Best dental anatomy text? Wheeler?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lopyswine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok,
So at our school we use a 3D tooth atlas on CD. I can't study from a computer screen.

Which dental anatomy text would you guys recommend? Our professor says Wheelers is the bible of dental anatomy, however I have heard the images are poor quality and poorly labeled.

Basically what would be the best text for class and then for Part 1? Would First Aid for NBDE be good enough for class?

I've heard the names Wheeler, Ash, Woelfel (sp?), and Fuller.

HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

we use wheeler, i really like it. The images aren't THAT great but they have detailed drawings of each tooth with each aspect labeled. It also comes with a cd that has useful practice questions.

The images are good enough that i can trace them (i cant draw at all) and label all the features on my own paper, so they aren't that bad! I'd definitely recommend it.

we use wheeler, i really like it. The images aren't THAT great but they have detailed drawings of each tooth with each aspect labeled. It also comes with a cd that has useful practice questions.

The images are good enough that i can trace them (i cant draw at all) and label all the features on my own paper, so they aren't that bad! I'd definitely recommend it.

hmmm then how come I keep hearing so many negatives about it.... I really don't know which text to get.

Does anyone use a different text than wheeler? do you like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wheeler here. To me, it's a great reference (and I use the CD that comes with it fairly regularly), but forget about trying to read it cover to cover! I find it very difficult to read whole chapters; it doesn't hold my attention. Skimming is useful tho. I'd recommend the book.

We use Woelfel and Scheid's "Dental Anatomy: Its relevance to Dentistry". Our anatomy professor has mentioned Wheeler to us but thinks this book is easier to follow. I think the pictures are pretty darn good too. But, it's the only book I've used so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Wheeler here. To me, it's a great reference (and I use the CD that comes with it fairly regularly), but forget about trying to read it cover to cover! I find it very difficult to read whole chapters; it doesn't hold my attention. Skimming is useful tho. I'd recommend the book.

yeah, we use wheeler as well. I've attempted to read many of the chapters and I'm not sure if I've absorbed anything from it. But, I'm not sure if you can make dental anatomy interesting.

We use Woelfel too... though I'm pretty sure I go to school with Cookand... lol