Best DAT Prep Materials besides Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemoncupcake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of any fabulous DAT prep materials besides Kaplan? I found the Kaplan questions to be way too easy in comparison to the actual exam (which I took and got mediocre results). I was getting amazing practice test results only to not do so well on the actual exam.
THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any fabulous DAT prep materials besides Kaplan? I found the Kaplan questions to be way too easy in comparison to the actual exam (which I took and got mediocre results). I was getting amazing practice test results only to not do so well on the actual exam.
THANKS!

Perusing around this forum for awhile will give you plenty of ideas. Here's my list:

Old textbooks
Destroyer
Chad's videos
Topscore
ACS chemistry study guides (one for ochem, one for genchem)
Cliff's AP Biology

Keep in mind that I built my study plan around my weak areas which were GC, OC, and QR.

search the dental forum for a word "breakdown" and read a few. It should give you some idea.

Bio - Cliffs AP Bio is a great start to reviewing, clear up any mistakes you have with your class textbook (I highly recommend the Campbells book), then clean it up with Destroyer.

GChem - Again, the Cliffs Chemistry book is a nice review. I also liked the Kaplan BB, but I think it was the Kaplan practice tests that were the best! The Destroyer is a little overkill in some people's opinion, but I always feel its better to be overprepared than underprepared. I personally went from a 16 to a 22 in the GChem section using the Destroyer after studying with Kaplan the first time.

Orgo - Nothing else but Destroyer! It has everything you need. The "Road Maps" are priceless!! Kaplan BB is also a nice side piece, but Destroyer was on the money for this section in my opinion.

PAT - Crack DAT PAT and nothing else! I felt it was identical to the test, maybe even harder than the actual thing which was good. I was scoring 18's and 19's but got a 20 on the real thing.

QR - I used Kaplan, but also some SAT books believe it or not. Get used to not using a calculator and learning tricks on estimating, practice formulas, etc, etc. I believe there is also a MATH Destroyer which I haven't used, but some of my friends have and they all said it did well for them, none of them scored less than an 18.

RC - I don't really know what to recommend for this section. I would say practice different strategies, there's "search and destroy" where you read the questions and then look through the passage, but I prefer reading the passage and making bullet points while reading so you know where to refer to in the passage. "Tone" questions suck, and the vocab isn't bad at it.

Good luck studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides Kaplan, I felt like Achiever, CDP, and CDM was more than enough good practice for me. If you can thoroughly go through all of these, you'd be in pretty good shape.

Besides Kaplan, I felt like Achiever, CDP, and CDM was more than enough good practice for me. If you can thoroughly go through all of these, you'd be in pretty good shape.

Destroyer will help you figure out what you don't know when you haven't studied enough to know what you don't know (hope that makes sense). CDP/Achiever/CDM will test if you've learned and retained the info correctly.

Biology: DAT TOGO, Destroyer, Cambel Book.
Gen Chem: Kaplan book and Destroyer (not easy)
Orgo: Destroyer (map)

Where is the "Road Map" in Destroyer everyone speaks of?

Like what pages are they? I see some here and there in the O.chem section, are there anymore in the other sections?

Last edited:
Where is the "Road Map" in Destroyer everyone speaks of?

Like what pages are they? I see some here and there in the O.chem section, are there anymore in the other sections?

there are 6 pages in the solutions of organic section.

Ps Why do a lot of people refer to organic chemistry as orgo? Only because of orgoman?