best fitting and best looking white coat brands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicinePowder

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't mind doing my own dry cleaning. Got my coat from the hospital and it looks as if someone took some bed sheets and sewed it into a coat. Anyone recommend any particular brand? I dont' mind spending the extra cash. thnx

Members don't see this ad.

MedicinePowder said:
I don't mind doing my own dry cleaning. Got my coat from the hospital and it looks as if someone took some bed sheets and sewed it into a coat. Anyone recommend any particular brand? I dont' mind spending the extra cash. thnx

i started a thread 2months ago or so (i think)...in a rush now, so i can't look it up, but it's floating on SDN somewhre...good luck, and let us know what you choose! ;)

ramonaquimby said:
i started a thread 2months ago or so (i think)...in a rush now, so i can't look it up, but it's floating on SDN somewhre...good luck, and let us know what you choose! ;)

trust me. I did a search and couldnt' find any posts about specific white coat brands. anyone have the link or recommend any high-quality white coats?

MedicinePowder said:
trust me. I did a search and couldnt' find any posts about specific white coat brands. anyone have the link or recommend any high-quality white coats?

I've always liked the Landau company for all my scrubs. So if I didn't have the school buying for me, and I was really picky about it, I would get them any day of the week. I have the medical student coats from Landau and they fit awesome and feel really nice (they are pretty thick).

I have the Laundau med student coat too, and it's very nice but it doesn't fit us petite women very well. On the other hand, I ADORE the inside pockets.

I am going to hate having to store my long coat for my stint in med school..... :( I am a fan of my coat that I was give as a gift by the pulmonologist I served with in the Air Force. It fits me like it was tailored for me.....

The problem I made, and the rest of my fellow interns made, is not trying on the white coats WITH the pockets full. I look great without anything in the pockets....buttons nicely and makes me look extremely tall (which was exciting, since I am barely above 5 foot tall!). However, when I put more than my palm and a handbook in my pockets.....I can't get it buttoned without looking like I have hippo-hips!

So, in my search for new coats....I tried on just about every brand out there that was available in our bookstore and in the local scrub shop, including Landau. I wanted the french knots.

Finally, I noticed one of our OB docs had a cool coat. The back of it had the piece of ?sash? that wasn't sewn down completely, so when the pockets have weight in them, it doesn't press against the lower back...that drove me nuts. It has french knots. 100% cotton and very thick - I'm cold-natured, so it's perfect.

www.centraluniform.com It's the one that costs $50.00, but that includes 1 line of embroirdery. I purchased one, had to cut about 10 inches off the bottom, but it's perfect! I just ordered 4 more of them. The only bad thing - it takes a while to get them for some reason. My first one took about 3 weeks and it's been almost 3 weeks since I ordered my other 4. ???? Anyway, I've gotten tons of compliments on it and the other interns/residents have all taken down the name of the website.

Now, I am very petite...kind of chesty..so, things don't fit me well. When I tried on the OB/GYN's coat - who is incredibly skinny, but tall...it was a men's size 40 (they don't have women's sizes). It swallowed me. I was afraid to order a 34 or 36 and have it shrink up on me, so I got the 38. It did shrink up after only 2 washes and now, it's perfect. They will also do alterations if you call them. I just did my own.

Thanks for the info! They look really nice. If anyone else had trouble getting the site to come up, just add an "s". It's www.centraluniforms.com . Thanks again!

socuteMD said:
I have the Laundau med student coat too, and it's very nice but it doesn't fit us petite women very well. On the other hand, I ADORE the inside pockets.

nice, yeah I have no idea since i'm not petite and a woman. I love the inside pockets too, actually have too much stuff in them right now and have to cut down. During my IM clerkship we were doing a paracentesis so I took my coat off. I was writing the procedure note and my attending comes out of the room later with my coat and says 'you need to take stuff out of this, I can barely pick it up'. haha allright not that funny, but displays how heavy my coat is.

MedicinePowder said:

These people make the best to order. Not cheap, but they last. 3 inside pockets. heavy material, good stitchery(?)

www.medicalcoats.com