Clueless MD/PhD Looking for Residency App Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peritus_Medicus

MSTP Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - rising 2nd year MSTP student here. Apologies if this question has already been asked, but I'm looking for some advice on how to best use my *many* years in medical school to put me in the best position for residency since I have no idea what residency apps look like. (note: idk what specialty I'm pursuing, but so far I've enjoyed shadowing and content in less competitive subject areas)

1) Now that Step 1 is pass/fail, will my MD/PhD thesis (microbiology) demonstrate sufficient research interest for a research-focused residency, or will I need to significantly supplement my PhD work with more clinically-relevent/translational research?
2) Do extracurriculars/leadership positions help toward residency at all? In my time here, I will serve as a student rep on several committees, and have an opportunity to serve on my school's AdCom as a student member, but idk if that is even considered a good thing for residency
3) Any suggestions for planning toward residency? Any little-known awards or fellowships to keep an eye out for?

I'm not worried about residency at all, but want to give it my best shot (since I admittedly slacked off a bit for my med school app). Would appreciate a heads-up for any particular opportunities/areas to focus on. Many thanks for any advice, and I hope you have a great end to this academic year!

Members don't see this ad.

Your PhD research should be completely adequate for a research residency position. You'd be able to do either pure lab based research or translational research. Many people continue the same tyoe of work - because you are presumably interested in it, and you have built a skill set in it. It somewhat depends on how much you get done during your PhD -- I've seen applicants who are wildly successful, and some who seemed to struggle to get anything done (sometimes despite the best of intentions and work effort).

Extracurrics are minor pieces of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Now that Step 1 is pass/fail, will my MD/PhD thesis (microbiology) demonstrate sufficient research interest for a research-focused residency, or will I need to significantly supplement my PhD work with more clinically-relevent/translational research?

If you're applying for a PSTP in something related like infectious disease, you will be very competitive assuming your PhD is strong and the rest of your application has no red flags.

2) Do extracurriculars/leadership positions help toward residency at all? In my time here, I will serve as a student rep on several committees, and have an opportunity to serve on my school's AdCom as a student member, but idk if that is even considered a good thing for residency

Doesn't hurt, not a major factor typically.

3) Any suggestions for planning toward residency? Any little-known awards or fellowships to keep an eye out for?

Little known awards/fellowships like F30s and society grants (if applicable to your situation). Just kidding, those are well known. There aren't a ton that graduate students are eligible for.

I'm not worried about residency at all, but want to give it my best shot (since I admittedly slacked off a bit for my med school app). Would appreciate a heads-up for any particular opportunities/areas to focus on. Many thanks for any advice, and I hope you have a great end to this academic year!

If you have grades in med school and class ranks, obviously that will be important as well depending on how competitive the position is. Your essay should be well written. You'd be surprised sometimes you see them poorly written or with errors.

Reactions: 1 user