Best Dental School for Specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCoop10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently interviewing at dental schools and was trying to get an idea of whether or not anyone felt that certain schools have a much greater advantage with regards to amount of students able to pursue post-grad programs in the specialty of their choice. If I had the choice between such schools as UConn, Temple, Maryland, and Harvard, which would the benefits be of choosing one over another? I appreciate any advice and help I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools like UCLA and Columbia have a lot of people interview for specialties. I think UCLA is having 25 apply for ortho and 30 for endo. This may sound good, but it may be a hindrance in some instances. Many programs will only interview three or four people from each school, so if you are in the middle or bottom of the pack at an individual school you may get screwed.

one advantage of harvard is there is no class rank because all the classes are pass/fail. their board scores are usually very high so almost everyone ends specializing.

I would say UCLA...but make sure that if you go there you are going to specialize for sure. I have talked with a few 4th years from UCLA that were going GP and they were very or will be very unprepared for practice. I think their clinical requirements were either 1/3 or less than 1/3 the requirements we have. They stress a lot on textbook studies and like it was mentioned earlier, they have a lot of applicants for specialty...the only thing with that is that you have a lot more competition within your own class.