Best EM Program in New Jersey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do the four programs in New Jersey (UMDNJ-Newark, UMDNJ-Camden, Morristown, Newark Beth Israel) compare to each other, and to the rest of the programs on the East Coast? I think I need to drop one/some of these, and don't know which ones to cut.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Vanna, How about an "F"

Members don't see this ad :)
I say give the guy a break. Asking what the best program is in Jersey is not like asking what the best is in general. Asking for comments on just a few is legit.

That said I don't know much. I though Cooper had a solid program. Tons of penetrating trauma.

Do they still have a program?

How about asking for the strengths and personality of each of the New Jersey programs? People might be more inclined to answer. :)

Here is some of what I know:

Camden: Hardcore ghetto (the name of the town says it all) in the primary clinical site. Primary trauma site in the region in NJ, unlike the Philly programs which all scramble for a piece of the pie. The cost of living is probably slightly lower in S Jersey.

Morristown Memorial: A pretty cush place overall. The primary clinical site is a Level II trauma center surrounded by well-to-do suburbs. Lots of private upper-crusty type patients, so you lose a bit of the underserved aspect. At least when I rotated there, there was a pretty good balance of power in running traumas between Trauma & EM. The residents rotate down to University (UMDNJ) in Newark for trauma.

Beth Israel, Newark: Ghetto newark. Population is similar to UMDNJ except for the fact that most trauma goes to University (Level I) direct as BI is a Level II. Residents didn't seem overly happy when I visited, but you should ask them for yourself. They also do trauma at UMDNJ.

UMDNJ- New Jersey Medical: I was there before there was a residency, but they had just recruited a bunch of new grads from Jacobi in NY, and a bunch of them were really awesome to work with, Joe Rella (now the PD) and Tiffany Murano (associate PD) in particular. The only problem with the hardcore ghetto population is that while you will see every end-stage complication due to neglect and non-compliance, you might not have as much experience with bread-and-butter stuff (i.e. non cocaine-induced chest pain) as you might if you trained in a place that was more balanced.

.... but I'm biased as I'm a resident at Morristown, and also a grad of UMDNJ-Newark.

Morristown is a Level I trauma center, mostly blunt trauma. We do rotate during 2nd year in Newark for penetrating trauma. I'm happy to answer any questions about either MMH or Newark.

.... but I'm biased as I'm a resident at Morristown, and also a grad of UMDNJ-Newark.

Morristown is a Level I trauma center, mostly blunt trauma. We do rotate during 2nd year in Newark for penetrating trauma. I'm happy to answer any questions about either MMH or Newark.

Hey mdinsocks,
Do you know anything about the quality of the radiology program? How are the residents/attendings?
Thanks!

A couple of points:
Some people had used Camden's PD as one of the strongest points of the program, she is no longer there (although the APD that took over is a great guy). Morrisstown is a very nice place with some very good attendings. UMDNJ-Newark is obviously a newer program, but I think it has a ton of potential. They have recruited some really good attendings incl the program leadership. They have the ability to do some good research, have access to the medical school, lots of trauma, and some really sick patients.

Re: Newark - any info on relationship between EM/Surg? Who runs the traumas, procedures, etc.

Many thanks...

About UMDNJ-Newark:

Ridiculous amounts of trauma, setup is all ALS trauma go to the trauma team (surgical team), all BLS trauma go to ED. The ALS trauma patients are also seen by ED but trauma team is in charge there. We also rotate for 1 month on the trauma team in first year, which is enough time to get a bunch of chest tubes, participate in a thoracotamy or two, go to the OR if you really want to, etc (and learn how cookie-cutter trauma is).

There is certainly alot of cocaine induced chest pain, but we get lots of run of the mill chest pain too. Lots of very sick patients, and, since it is pretty ghetto, lots of people that treat ED as PMD.

Hope that helps.

About UMDNJ-Newark:

Ridiculous amounts of trauma, setup is all ALS trauma go to the trauma team (surgical team), all BLS trauma go to ED. The ALS trauma patients are also seen by ED but trauma team is in charge there. We also rotate for 1 month on the trauma team in first year, which is enough time to get a bunch of chest tubes, participate in a thoracotamy or two, go to the OR if you really want to, etc (and learn how cookie-cutter trauma is).

There is certainly alot of cocaine induced chest pain, but we get lots of run of the mill chest pain too. Lots of very sick patients, and, since it is pretty ghetto, lots of people that treat ED as PMD.

Hope that helps.

Getto is definitely good :cool:. Any thoughts about Newark/BIMC? I've been getting some love from the Jersey programs...

Getto is definitely good :cool:. Any thoughts about Newark/BIMC? I've been getting some love from the Jersey programs...

I did med school at RWJ Camden, an intern year at UMDNJ, (a 2-3 program in NYC), and came back as an attending at BI, so I know them all pretty well.

BI is pretty similar to UMDNJ and Cooper. The acuity is high, plenty of procedures, great group of residents to work with, always plenty to do. In the last 3 months I've been on I've had a perimortem c-section, floated about 5 pacemakers, a bunch of chest tubes from walk in stabbings and GSWs, some nice difficult airways, etc. Residents do everything, we bail them out if we have to, which is pretty rare. The ultrasound program is well developed and we have the busiest peds ED in the state. I think the residents are really happy overall - it's a resident run department and they take pride in it. Trauma is at UMDNJ, another month at Jersey City Medical Center for trauma, and most of the other rotations are on site. The graduating residents do really well with job placement and fellowships.

I think Cooper has a great program as well and there is a lot of potential at UMDNJ. Morristown residents love their program; it's a different patient popluation, and some people will prefer that to working in the inner city. I'm friends with attendings at all of these places and they all like their jobs.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the programs in NJ. Best of luck with the process.

I did med school at RWJ Camden, an intern year at UMDNJ, (a 2-3 program in NYC), and came back as an attending at BI, so I know them all pretty well.

BI is pretty similar to UMDNJ and Cooper. The acuity is high, plenty of procedures, great group of residents to work with, always plenty to do. In the last 3 months I've been on I've had a perimortem c-section, floated about 5 pacemakers, a bunch of chest tubes from walk in stabbings and GSWs, some nice difficult airways, etc. Residents do everything, we bail them out if we have to, which is pretty rare. The ultrasound program is well developed and we have the busiest peds ED in the state. I think the residents are really happy overall - it's a resident run department and they take pride in it. Trauma is at UMDNJ, another month at Jersey City Medical Center for trauma, and most of the other rotations are on site. The graduating residents do really well with job placement and fellowships.

I think Cooper has a great program as well and there is a lot of potential at UMDNJ. Morristown residents love their program; it's a different patient popluation, and some people will prefer that to working in the inner city. I'm friends with attendings at all of these places and they all like their jobs.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the programs in NJ. Best of luck with the process.

Many thanks for the great insight Egon (and techno!). Looking very forward to the interviews :hardy: