Best ECG book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dubin's?

Members don't see this ad.

"The ECG Made Easy" by John R. Hampton

Dubin's is good for an intro book if you have trouble conceptualizing. Once you've got the hang of it, though, it's a terrile reference. He takes 20+ pages to explain the simplest concepts, so it will be difficult to access as you need to touch up.

Having said that, I haven't really found the ideal text yet. Someone suggested The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need, so I'm giving that a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, the cocaine addict, statutory rapist's book - I love Dubin's book (hey, we all gotta be good at something . . .), it's actally great for quickly picking up EKG, although the caveat I have is that all he tracings are very stylized, unlike reading off a real bedside 12-lead

yes, the cocaine addict, statutory rapist's book - I love Dubin's book (hey, we all gotta be good at something . . .), it's actally great for quickly picking up EKG, although the caveat I have is that all he tracings are very stylized, unlike reading off a real bedside 12-lead

yeah thought they were stylized.... and I need to know the differences at the bedside rather than that stuff.

I'll have a look at the other two books suggested, thanks.

I liked "The only EKG book you'll ever need." Very easy to read and sticks in your memory.

I actually like the EKG chapter in "Pathophysiology of Heart Disease" by Lilly for getting the basics. For interpretation of EKGs though, Dubins great.

I liked "The only EKG book you'll ever need." Very easy to read and sticks in your memory.

I've got this book too! It's pretty good. The author is Thaler for the other poster that was interested.

:thumbup:

Even easy to use for surgeons. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
another vote for "the only ekg book you'll ever need" or "rapid interpretation of ekgs"

12 Lead ECG: The Art of Interpretation, by Garcia and Holtz. Very good book to learn EVERYTHING you'll ever need to know about ECG interpretation. If you want to learn to interpret arrhythmias, there is a follow-up book, called "Arrhythmia Recognition: The Art of Interpretation," also by Garcia that is excellent and easy to follow.

12 Lead ECG

Arrhythmia Recognition

Dubin's is good for an intro book if you have trouble conceptualizing. Once you've got the hang of it, though, it's a terrile reference. He takes 20+ pages to explain the simplest concepts, so it will be difficult to access as you need to touch up.

Having said that, I haven't really found the ideal text yet. Someone suggested The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need, so I'm giving that a shot.

In my Dubin's they have a six page synopsis at the end, with basically everything you've ever wanted to know about EKG's. It's actually a really good summary if you've been through EKG stuff before. For initial learning, I think Dubin's wins hands down.

Dr. Dubin's book has worked well for me so far. The good thing about it is how rapid you can get through that book and still feel comfortable. You can get through the majority of the book in one sitting. He does tend to take 5 pages to explain something very simple, but if you get it then you can just move on. He will say something, then say it in a different way, and then again in a different way.

So how does Dubin's Rapid Interpretation compare to "The only EKG book you'll ever need"? My friend uses that book and loves it. If it has full 12-leads in the text then I might switch. The stylized form in Dubin's book is really good for isolating and understanding the electrophysiology, but I want to get accustomed to reading full 12-leads instead of isolated tracings.

12 Lead ECG: The Art of Interpretation, by Garcia and Holtz. Very good book to learn EVERYTHING you'll ever need to know about ECG interpretation. If you want to learn to interpret arrhythmias, there is a follow-up book, called "Arrhythmia Recognition: The Art of Interpretation," also by Garcia that is excellent and easy to follow.

12 Lead ECG

Arrhythmia Recognition

:thumbup: for both of these. My favorites by far.

12 Lead ECG

Arrhythmia Recognition

Another strong vote for this book. What's great about it compared to the others is that it uses real EKGs including artifact and all the stuff that makes it challenging to transition to real life from stylized versions. Also the EKGs are full size.

Most importantly, though, the book is divided into three teaching levels so that it will be useful to you far beyond medical school. The basic level should get you through pre-clinical years, the intermediate level will make you shine during rotations, and the advanced level really takes it to the level of art and can be useful in residency and beyond. The book takes a single EKG and then generally has 3 different sets of explanations based on what you should be able to pick up from it at each level. (There are some more complicated points that they don't even expect people at the basic level to bother with, so some of the EKGs only have level 2 and 3 interpretation.)

I wasn't a fan of Dubin (the person or the book), did really enjoy The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need, but was blown out of the water by how great 12 Lead ECG: The Art of Interpretation is - highly recommended.

Dubin! Pedophile! Rabble Rabble Rabble!!

I hate books that purport to make things easy. Unfortunately, some of this stuff is complicated.

"ECG Criteria book" by O'Keefe

Learn it. Memorize the criteria. Cover up the computer read when you review an EKG.

Check out these free and comprehensive resources:
- www.ecgwaves.com which is a complete and comprehensive ebook. link to Ecgwaves.com
- Harvards BIDMC ECG-Wave Maven which is a massive collection of ECGs. Link to Wave Maven
- LifeInTheFastLane.com which is ECG from an ER perspective. Link

Disclosure: I contribute to the first site.

Reactions: 1 user

12 Lead ECG

Arrhythmia Recognition
I'll second this. This is my favorite EKG book by far. Amal Mattu's books are also good.

DubinsI have honestly never been a fan of. Probably good for learning the bare basics, but it's so basic to the degree that it's pretty limited in terms of who it's appropriate for.

also this thread is from 2007...

Last edited: