Best fellowships in Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poll for best fellowship in Pathology

• Surgical Pathology

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Dermatopathology

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • GI Pathology

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Hematopathology

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Cytopathology

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • GU Pathology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Molecular Pathology

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Transfusion Medicine

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Laboratory Medicine

• Breast Pathology

• GYN Pathology

• Chemistry

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Microbiology

• Thorasic and Cardiovascular pathology

• ENT Pathology

• Neuropathology

• Forensic Medicine

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Bone and Soft tissue Pathology

• Renal Pathology

• Total voters
Yeah agree train where you want to work to put yourself in a good position for local jobs that may pop up. The word of mouth jobs aren’t advertised so you have to be in the loop aka you need to be local.
Our private practice does not tend to advertise. The positions are usually filled by asking our colleagues at the big academic centers if they have good fellows etc that would fit our needs. Only if we don't find anyone through word of mouth do we put up an ad. Usually not necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Our private practice does not tend to advertise. The positions are usually filled by asking our colleagues at the big academic centers if they have good fellows etc that would fit our needs. Only if we don't find anyone through word of mouth do we put up an ad. Usually not necessary.

Yes same goes for some academic centers that have outlying community affiliated hospitals that have been bought out by the academic institution. Chairs will ask graduating trainees if they are interested. If they can’t find anyone then an ad will go out. That’s why I advocate people to train in the area they want to work so they are in the loop.

Reactions: 1 user
People are making YouTube videos about path fellowships? What a weird world we live in.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You left out Cardiovascular (non-ABP certified), I'm sure the four cardiovascular pathologists in the country feel snubbed...

Props for your channel though, I'll link it to a new thread. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always great to have a supportive spouse.
Especially one that posts on a path board. Obviously decisions made for family stability are of utmost importance.

I need a f'ing tracking bracelet on my "supportive spouse" these days which is what happens when you are too successful and work too much so YMMV.

I need a f'ing tracking bracelet on my "supportive spouse" these days which is what happens when you are too successful and work too much so YMMV.

I’m lucky (44 yrs same woman) but I have seen divorce (or 2) really nail a couple of my former partners financially so talk to an attorney EARLY just to line up as much of it as you can. None of this “frozen” or drained account bs. Zero surprises.

I’m lucky (44 yrs same woman) but I have seen divorce (or 2) really nail a couple of my former partners financially so talk to an attorney EARLY just to line up as much of it as you can. None of this “frozen” or drained account bs. Zero surprises.
Divorces in medicine are always about timing. When you divorce as a fellow, resident, med student it doesnt matter because you are broke when you divorce at my level **** gets crazy. I dont have 100m to split and be still rolling baller style, Im right in the sweet zone of destruction: just enough to retire early for the entire nest to be eaten by ravaging attorneys.

Divorces in medicine are always about timing. When you divorce as a fellow, resident, med student it doesnt matter because you are broke when you divorce at my level **** gets crazy. I dont have 100m to split and be still rolling baller style, Im right in the sweet zone of destruction: just enough to retire early for the entire nest to be eaten by ravaging attorneys.

That’s exactly where my partners were and between dot com bust and 2008 I believe several are still working, and not by choice. Everyone thought they had it made when we sold to what was later formed into Ameripath in 1996.

Just don’t do a fellowship at a crappy place with low volume. Choose your fellowship based on seeing consults, variety, and a high number of cases. The metrics by the ACGME for approving fellowship sites sux. Unfortunately many choose fellowships locations to remain in a region and give up quality of education, exposure, responsibility over cases for lifestyle and region. Do that after your done training. Why do so many want lifestyle so quickly rather than going to the best places after sacrificing so much money and time to get to this point?
What do you think is a good volume of cases for a program with a single fellow and no residents?

Last edited:
Reimbursement for molecular will be cut very soon. What many forget is that NGS etc is a pipeline for very very expensive treatment. Definitively important to alleviate suffering but there is only so much money. When the diagnostic modality and the therapeutic modality are developed by the same entity, (Roche or whatever) eventually there must be a reset. There’s just not enough money to pay for all this crap. NGS will be seriously and ferociously cut eventually. Too easy to set up. It’s not the NGS that drives it’s importance and relevance. It’s the therapeutics. And they are very very expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Roche owns
Foundation Medicine
Genentech
Ventana

Reactions: 1 users