Best DAT Prep Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindyt24s

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just decided to apply to Dental School for the 2003 application cycle and I need help getting up to speed. I've read different reviews on the DAT Prep guides out there. It seems like there isn't very much out there at all. I've read that the best thing to do is the practice tests, but according to my calculations, Topscore has 2 tests, Kaplan has 2, 1 written, 1 computerized and Barrons, aside form it's PAT section, has completely wrong answers. I'm not asking for a miracle test prep guide, but I need to know which are the better guides (For overall review) and also where else can you get practice tests (that are at least somewhat similar to the real thing). Anyone who's taken the DAT recently, please help me out. Thanks.:D

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Kaplan course and although you may not want to take the actual course, I believe you can pay money to just use their media library. Kaplan isn't really worth the live lessons they teach because in the end, you basically teach it all to yourself. With that said, they have 3 full written tests and 3 full computer tests. In addition, Kaplan has a battery of practice problems for every section on the computer as well as on paper which ends up being probably like an extra 6-8 tests or so. This is why I took Kaplan, I spent many days in Kaplan doing the practice problems over and over. What I also did was when I would get a problem wrong, I would copy it and then copy the answer to it. By the end I had a booklet of problems that was great for reviewing on those days Kaplan was closed or I just didn't feel like going in...it really helped and I ended up with a 23/23. Good luck!

Kaplan by far had the best book. I did like the PAT section in Barron's though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you just buy the Kaplan book at the bookstore, it just has one written exam, and one computer exam.

Hi Mindy,

I still have some great resources for the DAT that I am planning to Sell please Private Message me if you are interested. I also emailed you, you can email me also.

DesiDentist

the best book that i used was the princeton review book offered to people who take their mcat course. i had a friend in that course so i borrowed her book. it's a full science review book. minus the physics section it will help you out majorly with bio and orgo chem. i scored a 21 on the science part basically just reviewing from that!!!!

Yup, the Princeton DAT books are the best. I did extremely well, especially the science section. The g-chem is almost 99% match.
So is ochem.