Histology are classes in which im registered for right now. They seem pretty good. Any input would be great.

Also do you all know if this semesters grades would matter at all. I’m assuming since I’m already admitted and have fulfilled their requirements it wouldn’t matter at all. I could probably do real bad and no one would care, I dont think theyll take my acceptance away.

Members don't see this ad.

Might want to call NSU and double check to make sure you have all the requirements filled instead of pending.

Best advice whic you prob wont take (I know I did'nt when I was given it) just relax. What ever you pick up in undergrad will help you for about the first two or three days and then you're in the same boat as every one else. Enjoy your last sem takesomething fun or something you're interested in. Relax and enjoy what free time you have left.

I would take biochemistry. Eventhough it's a lot of memorizing, IMO I think it's the easiest class of the 4 that you're registered for. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Docgeorge said:
Might want to call NSU and double check to make sure you have all the requirements filled instead of pending.

Best advice whic you prob wont take (I know I did'nt when I was given it) just relax. What ever you pick up in undergrad will help you for about the first two or three days and then you're in the same boat as every one else. Enjoy your last sem takesomething fun or something you're interested in. Relax and enjoy what free time you have left.

Thanks for the Reply. Your right I probably wont take the relax option, I just feel any background may help and I am genuinally interested in learning these subjects.
I tried calling them to double check that I have completed their requirments but couldnt get a hold of anyone, but their brochure clearly says that the requirments are
8 hours each of Gen Bio, Chem, Organic Physics and 6 hours of English. If anyone knows differently please let me know.

Thanks again

The classes you are currently registered for will likely make your life much easier while in med school.

futuredo32 said:
The classes you are currently registered for will likely make your life much easier while in med school.

Yeah, while unncessarily kicking your own ass.

I vote for the relax option.

fdf12 said:
Hey all, I’m starting NSU-COM this fall and have a this spring semester to kill. This is the last week to add and drop classes and was wandering if anyone would be kind enough to offer insight to what classes would be good to take. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, and Histology are classes in which im registered for right now. They seem pretty good. Any input would be great.

Also do you all know if this semesters grades would matter at all. I’m assuming since I’m already admitted and have fulfilled their requirements it wouldn’t matter at all. I could probably do real bad and no one would care, I dont think theyll take my acceptance away.

Let's see, first semester we had physio, biochem, anatomy, histo, and other non science courses. Second semester we have neuroanatomy, and immunology/molecular biology. I think the best thing to do would be really focus in those classes. As much as people tell you to relax and take time off, it would help you so much if you knew your histo and physio especially well. I found myself struggling to learn all these new concepts I'd never even seen before. I also found myself wishing I had taken more science as an undergrad.

HoodyHoo said:
Let's see, first semester we had physio, biochem, anatomy, histo, and other non science courses. Second semester we have neuroanatomy, and immunology/molecular biology. I think the best thing to do would be really focus in those classes. As much as people tell you to relax and take time off, it would help you so much if you knew your histo and physio especially well. I found myself struggling to learn all these new concepts I'd never even seen before. I also found myself wishing I had taken more science as an undergrad.

How well is he honestly going to "know" it with a summer in between med school and graduation?

Unless he plans to continually review the material, I doubt its worth much.

This is panic syndrom... The sky is NOT falling!!!

Everyone feels insecure about starting medical school in as little as 7 Month. You are not the only one. We are all in the same boat. You fill find very few in medical school... looking at all the others and laughing their heads off.. cause they have done courses instead of relaxing in summer. Eveyone will have enough work.

You want to go out and take classes. Sure knock yourself out.

I will be the one sitting in class, learning something new.. and studying for hours. But at least I know the last few month of freedom I had (and they WILL BE your last free month)... I enjoyed them.

docbill said:
This is panic syndrom... The sky is NOT falling!!!

Everyone feels insecure about starting medical school in as little as 7 Month. You are not the only one. We are all in the same boat. You fill find very few in medical school... looking at all the others and laughing their heads off.. cause they have done courses instead of relaxing in summer. Eveyone will have enough work.

You want to go out and take classes. Sure knock yourself out.

I will be the one sitting in class, learning something new.. and studying for hours. But at least I know the last few month of freedom I had (and they WILL BE your last free month)... I enjoyed them.

Believe you'll be so glad you did that espicially around the middle of Feb the first year.

thats seems like an ass load of courses and a lot of work. Yes it will help you out. Yes when you get here you will have to study hardcore. I will say out of all those courses I would think physiology and biochem are the better ones. The biochem here is pretty much spoon fed but it helps to have a good start.

:luck: Relax my man...unless those classes will allow you to test out of something in med school then I would tone that down (all great courses, but substitute a few for something cool like EMT or underwater basket weaving)and have fun. Someone up above commented that you will not regret this advice (if heeded) in Feb..could'nt be more true except I think he is a litttle late with february. Everything you need to learn you are taught here, it aint hard...watered down in fact. just a lot of material and your school will want you to know it in a different way than undergrad cir. teach it. Once again, my vote is whiskey...I mean relax, enjoy, wash, repeat. :luck:

I would STRONGLY advise you to take some easy non-science classes.

If you don't do well, you can risk of losing your acceptance. Additionally, you will do enough studying in medical school, and you will regret having that lifestyle right now. Even if you take these classes, you will have to study them at a different level in school.

If you must take a course, histology or physiology. I would say phys, but some would say histo.

Unless you have a cadaver lab, the anatomy lab will teach nothing that you need to know in medical school. It will help you learn terminology, however if you must take it.

Anatomy without a doubt, especially if you can get in a gross lab.

Physio is great if you really get alot out of the class. I took it two years prior then was a TA for the lab. Now every time I have a lecture in med school about it I can read the notes over one time then move on to something else. Unfortunately the rest of the time is spent trying to not get owned by anatomy.

Biochem is helpful but not worth the semester investment to just be a little ahead of the curve in med school. If you have had general and organic chem you should be fine.

Histo, um never had it or realised it was a class offered anywhere. I've done well in histo without it.

Really my advice to you would be to take any fun classes you haven't had the chance to. Take anatomy and maybe physio then go take something fun. You'll get your fill of science classes next year.

OSUdoc08 said:
I would STRONGLY advise you to take some easy non-science classes.

If you don't do well, you can risk of losing your acceptance. Additionally, you will do enough studying in medical school, and you will regret having that lifestyle right now. Even if you take these classes, you will have to study them at a different level in school.

If you must take a course, histology or physiology. I would say phys, but some would say histo.

Unless you have a cadaver lab, the anatomy lab will teach nothing that you need to know in medical school. It will help you learn terminology, however if you must take it.

Sorry could you please clarify how exactly I could have my acceptance taken away. I already have my degree, in fact one of the reasons I want to take these classes is that I've been out of school for a bit and need a warmup. But seriously if I'm getting lower than C's I will drop the courses. What is the policy on loosing your acceptance, Please clarify!!