BEST European Med School in English?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
whuds said:
May I remind you that I'm a student as well and I do not recruit for any school but have insight to St. Chris after 3 semesters there.

I think it is a choice If you can't get into other schools.

Also a lot of people do not want to go to what you call "Central Europe"
I think Hungry is in Eastern Europe but I may be wrong.

Hungary, the Czech Republic and Poland are in Central Europe. How do I know besides politics, culture and history? All three set their watches according to Central European Time, not Eastern European Time (see also map).

whuds said:
Many want an English program. They would also like to be in an English speaking Country.

No doubt. There are plenty of options outside of SC.

whuds said:
Now I really didn't want to start anything but I'm tired of all this bickering over This school. Why does it bother you so much that so many are going to the school? More are going to the other schools as well. If you want to keep posting " The Truth" about St. Chris then Others should be allowed to post "The truth" about other schools or is there a double standard on SDN? or VMD?

Post after post here I have stated the draw backs about St. Chris. I have agreed with some posts here but to act like I have no right to post cause I'm positive, well is wrong ( also to post that I'm paid by the school or any nonsense like that is wrong too). You seem to be positive about your school and I would expect that.

Lets stop over stepping here and remember to keep it friendly and stop all this before it gets to be over stated.

Good Luck

The problem, as I see it with St. Christopher's is that boosters here and at ValueMD oversell the school. They do not address the fundamental problems caused by the charter issue, especially regarding licensure.

Regarding your posts on this thread, here are a number of things that are inaccurate or misleading:
  • Misleading info regarding St. Christopher's location vs. charter
  • Implying that SC grads do not need to meet PLAB requirements & limited licensure in the UK
  • Implying that there will be no problems for SC grads getting licensed in the 'other' 45 states
  • Implying that my school has the same problems as SC regarding licensure
  • Spartan being 'disapproved' recently
  • Implying that Hungarian English language programs were not approved in California
  • Implying that US students attending Hungarian schools cannot get Stafford loans
  • Confusing Eastern with Central Europe
I have no problem keeping it friendly, but I'm not going to let you get away with posting misleading or inaccurate info.

Miklos

PS Enjoy the Carib. Hopefully you won't have charter issues there. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

whuds said:
I don't think you want to go down this road with the Eastern European Medical Schools.
1. The English programs in all the Schools have not been Cali approved and you know that.
2. The schools in Russia, some in Hungry, and some in other countries have not been approved for US government loans, this causes a problem and you know this.
3. Unless you can otherwise prove it, the medical institutions in these countries are not equal to medical instutions in the USA.
4. Any student who goes to the Eastern European Medical schools will have some dissadvantage to doing clinicals in Eastern Europe verses doing clinicals in the US and doing the steps there.

I know you will rant and rage on this but it's all true. Maybe I should start posting " the truth" about Eastern European Medical schools, One of them wants 2000 USD for acceptance in their program, this money guarantees it . :laugh:

dude, now you are officially mudslinging, which you know as well as I do and it should stop right here.... you are posting completely untrue factoids....
1. My school has been Cali approved from Hungary - not stating that it is the greatest option to go to school - but man cannot compare it to St. Chris, not in quality because I really have no clue, but I know for a fact that my school is of higher caliber due to its reputation in producing hundreds of excellent doctors practicing in many countries, and there are hundreds upon hundreds of grads including myself currently practicing or in residency in the US.
2. I had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER in obtaining US governmental loans, namely Stafford, not sure if the Perkins is a federal loan it might be a private one, nevertheless never ever had any problems with either., by the way IS ST CHRIS available to obtain Stafford and or Perkins loans, me thinks that you need to be asking or telling that the other way around
3.are you actually implying that St Chris has a better reputation than that of other EE schools notably Hungary or the other European schools, of which St. Chris is not even considered a European school? I feel just as prepared for residency as my US grad counterparts, not to say that I am better qualified than a US grad because that would mean bragging, however it is the will to succeed, and not the assumption that one will succeed, no matter how properly trained or from what school, dude you are talking waaaaay over your head on these posts. that one was the most ridiculous by far although they are all pretty outlandish and immature esp your last statement there.
4. I for one did one full year of US clinical rotations in the US during my last year of medical school, which prepared me quite quite well for residency - although I WILL SAY that Hungary prepared me for the Basic Sciences tremendously. Have no clue what the hell you are talking about, even certain clinicals in Hungary are excellent and deserve special mention and recognition, Hungarians are the BEST IN THE WORLD in Neurology, and the Practicum was fantastic in Hungary, as well as the teaching it was one amazing experience. And guess what? The head of Neurology in my HOSPITAL IN THE US said this, that Hungarians are the best worldwide in Neurology, not to brag and boast about my school, because it is far from perfect, as you are trying to depict St. Chris. I had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with USMLE matter of fact I was at the mean on step 1 and above it on step 2.
So you tell me now buddy boy...... what the hell is "the truth" about Eastern European medical schools? dude now you are making things personal, and having no basis for your allegations and bs accusations. Aaaaah money guarantees admission ha ha..... dude now you have some mental or psych issues, yes it is very true that there are various agents and agencies working to recruit students from various contries, notably Norway, Israel, even Africa now, I wholeheartedly accept that. However admission directly to the Universities are absolutely acceptable and possible if one visits with the schools PERSONALLY and does not do some heresay and theresay telephone calls, if one is serious about attending an international medical school one must at least make that long trip and attend it, speak to some of the students and attend some lectures. Guarantee that one would not be disappointed with my institution after finishing it. Granted its tough living in foreign land and a new culture, but at least you are on solid ground to get a great education and reassurity of passing the boards, although admittedly few do not pass, but majority do pass and do quite well. I cannot believe ur immaturity, and agree wholeheartedly with Miklos.

andwhat said:
dude, now you are officially mudslinging, which you know as well as I do and it should stop right here.... you are posting completely untrue factoids....
1. My school has been Cali approved from Hungary - not stating that it is the greatest option to go to school - but man cannot compare it to St. Chris, not in quality because I really have no clue, but I know for a fact that my school is of higher caliber due to its reputation in producing hundreds of excellent doctors practicing in many countries, and there are hundreds upon hundreds of grads including myself currently practicing or in residency in the US.
2. I had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER in obtaining US governmental loans, namely Stafford, not sure if the Perkins is a federal loan it might be a private one, nevertheless never ever had any problems with either., by the way IS ST CHRIS available to obtain Stafford and or Perkins loans, me thinks that you need to be asking or telling that the other way around
3.are you actually implying that St Chris has a better reputation than that of other EE schools notably Hungary or the other European schools, of which St. Chris is not even considered a European school? I feel just as prepared for residency as my US grad counterparts, not to say that I am better qualified than a US grad because that would mean bragging, however it is the will to succeed, and not the assumption that one will succeed, no matter how properly trained or from what school, dude you are talking waaaaay over your head on these posts. that one was the most ridiculous by far although they are all pretty outlandish and immature esp your last statement there.
4. I for one did one full year of US clinical rotations in the US during my last year of medical school, which prepared me quite quite well for residency - although I WILL SAY that Hungary prepared me for the Basic Sciences tremendously. Have no clue what the hell you are talking about, even certain clinicals in Hungary are excellent and deserve special mention and recognition, Hungarians are the BEST IN THE WORLD in Neurology, and the Practicum was fantastic in Hungary, as well as the teaching it was one amazing experience. And guess what? The head of Neurology in my HOSPITAL IN THE US said this, that Hungarians are the best worldwide in Neurology, not to brag and boast about my school, because it is far from perfect, as you are trying to depict St. Chris. I had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with USMLE matter of fact I was at the mean on step 1 and above it on step 2.
So you tell me now buddy boy...... what the hell is "the truth" about Eastern European medical schools? dude now you are making things personal, and having no basis for your allegations and bs accusations. Aaaaah money guarantees admission ha ha..... dude now you have some mental or psych issues, yes it is very true that there are various agents and agencies working to recruit students from various contries, notably Norway, Israel, even Africa now, I wholeheartedly accept that. However admission directly to the Universities are absolutely acceptable and possible if one visits with the schools PERSONALLY and does not do some heresay and theresay telephone calls, if one is serious about attending an international medical school one must at least make that long trip and attend it, speak to some of the students and attend some lectures. Guarantee that one would not be disappointed with my institution after finishing it. Granted its tough living in foreign land and a new culture, but at least you are on solid ground to get a great education and reassurity of passing the boards, although admittedly few do not pass, but majority do pass and do quite well. I cannot believe ur immaturity, and agree wholeheartedly with Miklos.

You are now personaly attacking me bad form. What I said is true. I'm reporting your post. I made a statement that was general, did'nt know where you went to school, but do know where Miklos goes. You are way over the line here. The schools are in Hungry, Romania and Russia that do not have approved English programs in All States. Sorry but that is the case.
The one in Romania charges a 2000 entrance/acceptance fee I know cause I looked into it.

Now I can spend time the next few days and post all the proof here, I will if you keep up the attacking. I don't think you have ever debated before.

BTW I did not start this thread, a comment about St. Chris showed up and look how crazy it gets. I state some fact and opinion and because you don't like it you attack me.

Good Day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Miklos said:
Hungary, the Czech Republic and Poland are in Central Europe. How do I know besides politics, culture and history? All three set their watches according to Central European Time, not Eastern European Time (see also map).

No doubt. There are plenty of options outside of SC.

The problem, as I see it with St. Christopher's is that boosters here and at ValueMD oversell the school. They do not address the fundamental problems caused by the charter issue, especially regarding licensure.

Regarding your posts on this thread, here are a number of things that are inaccurate or misleading:
  • Misleading info regarding St. Christopher's location vs. charter
  • Implying that SC grads do not need to meet PLAB requirements & limited licensure in the UK
  • Implying that there will be no problems for SC grads getting licensed in the 'other' 45 states
  • Implying that my school has the same problems as SC regarding licensure
  • Spartan being 'disapproved' recently
  • Implying that Hungarian English language programs were not approved in California
  • Implying that US students attending Hungarian schools cannot get Stafford loans
  • Confusing Eastern with Central Europe
I have no problem keeping it friendly, but I'm not going to let you get away with posting misleading or inaccurate info.

Miklos

PS Enjoy the Carib. Hopefully you won't have charter issues there. Good luck.

Okay I will post the proof here in the next few days good luck to all of you.
Thank you for double teaming.

whuds said:
Okay I will post the proof here in the next few days good luck to all of you.
Thank you for double teaming.

I don't know the other poster. I was simply responding to your comments.

As far as all CE programs being universally approved, this is not the case. You'll note that I have not claimed this. You can save a lot of time by simply reading this post, instead of doing your own research.

As far as California goes, the English programs in CE which are currently approved are Charles 1st Faculty in Prague and the Hungarian schools.

Regarding New York, out of the CE schools, currently only two Polish schools are approved. However, not being approved does not prevent licensure. It only means that if one exceeds the 12 week limit of clinical rotations outside the home country of the medical school, one cannot do a residency in New York.

Hungarian schools do not feature on the Texas list of schools that do not have to prove substantial equivalence. Again, this does not preclude licensure, it just makes it more difficult. However, there are a very significant number of physicians with Hungarian diplomas practicing in Texas.

whuds said:
You are now personaly attacking me bad form. What I said is true. I'm reporting your post. I made a statement that was general, did'nt know where you went to school, but do know where Miklos goes. You are way over the line here. The schools are in Hungry, Romania and Russia that do not have approved English programs in All States. Sorry but that is the case.
The one in Romania charges a 2000 entrance/acceptance fee I know cause I looked into it.

Now I can spend time the next few days and post all the proof here, I will if you keep up the attacking. I don't think you have ever debated before.

BTW I did not start this thread, a comment about St. Chris showed up and look how crazy it gets. I state some fact and opinion and because you don't like it you attack me.

Good Day.

dude ur way way way too sensitive, just posting about my school, you need to be a bit tougher than this... I am simply stating facts about my school in Hungary, my apologies I was not clear on that maybe and have no clue about Romania... frankly dont want to go near that place ever....my apologies once again. and nooooo I promise you that I was NOT attacking you, but you have to admit that you were belittling schools there..... I went to school in Hungary too...
good luck.

Miklos said:

As far as all CE programs being universally approved, this is not the case. You'll note that I have not claimed this. You can save a lot of time by simply reading this post, instead of doing your own research.

As far as California goes, the English programs in CE which are currently approved are Charles 1st Faculty in Prague and the Hungarian schools.

Regarding New York, out of the CE schools, currently only two Polish schools are approved.http://www.op.nysed.gov/medforms.htm However, not being approved does not prevent licensure. It only means that if one exceeds the 12 week limit of clinical rotations outside the home country of the medical school, one cannot do a residency in New York.

Hungarian schools do not feature on the Texas list of schools that do have to prove substantial equivalence. Again, this does not preclude licensure, it just makes it more difficult. However, there are a very significant number of physicians with Hungarian diplomas practicing in Texas.

Fine, I could post more after some internet work but lets leave it.

Good luck to all.

dude, post all you want about CE schools. however, i think the school you are refering to is a romanian school....now, these schools are nowhere near the same as the hungarian/czech and even polish schools. they are dodgy, new and unappproved. so, any incriminating info you have about the romanian schools is really not news, nor does it remotely apply to this conversation. i have yet to see a romanian school mentioned in this thread, nor favorably mentioned by anyone other than an agent.

but, if you have any good info, post it. these little threats "oh, i have something on your school" without back up is simply childish.

none of these posts that i can see are an attack on st chris. they seem to be merely providing good information and points as to why st chris shouldn't even be mentioned on this thread.

Miklos said:

Regarding New York, out of the CE schools, currently only two Polish schools are approved.http://www.op.nysed.gov/medforms.htm However, not being approved does not prevent licensure. It only means that if one exceeds the 12 week limit of clinical rotations outside the home country of the medical school, one cannot do a residency in New York.

Hungarian schools do not feature on the Texas list of schools that do have to prove substantial equivalence. Again, this does not preclude licensure, it just makes it more difficult. However, there are a very significant number of physicians with Hungarian diplomas practicing in Texas.

yeah year after year Texas always proves to be one of the, if not THE toughest IMG unfriendly states to obtain residency. Have no clue why, its not such a great place, nice but not nicer than Cali or NY... dont quite understand that one.

neilc said:
dude, post all you want about CE schools. however, i think the school you are refering to is a romanian school....now, these schools are nowhere near the same as the hungarian/czech and even polish schools. they are dodgy, new and unappproved. so, any incriminating info you have about the romanian schools is really not news, nor does it remotely apply to this conversation. i have yet to see a romanian school mentioned in this thread, nor favorably mentioned by anyone other than an agent.

but, if you have any good info, post it. these little threats "oh, i have something on your school" without back up is simply childish.

none of these posts that i can see are an attack on st chris. they seem to be merely providing good information and points as to why st chris shouldn't even be mentioned on this thread.
Come on NeilC. "Over a Burger King" "Borrowed facilities" You know better.
These comments are not true.

The school has 3 large buildings leased and there are shops on one side of one building. We know this and it is posted on VMD. If someone asks about St. Chris current students and ones that have gone there should be welcomed to comment. That what's disgusted me and why I have posted here.
I have the same rights to post as everyone else. I'm a medical student but goes to a school that a lot of people do not like.

whuds said:
Come on NeilC. "Over a Burger King" "Borrowed facilities" You know better.
These comments are not true.

The school has 3 large buildings leased and there are shops on one side of one building. We know this and it is posted on VMD. If someone asks about St. Chris current students and ones that have gone there should be welcomed to comment. That what's disgusted me and why I have posted here.
I have the same rights to post as everyone else. I'm a medical student but goes to a school that a lot of people do not like.

I deserve to be the bearer of those comments, this is what I have heard from other students who have visited there, and at a residency interview from a guy from a Caribbean medical school who did his rotations in England, and his wife had seen the place St. Chris, so this is what I have heard. These are his comments directly from his wife. I do not like or dislike your school, only I have not heard good things about it from very reliable sources, and certainly would not consider St. Chris a great option, or even a top 10 or 15 as far as international Medical schools for students wishing to practice medicine in the US. Perhaps in the future that may change, but to say that it is any higher than top 15 would be dishonest and untrue at the moment.
good luck.

andwhat said:
I deserve to be the bearer of those comments, this is what I have heard from other students who have visited there, and at a residency interview from a guy from a Caribbean medical school who did his rotations in England, and his wife had seen the place St. Chris, so this is what I have heard. These are his comments directly from his wife. I do not like or dislike your school, only I have not heard good things about it from very reliable sources, and certainly would not consider St. Chris a great option, or even a top 10 or 15 as far as international Medical schools for students wishing to practice medicine in the US. Perhaps in the future that may change, but to say that it is any higher than top 15 would be dishonest and untrue at the moment.
good luck.

Obviously the term "very reliable" doesn't mean the same thing to you that it does to most of the rest of us.

as much as you dislike it, they do appear to be true statements. a lease is a rental, or "borrowed" building. shops in the same building, one of which happens to be a burger king, also appears to be true.

i agree that it is pretty irrelevent to anything, but the statements are true or very close to the truth.

you are welcome to comment, but you have to stop taking the questions surrounding your school personally. if the above statements are untrue, say this is wrong, and why it is wrong. if they are true, but irrelevent, you can state that as well. but, to claim that something is wrong simply because it is percieved as a negative by somebody and not yourself is a bit off. you like the school, and have a different system to decide what is important than another student may use. neither of you is "wrong".

neilc said:
as much as you dislike it, they do appear to be true statements. a lease is a rental, or "borrowed" building. shops in the same building, one of which happens to be a burger king, also appears to be true.

i agree that it is pretty irrelevent to anything, but the statements are true or very close to the truth.

you are welcome to comment, but you have to stop taking the questions surrounding your school personally. if the above statements are untrue, say this is wrong, and why it is wrong. if they are true, but irrelevent, you can state that as well. but, to claim that something is wrong simply because it is percieved as a negative by somebody and not yourself is a bit off. you like the school, and have a different system to decide what is important than another student may use. neither of you is "wrong".

and perhaps I was a bit too judgemental, just what threw me off was that it was mentioned as a 'great' school by you and a great option, hey you dont have to take it personal that you use borrowed facilities, we had our graduation ceremony at another library that was not technically ours and it was considered too as 'borrowed facilities', associated with international and language studies, because it is HUGE and extremely beautiful, although it is not technically ours, and we use it with other students to study (our own medical school library in Hungary was extremely small in my opinion but some could study there - definitely not me - it was more like a social gathering lol) and for our graduation ceremonies we used that huge library for International studies right next to our school, that doesnt mean that the school is of any less value - as this same library is also featured in our school brochure, it was just a comment, dude relax and lighten up a bit and dont take each and every comment so personally. This is a discussion forum meant for discussion. Nobody is trying to attack or criticize you.

neilc said:

The closest burger king to st chris is about 200 yards away in the mall

my bad then...was that always the case? or did st chris leave that building? just curious...i remember a pic posted before, so i was under the impression that it was the case. or maybe that pic had a pizza place?

again, IMHO, it is pretty irrelevent, unless you want easy access to fast food. one of the selling points of the czech hospitals was that they all served beer in the cafeteria. good stuff. i would have much preferred a pizza or a burger to the strange stuff we sometimes got served...

neilc said:
one of the selling points of the czech hospitals was that they all served beer in the cafeteria.

I am green with envy.

(Considering Hungary's alcoholism problem, there is no way that would have every gone over here. Keeping patients sober is a serious problem.)

the prob with ETOH is pretty significant in CR as well. almost everybody drinks beer, and a lot of it. in fact, when taking a patient history we were advised repeatedly to ask about alcohol consumption and beer consumption seperately, as most czechs don't consider beer alcohol. ha!

the patients oftentimes had beer as well, the docs were cool with a glass of beer with lunch or some other moderate amount.

neilc said:
the prob with ETOH is pretty significant in CR as well. almost everybody drinks beer, and a lot of it. in fact, when taking a patient history we were advised repeatedly to ask about alcohol consumption and beer consumption seperately, as most czechs don't consider beer alcohol. ha!

the patients oftentimes had beer as well, the docs were cool with a glass of beer with lunch or some other moderate amount.

Do they let the docs have a beer with lunch?? cause if THAT is the case... I am moving to CR tommorow!!

bts4202 said:
Do they let the docs have a beer with lunch?? cause if THAT is the case... I am moving to CR tommorow!!

i don't remember. i was drunk the whole time. :laugh:

in fact, when taking a patient history we were advised repeatedly to ask about alcohol consumption and beer consumption seperately, as most czechs don't consider beer alcohol. ha!

Reminds me of medschool, we had the same phenomenon. Beer is liquid bread (that is why the strongest beers are brewed during lent).

You wil alsol see that in france and to some extent in the UK. Nothing wrong with it as long as the amounts stay social. I have met more than one doc who was a better physician after 2 beers than most folks sober.

neilc said:
i don't remember. i was drunk the whole time. :laugh:

HAHA, sounds like my kind of place...