Best degree for a future in medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am most interested in the classes around a Kinesiology degree though am currently listed as a Biological Sciences major. One of my biggest concerns, however, is that I won't be accepted into a program (PA or MD) because I tend to be a bit of a pessimist and am just not confident I would be able to get in. I'm not great at interviews, hate asking for referrals and my stats are always average.....so my biggest concern is that my degree can provide me a plan B. I don't want to be stuck down the road with a Biology or a Kinesiology degree that I can't do anything with...and end up back in some low end serving job.

I am aware that medical programs do not require a degree in science, and may even prefer a non-science degree, but I really am not interested in topics other than anatomy and physio..and maybe French (should I major in French? lol).

If PA or MD didn't work, I would also consider branching out into research or pharmacy...and maybe trying again at a later time (?). Anyways, I need to develop plans B and C and part of that involves choosing the correct major. Also, would help if you could name some common Plan Bs that people pursue if rejected from MD or PA program.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am most interested in the classes around a Kinesiology degree though am currently listed as a Biological Sciences major. One of my biggest concerns, however, is that I won't be accepted into a program (PA or MD) because I tend to be a bit of a pessimist and am just not confident I would be able to get in. I'm not great at interviews, hate asking for referrals and my stats are always average.....so my biggest concern is that my degree can provide me a plan B. I don't want to be stuck down the road with a Biology or a Kinesiology degree that I can't do anything with...and end up back in some low end serving job.

I am aware that medical programs do not require a degree in science, and may even prefer a non-science degree, but I really am not interested in topics other than anatomy and physio..and maybe French (should I major in French? lol).

If PA or MD didn't work, I would also consider branching out into research or pharmacy...and maybe trying again at a later time (?). Anyways, I need to develop plans B and C and part of that involves choosing the correct major. Also, would help if you could name some common Plan Bs that people pursue if rejected from MD or PA program.

Thanks.
Optometry
Podiatry
Research tech
Lab tech
Clinical lab tech (like respiratory)
PT
OT
Teaching
Nursing