best EM Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stlblues

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently a 3rd year in med school and am wondering about which EM programs are considered the best. How competitive are they compared to general surgery programs (another one of my contenders at this point)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the general consensus is the one in L.A.. MLK or something like it.
Busy hospital, limited trauma though

BatmanMD said:
I think the general consensus is the one in L.A.. MLK or something like it.
Busy hospital, limited trauma though

Yeah, and the two new ones in Anchorage and Miami are proving super competitive to match in, as well.

I'll take the bait...this question last year seemed so intriguing to me. In all reality, the interview season can be a long one. It's challenging wrestling with comparing the programs you've rotated at with those with reputations that preceed themselves.

I'll be brief, but I'm very happy with my residency program at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids, MI. Ironically, I don't feel it has the reputation it might deserve. I'll try to highlight it's strengths below, feel free to PM me with questions.

1. Brand New ED ~65+ beds
2. Cutting Edge Technology- Many PACS viewers, Physician Order Entry, WiFi/IR in the hospital to download Inpt Labs/Reports to your PDA, Interdepartmental X-ray/CT, Internet Procedure Logs/Educational Board-Prep Material, etc.
3. Volume- ~120K visits a year; 30% Peds; reportedly #1 trauma volume in MI. ~650+ beds
4. Atmosphere- very enthusiastic and energetic faculty. I'm am truly amazed by their dedication to teaching and supporting the residents. Young hospital staff. Very nice hospital to work at, almost too nice. There is art decorating the walls everywhere; not typical of most hospitals I've been to.
5. Resources- Spectrum has a lot of $. It recently built an 8 story Heart Tower- brand new wing of the hospital. Plans on building a free-standing Children's Hospital across the street.
6. Research- If you're into it, plenty of opportunities. There's a free standing VanAndel Research Center across from the hospital with a former NIH director leading the projects. The ED is doing a nationwide head injury study which will be very impressive when completed, the largest study of it's kind.
7. Pay/Benefits- 40K+. 4 weeks of vacation first year. 5 weeks of vacation 2nd/3rd year (one of these weeks is for a conference or humanitarian medical mission trip) with $1500 confererence allowance. One of four weeks is a designated holiday week.
8. City- Fantastic! Downtown is unbeatable- tons of restaurants/bars/entertainment. Lake Michigan is 30 min away. Great for outdoor adventurists. Commute to the hospital for almost any resident is <10 minutes.
9. Extracurricular opportunities- Moonlighting as a PGY3. Hospital-based aeromed opportunities.
10. DO friendly! Approximately 15% of the attending staff are DOs.

Overall, very well-rounded program, definitely worth checking into.