Best DAT Study Plan for DAT in mid/late May?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrazilianRider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to take the DAT sometime mid/late May, so I'm going to have to study while taking classes and then have 2/3 weeks after finals to cram before I take it.

I'm ahead on my coursework because I've been taking classes over the past two summers (I like taking classes over summer because it's laid back), so I'm only taking two really critical science classes this semester and then some final Gen Eds which lets me have a lighter workload.

So now my question is: What's the best study program? I already purchased and have with me: Kaplan Blue Book, Cliff's AP Bio, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, 1001 Orgo Problems (or something like that), Crack PAT DAT and Topscore, now I just have to find a plan that'll allow me to utilize the time I have.

I've seen the 6 week plans and the 88 day plans, but I was wondering if any of you guys had a study plan that allows me to take advantage of the 16 weeks I have between now and the test. I'm probably going to have 4-6 hours a day to study, but obviously I will have less on days leading up to exams, etc.

If nobody has a good plan set, how do you feel about this: Since the famous 6 week plan involves 8-10 hour days, would slashing the workload of each day in half be a good idea? I feel like that would allow me to keep the strenuous repetition of the plan (which I really like) while making it a little more manageable and stretching it out over 12 weeks + a few days of leniency for exams.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the same boat. I wanna do the 6 week plan, but I am going to be at my masters program while doing the studying. Idk how that I going to go. I don't think I can do masters and 8 hours a day on top of that. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to take it early just in case I had to retake before submitting my application

Having a higher DAT score far outweighs getting in your application a few weeks earlier. Study through May and June and do well on the DAT! Have everything else ready so that all that is remaining is your test scores. If you get all of your stuff in before August, I think you'll be fine (from what I've gathered on here).

I understand the concern in wanting to have time to retake if things don't go as planned, but I believe that dedicating your time when you have fewer obligations so you can really ace it the one time is a more effective, less stressful plan than trying to study with many other obligations with the thought in the back of your mind that you may not do so well. But that's my own thoughts.

DAT Bootcamp and chads videos prepped me the most imo. Go over the videos along with cliffs bio to understand the information, then apply it to dat destroyer, dat math, and dat bootcamp. After that it's just repetition with flashcards and more problems. It wasnt feasible for me to follow the plans because I was working full time so it's just about doing your best to understand the material asap and then applying it across a huge range of problems

write it in early june, or july, boom, bang, done, study 10 hrs a day like ur mother***king life depends on it, aim for a 30 and see what happenes next lol, thats how u should do it

I'm in the same boat as the OP, and IMO, none of the above advice really helps.

OP, what I'm doing is studying an absolute minimum of 3 hours/day exclusively for DAT. This is beyond the classes I am already taking (and also studying for, obviously), working, hanging with wifey/playing with kids. Is it fun? No. But this is what we must do. For me personally, I take full loads in the summer because I have the GI Bill, and it literally pays me to go to school; when I'm not enrolled in school (actually taking classes), I don't get paid. Because of this plan, however, I started in Jan 2012, and am able to apply this coming cycle.

Without a question, use Chad's videos (just google them). A 1 month subscription is totally worth it and he explains things well. If you want to practice, use the Crack the DAT software.

Use all the resources that you have + Chad's videos. Pay for one month and watch every chem video while taking detailed notes using his outlines and a notebook. I would also use Ferallis' notes for Bio. There are a ton of details, but the difference between getting an 18 and 21+ in Bio IMO is knowing all the details. If you have 4-6 hours per day, I would spend the first few weeks reviewing 1-2 subjects per day until you have covered all the material. Then spend 1-2 hours a day reviewing each section. I would also make flash cards of all the ochem reactions from Destroyer roadmaps just to quiz yourself throughout the day. PAT can be practiced every couple of days, but you should learn the basics early on. Learn how to use the line of symmetry method for hole punching and TFE techniques. Good luck